Thread: Anybody here ever build a metal carport?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Anybody here ever build a metal carport?

I have a metal building I want to repair-namely replace several of the panels. How much drill do I need to run those self-tapping screws into the steel frame? I have a 9v that I know will not last long.

Do I need a hammer drill?

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I put one together that my wifes great grandparents bought... Pure junk. Really thin sheet metal roof with galvanized steel tube frame screwed into a sheet metal track and bolted to concrete. Doesn't sound bad, until you get 6 inches of hard packed wet snow and ice piled on the roof. It collapsed immediately after her grandpa pulled the jeep out of it one morning, busted the railing off the walk way and destroyed the storm door. Fortunately it missed the jeep and her grandpa, but only barely. I used a 12v power drill on the self tapping screws. If what you bought was anything like this, be sure to keep the snow from piling up on it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Impact driver?
    I know I use a 18v rechargeable on decks, and I run em all day, no issues...

This is a pretty heavy building, not a Lowe's special. I guess an 18v with two batteries will do .Thanks guys.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    18 volt Dewalts work great. Keep one battery on the charger. If you think you might need it later, get a Dewalt that is also a hammer drill. It will be real handy if you ever have to drill with a masonry bit.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

you don't need a hammer drill for self tappers but like N/A said if you need to drive any anchors into concrete it's a must. I have been using an impact driver exclusively for driving screws and it works much better than a drill.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    you don't need a hammer drill for self tappers but like N/A said if you need to drive any anchors into concrete it's a must. I have been using an impact driver exclusively for driving screws and it works much better than a drill.
    This. Im a contractor who does a ton of decks, and drywall work, and I haven't used a drill in years, impacts are the way...

So, I don't need a hammer drill or impact for self-tapping screws on this project?

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    So, I don't need a hammer drill or impact for self-tapping screws on this project?
    they are two different things, hammer drill is like it says, it hammers the bit in. Try drilling into concrete or masonry with and without one and you will understand why you need one for that job.

Impact is like an air impact wrench but smaller and usually battery powered. Works great for getting screws driven and tight.

This is what I would use. Not sure what kind of batteries you have, there are so many different kinds now days.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-To...=dewalt+impact

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Impacts are great in addition to a normal drill.

You don't always want the full-on power of the impact, and at others you'll want a hammer capability.

Strictly for running self-tappers through sheet metal, the impact will be great. Just remember to wear hearing protection. Your hearing as an old man won't care how macho you are now.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"