Thread: Something I never considered

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Something I never considered

until recently. Was reading a thread on another forum about folks getting brand new knives delivered with less than stellar sharpness. Several posters mentioned how this was a major issue for folks that don't sharpen their own knives. I guess I never really thought about it before. I've always sharpened my pocket knives since I was young. Sure, I didn't do a great job at first and after 40+ years there are a few models I have, usually the largest/longest or certain serrated blades that I can't accommodate and will send back to the manufacturer for sharpening. Also on used and abused blades I find I will often ship back for a "spa treatment" which usually entails re-profiling and or a tune up with regards to lockup, bladeplay, etc. Things better addressed by the factory than myself.

The idea that someone would purchase and use a knife, often quite expensive one at that and not have the most basic skillset and or equipment to touchup an edge just seem bizarre. Maybe it's more common then I'm aware of? Do these same folks shoot their firearms and then take them to a gunsmith or ship them back to the manufacturer for a cleaning? When I first read those comments I though, "Yeah, there's a problem here but it's not that the factory shipped a dull knife".

You guys do sharpen your knives don't you?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I have a Lansky sharpener that does the job quite nicely. Just have to be patient and go through the stones.

Scott
    Always Remember:
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
    (I don't know who to credit but I like the quote.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Most people don't know how to sharpen knives. And many who try never get as sharp as the factory edge. Then there's people like me, when I buy someone a knife as a gift, I open it up and sharpen it for them first, 'cause it just wouldn't do to give a knife that's not sharp to MY standards.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

I too have the Lansky system. It was my go to sharpener before I picked up a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Now days I use the Sharpmaker for daily touchup duties and I've got a Wicked Edge system for major reprofiling tasks so the Lansky doesn't get much use any more. Also have a buck tri-stone setup I use for larger kitchen type cutlery. Just took me by surprise that a dull edge on a knife was such a big deal. Someone posted that folks might not sharpen their more expensive knives out of fear they will scratch them or damage the edge due to their lack of skill. That may be true but if the are afraid to scratch the blade are they even using the knife in the first place?

To me a knife, regardless of price is a tool and part of being a tool owner is not only understanding the proper use of the tool but also maintaining it. Obviously I don't recalibrate my torque wrenches if they get out of whack but my other tools get cleaned, tightened, sharpened, etc. I understand folks that have kitchen knives only not being set up to sharpen them but anyone who carries a blade on a daily basis should be able to maintain that blade. Heck, I kind of find the sharpening part of it relaxing if not always enjoyable.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I have a stone at the work bench and use it often. Does anyone use a leather belt to finish?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I've gotten so I cheat, now, on having a sharp knife. I used to spend a lot of time sharpening blades but found that I dulled them pretty quickly. To stop spending so much time sharpening, I started using those folding utility knives that use single-edged razor blades. When a blade gets dull, I flip it, then when that gets dull, I replace it. Now, I'm only a few seconds from a razor sharp edge. (I love the newer spring operated, assisted-opening, utility knives.)

Of course, the utility knife is for lighter work and when I need a heavier-duty blade, I use a regular knife, but 95% of my knife usage is on lighter-duty stuff,
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    I have a stone at the work bench and use it often. Does anyone use a leather belt to finish?

I've got a couple of strops, homemade and store bought. I've tried them on occasion with my more "standard" grind blades but haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. Now for the knives I have with a convex edge, mostly my Bark River Bravo 1, Trail Buddy, etc., it works great and is basically how I keep those blades nice and sharp. As with anything else it pays to not let them get too dull. If I stay on top of them a few swipes on the strop with green compound it puts the hair popping edge right back on.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I suck at sharpening knives. my dad can sharpen a knife to where you can shave with it, I have tried to learn but cant seem to get the knack.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I suck at sharpening knives. my dad can sharpen a knife to where you can shave with it, I have tried to learn but cant seem to get the knack.
    I tell you what. The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a real breeze to use and does a really good job. If you can hold a knife and raise your hand up and down you can pretty much keep a sharp knife in your pocket with a Sharpmaker. It's dead easy and they don't cost an arm and a leg.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068