http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...hunt-bargains/

to hunt bargains
    Aalia Shaheed

By Aalia Shaheed
    Published January 23, 2015
    FoxNews.com
    Facebook572 Twitter530 livefyre403 Email Print
    gunbuyback1.jpg

The program took in more than 100 guns, but firearms enthusiasts claimed they made out even better. [Courtesy: Newport Police Department]

A recent gun buyback event in Oregon, aimed at curbing the number of weapons on the street, turned into a planned profit making opportunity for a group of firearms enthusiasts.

The Jan. 17 event was co-sponsored by Central Coast Ceasefire Oregon and the Newport Police Department, who offered gift cards to superstore Fred Meyer in return for guns, no questions asked. A sliding scale meant assault rifles fetched $175 gift cards each, and high capacity magazines were worth $25 credits at the store, which ironically sells firearms.

Second Amendment supporters took to OpenCarry.org’s forum to spread the word about the event, and to plan out their attendance to make maximum profit.

“A $25 gift card for "high capacity magazines - like the ones you can buy for $8?” questioned one forum member.

"The turn-in does not pretend to be a market value exchange.”

- Julie Wheeler, Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation

Another forum member, named "We-the-People," explained he would be attending the event to “make $200 profit off of the two junker pistols that I purchased for the purpose.”

Members also planned to intercept attendees bringing in valuable guns, offering them cash before they could go inside and accept the gift cards.

“I picked up five weapons including a Model 11 Remington SemiAuto 12-gauge from 1926, a Mossberg bolt-action 20-gauge from 1947-1950… AND a pre-1900, 12-gauge breech action with Damascus barrel......AND....... a couple of 22 pistols,” wrote the member.

Lauded by organizers as a way to “avoid an unexpected tragedy, and show support for victims of gun violence,” the event netted a total of 138 guns. Those that pass background checks will be melted.

A blogger named ‘Tom in Oregon’ took toTheTruthAboutGuns.com to discuss his experience at the turn-in event. In a post titled “Who Says Gun ‘Buy Backs’ Are a Bad Thing,” he writes about how he gathered up his “jam-o-matics” to cash in.

“I walked up to the first table and handed a Newport P.D. officer my grocery sack with the three zip-tied pieces of pot metal disguised as pistols. He didn’t take a second look at them as he piled them on a cart that probably had 75-100 guns of all flavors of rust,” wrote the blogger.

"Tom in Oregon" wrote that the event was so popular, organizers actually ran out of gift cards. However, they promised to mail them to those who traded in guns and ammo.

“So I had a nice drive to the coast, spent about $25 in diesel, and in a couple weeks should have $375 in gift cards that I will turn into either ammo, or a subcompact carry piece of a more modern and reliable nature," he wrote. "I love it when a plan comes together.”

Julie Wheeler, president of Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation, acknowledged that a profit can be made through these events, but insists that is not always the case.

“The opposite is also possible," Wheeler told FoxNews.com in an e-mail. "Some firearms come in that are much more valuable than the awarded gift cards. The turn-in does not pretend to be a market value exchange.”

A 2004 study by the National Research Council cast doubt on whether the programs actually make Americans safer, finding the “guns that are typically surrendered in gun buy-backs are those that are least likely to be used in criminal activities,” explains the study

“In contrast, those who are either using guns to carry out crimes or as protection in the course of engaging in other illegal activities, such as drug selling, have actively acquired their guns and are unlikely to want to participate in such programs," the study said.

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids."

- Clint Eastwood
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

do these fools think drug dealers are going to turn in their guns for a small amount of cash? It might be a good way to get rid of a burner though if it is one of those no questions asked kind of events.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    do these fools think drug dealers are going to turn in their guns for a small amount of cash? It might be a good way to get rid of a burner though if it is one of those no questions asked kind of events.
    You don't think people making a few grand on a good night and having most of their bills paid by uncle sugar would turn in their prized lorcin for a $100 gift card?

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    You don't think people making a few grand on a good night and having most of their bills paid by uncle sugar would turn in their prized lorcin for a $100 gift card?
    I suppose it depends on what it would cost them to replace it.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

i got some crap i would trade for $100 gift cards.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

That new law in Washington state makes it illegal for citizens to buy the guns before they sell them to the police. I wonder if that was part of the plan for that law.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I spoke with the organizer of Ceasefire Oregon a the turn in by my house a couple years ago and she honestly did not know the difference between a full auto and a semi auto and how one must go thru the NFA process to get a full auto. She was completely ignorant. but she did say we need to do something to keep kids from being killed by firearms every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    That new law in Washington state makes it illegal for citizens to buy the guns before they sell them to the police. I wonder if that was part of the plan for that law.
    I don't think the interns who drafted that law even know what it means.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I still think these Democrat delights are the best way to dispose of a gun used in a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I still think these Democrat delights are the best way to dispose of a gun used in a crime.
    As planned.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I think mandatory background check laws were designed to put an end to us poaching at these events.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    I think mandatory background check laws were designed to put an end to us poaching at these events.
    That and to stop legal face-to-face transfers between law abiding citizens and to increase tax revenue. It certainly won't stop criminals from buying and selling guns, especially since the guns were most likely acquired illegally.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I was talking to my ffl recently and asked him about how many people have come in for nics check on private sales. He said zero. He also said he won't do them because of the cost and hassle. In order to do the check he has to log the gun into his inventory. And he's not allowed to charge for that. Therefore he refuses. I asked him about what other ffls are doing and he said it's the same.

Therefore we can assume nobody is actually obeying this shit law.

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

I know it still goes on a lot even out here in the land of fruits and nuts. It can get you into a lot of trouble and I wouldn't risk it but it happens all of the time. Luckily I have a local home FFL who will do a transfer for $25. He's my go to guy for internet purchases.