Thread: I got a motorcycle...

I got a motorcycle...

Its a known brand but not as much as Honda, Kawasaki ,etc.... Not sold in stores...

You can read my bitchings here.
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/111...xtr-230-sc-qs/

But please respond HERE if you can help.

BISHOP

I've worked at CycleGear selling motorcycle stuff for the past 5 years, and I have no idea what a Pitster is. First recommendation would be to change all fluids.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

Its a Pitster Pro. From what I can find on the web is that they are good bikes. That's it.

What I can see after days of looking in to them.
    They are a good bike for those starting in racing. it gives you a nice working rolling frame for a cheep price. The engine is fine but won't win you anything unless you tweek it.
    And that is why you get them mailed to you in a crate, and there are no assembly instructions, or break in instructions. Its for people that know what they are doing.

What I need to find is a mechanic that knows dirt bikes and give mine a once-through and fix all of the little things.
    I only want it as a in town vehicle, no long 200 mile runs...

BISHOP

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

A link with no comment is empty.

None of those are mine. I have a XTR 230SC. At least mine has a frame in front of the engine, and is a road bike.

BISHOP

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Did you not peruse it a bit? It called for 10W40 premium petroleum based oil in the engine...no synthetics. Also, it would be an educated guess that it had the wet plates type of transmission, which would likely use the engine oil as the transmission oil.
    Look thru their web site and see what you can find
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Sorry, I did. I didn't notice an oil reference. Sorry..

BTW my new bike.

BISHOP

That's ok, I miss a lot also. They sound like pretty good bikes. Have fun with it. My last bike was a 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade. I got too old for a heavy bike like that and gave ot to some friends last year. Hopefully I can replace it sometime soon.

DAMN N/A. I have been doing searches for 4 days and those pages are the most informative pages I have ever read on the compatibility on this bike.

BISHOP

sorry to say it but in my eyes your keyboard commando status has diminished some. J/K. good lookin bike I hope it works for what you need it for.
    with coming in a crate and no instructions, that sounds like fun!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    DAMN N/A. I have been doing searches for 4 days and those pages are the most informative pages I have ever read on the compatibility on this bike.

BISHOP
    You're welcome, glad I could help. What I'm about to say may sound like I'm a dick, but it's not meant that way. All I have for internet access is an AT&T month-to-month Go Phone...but it uses Bing as the default search engine. I like it better than Google that I always had on the computer at home.

If you don't use it, you might try it for awhile. Good luck with the bike.

If it's been sitting for a while and won't idle your pilot jet in the carburetor is probrably clogged and your float might be sticking too. Modern gas is shit and gums up a carb quicker than you think. Also, if it is a high compression engine it might not run on stale gas.

I had a Honda CRF250X with 13.5:1 pistons in it and it wouldn't run on gas that was more than a few months old. My bets that the carbs dirty though.

Another thing that will make it not run, especially when it is hot is the valve lash going out of adjustment. I doubt that is your problem though with the low hours on the bike. That starts to happen to Hondas around 100 hours.

Another thing, you'll have to learn to dick with the air fuel mixture in the idle circuit on the carb more than you think. The small high performance engines seem very sensitive to air temperature and altitude. There should be a little knob to allow your to make these adjustments quickly (not a screw driver).

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Betting gas too. Carb is gunked up. I can't leave gas sit in my 87 CR125 for over the season. Same for my 83 Honda Ascott 500. I have to remove both carbs and clean them to get them running right. The Ascot will idle but not rev higgher than 1/4 throttle. Fing gas BS. I swear they do it on purpose so we can't store gas. How about some better shots of the engine, looks like a honda XR engine from the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Betting gas too. Carb is gunked up. I can't leave gas sit in my 87 CR125 for over the season. Same for my 83 Honda Ascott 500. I have to remove both carbs and clean them to get them running right. The Ascot will idle but not rev higgher than 1/4 throttle. Fing gas BS. I swear they do it on purpose so we can't store gas. How about some better shots of the engine, looks like a honda XR engine from the pics.
    Out here all of the gas has 10% Ethanol for cheap octane booster to replace MTBE I think the high level of oxygen in the ethanol is supposed to help with smog. It doesn't last for shit.

I am now in contact with a guy from Pitster Pro
    He said for parts compatibility the engine is like a Honda CRF230 and the Frame, suspension and plastics (fenders, shrouds) are that of a KTM 85.

BISHOP

Bishop - nice looking bike.

As one post said, change all fluids for starters. You haven't said but I am assuming that this is a 4-cycle engine, not a 2-cycle (gas/oil mix). If it IS a 4-cycle motor, you might want to use a good 10W-30 if the temperatures get no higher than 40 degrees, at least until you get it running well. Above 40, you should use 10W-40 as the engine may tend to run hot.

While those tires aren't off-road "knobbies", they aren't exactly a "road tread" either. They may not have that good a traction as street tires would. Also, with the long travel of those shocks, your handlebars could be going up & down like a pogo stick on a rough road. Keep a good grip on them!

Have fun and "keep the dirty side down"!!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice looking bike. I'll be looking for how you come out with it.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Out here all of the gas has 10% Ethanol for cheap octane booster to replace MTBE I think the high level of oxygen in the ethanol is supposed to help with smog. It doesn't last for shit.
    Same here. They're talking about going to 20% now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Same here. They're talking about going to 20% now.
    supposedly anything over 15% can fuck up the fuel system in your car if it's not designed for it. Hell, a lot of people will tell you 10% will. It sure doesn't do it any favors if the gas sits in it for any amount of time.