Thread: Newb's Adams Arms piston build...eventually.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Newb's Adams Arms piston build...eventually.

Apologies for the slowness of getting this build going as I said I would from the original thread I posted about the sale on them back in August '14, http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...rms-piston-kit. Tardiness due to preparing for son to be here (next month!!!), work, and probably a good dose of laziness, lol. So, without further ado, some pics of the parts I've gathered so far.

First pic is an overall look of what I'm going for. I'll be using a blemished upper and lower from PSA, lower parts kit w/ Magpul MOE grip and trigger guard in FDE, piston kit from Adams Arms, barrel from Voodoo Innovations (mid-length system 5.56, 16", 1/7 twist), Samson handguard (Evolution Series 9 EX). The stock shown is Ergo Grip's F93 Pro Stock in FDE which I found for a heckuva deal recently, but I had also bought a BCM stock kit before and was thinking of trying BCM's new Gunfighter stock in FDE if I can ever find one in stock. Note: I was told that the Ergo Grip stock was actually Magpul's original design for their UBR stock (I think). Whether true or not, I have no idea.
    20150129_141210.jpg

A few closer pics:
    20150129_141744.jpg
    20150129_141542.jpg
    20150129_141530.jpg
    20150129_141519.jpg
    20150129_141355.jpg
    20150129_141257.jpg
    20150129_141234.jpg

My plan is to have the upper, lower, and handguard coated in Duracoat SL (self lubricating) in FDE and the smaller parts like dustcover, pins, and maybe the buffer tube in Duracoat matte black for a nice contrast. I haven't made a final decision for the muzzle device, but thinking I'll just go with a YHM Phantom flash hider. I also haven't decided on which BUIS I'm going to use. I have a set of diamond head sights, but I had gotten those for a .308 AR. I need to double check to see if the one's I got are ok for .308s or just for 5.56. Either way I'll need another set of sights.

For some reason I thought the kit I bought had the gas block with a pic rail built in, but as you can see in the above pic it's a rounded type without pic rail. No big deal really as it should work fine with the rail I bought (thinking the kit had the pic rail gas block).

Next step will be to degrease all the parts to get them ready for coating. I haven't checked the directions for the duracoat, which my wife got me for Christmas, to see what they recommend as degreaser. Buddy at work, who is going to do the coating application for me, says to use acetone.

Now the issue is if I can stay motivated enough to get the parts degreased and coated before my boy gets here, lol.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well without the rail you're going to have a short front sight placement. You might want to contact Adams Arms and see if it would be possible to do a gas block swap. Otherwise you won't really be taking advantage of that open topped FF Handguard.

On degreaser, acetone is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well without the rail you're going to have a short front sight placement. You might want to contact Adams Arms and see if it would be possible to do a gas block swap. Otherwise you won't really be taking advantage of that open topped FF Handguard.

I just did a rough mock up of the build sight radius and it'd be the same as my carbine sight radius, so I'm not really out anything so far. That could change though once I actually put the parts together for a rough fit. Even if they wouldn't swap me out, I kind of like the thought of the gas block I have tucked in the end of the rail. I'll post another pic when I get there.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Is that a 7" gas system Carbine like the M4 or a 9" Middy Carbine?

Middy. Since my gas black doesn't have the built in pic rail on top I will mount my front sight as far forward on rail as I can, which equals to about a carbine length sight radius with a rear flip up sight as far back as possible.
    Last edited by NewbieAKguy; 02-09-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Update: With the birth of my son this past Wednesday, I decided to call a local applier about having my parts duracoated. During our chat he gave me a pretty good price on cerakoting, with the same colors, and I sent him my parts yesterday, lol. He suggested going for cerakote for the fact it can be used asap too, compared to duracoat. Also, I finally got my hands on a fde BCM Gunfighter stock, so I'll have to decide which goes on this rifle build and the other on the next build.....which will be duracoated for sure.

I really want to have a fair comparison of the two. This would mean allowing the duracoat to cure a full 3-4 weeks (I'd go 4 weeks just because) as per its recommendation for full effect. Sooooooooo since I still have another stripped & blemished upper and lower for another project, how should I build it....... I'm thinking maybe an 18" barrel with 1/8 twist for a dmr-ish look. Input always welcome!
    Last edited by NewbieAKguy; 03-23-2015 at 10:35 AM.

If you want something longer I say go standard 20" like the gas system was originally designed for. You'll pick up about 100 fps with the extra 2" of barrel. The puny 5.56 round works because of speed so more is better. And you'll be able to mount a standard bayonet if you do it right.

don't remember seeing the post about the birth of
    your child. congratulations!! I hope all of you are ok
    and starting to settle in.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    don't remember seeing the post about the birth of
    your child. congratulations!! I hope all of you are ok
    and starting to settle in.
    Thanks buddy. I did an update in the GD forum. We're all doing well.

Update: parts are just about ready to be shipped back. The place I have doing it sent me a pic. From what I see I like it a lot. Now I'm regretting not having the gas block, buffer tube and barrel 'koted, lol! Also, is it ok to have the inside of the upper and lower 'koted? Guy doing mine warned of possible tolerance problems. I was originally inspired to get cerakote after watching MAC's youtube vid of a rifle he had done, and as far as I can tell he had the inside done as well. Oh well, not that big a deal overall.

And now for a pic:
    10949792_423972814442812_1423884043_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post

I emailed Adams Arms and they said that I can make an exchange for a railed gas block, but it'd cost me an "upgrade" fee of $25 dollars and I'd have to pay shipping both ways. Here I thought the non-railed gb I have was the "upgrade" but I guess not.

So with that dear readers, QUESTIONS: 1. Think it's worth the extra costs just to get an extra inch or two of sight radius?

2. Do I risk burning my hand trying to flip up the front irons, say during a 3-gun competition or whatev, or would the pict. gas block
    insulate enough not to?

TIA

my 11" gun uses a similar piston setup. the FSB stays luke warm under normal conditions.

I cant remember if it was adams or osprey who made the first bushmaster conversions, that's what I got . Can shoot all day and the guts just need a wipe down.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I doubt you'll burn your fingers flipping up a front sight clamped to a pic rail gas block.

On the cerakote inside the upper causing a problem, couldn't say for sure. I have no experience with Cerakote, don't know how much it builds up in depth. I do have a lot of experience with Gun Kote and it is very thin. I would not expect it to cause a tolerance problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    my 11" gun uses a similar piston setup. the FSB stays luke warm under normal conditions.

I cant remember if it was adams or osprey who made the first bushmaster conversions, that's what I got . Can shoot all day and the guts just need a wipe down.
    Thanks for the info. I googled around a bit for any issues like that but didn't come across anything.

Schuetzenman

I doubt you'll burn your fingers flipping up a front sight clamped to a pic rail gas block.

On the cerakote inside the upper causing a problem, couldn't say for sure. I have no experience with Cerakote, don't know how much it builds up in depth. I do have a lot of experience with Gun Kote and it is very thin. I would not expect it to cause a tolerance problem.
    That's what I'm thinking too. I asked Adams Arms rep if there's any chance of that and he said that their sponsored 3-gunners use the pict. gas block without any heat (hand burning) issues, so I'm leaning towards doing the swap.

As for cerakoting the inside, I also contacted them and they recommend 'koting everthing, inside and out (as does Duracoat and their SL version) because it's applied thingly too (.001 I think) so I already had the insides 'koted. Once I get the gas block swapped I'm going to have some spots touched up on the upper and lower, and also get the gas block, buffer tube and barrel 'koted. Now, do I 'kote the barrel in fde or matte black? Hmmmmmmmm........

Matching or contrasting color on the barrel. Well that comes down to opinion and personal taste. I did my O.D. Green AR in 2 Tones, contrast looks nice to me anyway.