Thread: Strange Incident

Strange Incident

A few months ago I was in a 7-11 parking lot and as I started backing up a guy ran behind my car missing my rear bumper by inches. There was a pickup truck next to me with several pipes hanging out from the bed by several feet. The dude ran into one of the pipes hitting his head and knocking himself senseless. A few seconds later I saw him "come to" so to speak and stagger to his feet. I believe this incident was an attempted insurance scam that didn't come off as planned, i.e., I was supposed to hit the guy and he would then claim massive injury. He came out of nowhere very fast and I must have only missed him by an inch or two. Anyone here ever experience anything like this?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nope.

That was really popular over in England or Russia or something. A lot of people started mounting 360 degree view cameras on their cars.

If it happens make sure to gun it at the last minute so there is no one to sue you

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    That was really popular over in England or Russia or something. A lot of people started mounting 360 degree view cameras on their cars.

If it happens make sure to gun it at the last minute so there is no one to sue you
    Or, when you knock him down, keep backing up until you run over two bumps. The second bump is YOUR insurance.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Or carry him home, tie him up and give him a red ball gag, and call a buddy and tell him "spider caught a fly". I'll wait for you Pulp Fiction fans to recognize. Meanwhile I will return to my beverage. 10-4

A few years ago I was in the Ravenswood neighborhood on the near northside of Chicago at a stop light. On my left I seen an angry looking black male approaching my truck. He got within 5 feet of my door when all the sudden two Chicago police officers ran from around the corner and he booked it half a block before he was tackled and shackled. I honestly believe he was going to carjack me.
    Ever since then I have had awareness of those around me.
    FBHO

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Or carry him home, tie him up and give him a red ball gag, and call a buddy and tell him "spider caught a fly". I'll wait for you Pulp Fiction fans to recognize. Meanwhile I will return to my beverage. 10-4
    I laughed.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    I laughed.
    i lol'd
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by chiak47 View Post
    A few years ago I was in the Ravenswood neighborhood on the near northside of Chicago at a stop light. On my left I seen an angry looking black male approaching my truck. He got within 5 feet of my door when all the sudden two Chicago police officers ran from around the corner and he booked it half a block before he was tackled and shackled. I honestly believe he was going to carjack me.
    This guy must have started to sprint towards my car from at least 10 feet away. I turned my head fully around when I started to back up and did not see anyone anywhere near my car. I had noticed some people in an empty lot next to the 7-11 when I parked. If I hadn't been backing up very slowly I would have hit him. That being said, it was a lesson in maintaining situational awareness. Per a recent reality show, there are a lot of gypsies in the area of the incident so I was wondering if this was one of their scams.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    I laughed.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    A few months ago I was in a 7-11 parking lot and as I started backing up a guy ran behind my car missing my rear bumper by inches. There was a pickup truck next to me with several pipes hanging out from the bed by several feet. The dude ran into one of the pipes hitting his head and knocking himself senseless. A few seconds later I saw him "come to" so to speak and stagger to his feet. I believe this incident was an attempted insurance scam that didn't come off as planned, i.e., I was supposed to hit the guy and he would then claim massive injury. He came out of nowhere very fast and I must have only missed him by an inch or two. Anyone here ever experience anything like this?
    I knew a guy who lived in the "Southtowns" of Western New York (translation: Lots of snow and ski resorts).

A lot of people from Canada, Ohio and Pennsylvania go there in the winter to ski.

This guy used to stand at a corner with a stoplight, then wait until he saw a car from out of town (i.e. a non NY license plate).

When the car would start rolling after the light turned green, he would step out in front of the car and get hit at about 2 mph (no injury), but he would put on an act, have an ambulance called and of course he also had a witness.

The insurance company for the poor slob that he scammed would end up settling out of court for anywhere from $50K to $150K.

This was the guy's sole income!

As far as I know, he's still doing it today. How some computer database doesn't "put 2 and 2 together" is beyond me.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Hopefully you were armed......
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I knew a guy who lived in the "Southtowns" of Western New York (translation: Lots of snow and ski resorts).

A lot of people from Canada, Ohio and Pennsylvania go there in the winter to ski.

This guy used to stand at a corner with a stoplight, then wait until he saw a car from out of town (i.e. a non NY license plate).

When the car would start rolling after the light turned green, he would step out in front of the car and get hit at about 2 mph (no injury), but he would put on an act, have an ambulance called and of course he also had a witness.

The insurance company for the poor slob that he scammed would end up settling out of court for anywhere from $50K to $150K.

This was the guy's sole income!

As far as I know, he's still doing it today. How some computer database doesn't "put 2 and 2 together" is beyond me.
    More than likely he has multiple social security numbers.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Or, when you knock him down, keep backing up until you run over two bumps. The second bump is YOUR insurance.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Hopefully you were armed......
    In Chicago....LMAO
    FBHO

I know someone who was alone at a stop light at like 3am in Omaha and had a man run towards him, saw him via rearview. The guy was almost to the car when the light turned green and he sped off, but he had his hand on a Ruger sp101 if the light hadn't turned green in time. Also a friend told me how her husband knows a guy who drives around looking for insurance claims. He was riding with the insurance scammer, and the insurance scammer suddenly yells out look out, this is going to be a big one, puts his arm in front of my friends husband to shield him, and slams on the brakes, causing the guy behind them to crash into them. Caching. A guy I used to work with told me about trucking in a big city one night, alone at a stop light some guy jumped on the step of the cab and was trying to open the door. The driver reached over and held up his pistol, the guy grabbed a hammer or some other tool from his pants and tried smashing the window, so the guy shot him through the door. The criminal fell off the truck and the truck took off, and found a cop car a few blocks down. The driver went up to the cop and said hey I just shot a guy who tried to get in my truck, he's laying back there in the street. The cop said wtf are you telling me for, take off.
    Last edited by 5.56NATO; 01-17-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"