Thread: Cuban classic 50s cars.

Cuban classic 50s cars.

Who do you think will be down there with cash in hand to buy those cars? Individuals or a corporate sponsor? Both?

IMHO that entire country has a coastal climate with a high salt content in the air. I would bet most of those cars are rolling death traps once you really started looking at them. Probably more bondo than sheetmetal at this point.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I lived on Vancouver island for a while and there were cars there from the 60's and 70's with absolutely no rust. The most extreme example of this that i personally experienced was an early 70's volvo with absolutely every speck of paint gone off it. just bare metal over the entire thing and there was no rust. I drove a 1989 Saab while i was there that i got for a song and it had no rust. almost 180,000 miles on it and even the exhaust manifold was still silver.

Edit: on the other hand i could only imagine what the inside would be like after being used non stop for that long in a third world country.
    Last edited by rci2950; 01-23-2015 at 04:18 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    IMHO that entire country has a coastal climate with a high salt content in the air. I would bet most of those cars are rolling death traps once you really started looking at them. Probably more bondo than sheetmetal at this point.
    Yep. I wouldn't pay a dime for any of those cars. They are probably so pieced-together after all these years that they could be real-life examples of the car in the Johnny Cash song. If anything, those cars are modern abstract art masterpieces.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

The most value in an antique automobile is the title and ID plates.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
    The most value in an antique automobile is the title and ID plates.
    What so some jackass can cut the VIN off of the frame and weld it onto a reproduction frame, build a new car up from scratch and sell it at an auction for $1M as a "cuban survivor"?

Most have old soviet diesel power under the hoods....
    FBHO