Thread: I see good deals on refurbished power tools but...

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I see good deals on refurbished power tools but...

I wonder how much use they saw and if it's a good bet to purchase one. I am looking to get a table saw.I expect to pay around $3-400 bucks. The Sears saw looks good and gets good reviews. I see saws on google that are refurbs for good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I wonder how much use they saw and if it's a good bet to purchase one. I am looking to get a table saw.I expect to pay around $3-400 bucks. The Sears saw looks good and gets good reviews. I see saws on google that are refurbs for good prices.
    About 20 years ago I bought a reman DeWalt cordless drill. It still works today though I can't say the same of many other new DeWalt tools I've purchased since then.
    Of course, YMMV.
    CHOOT UM!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

One way to look at it is that whatever went wrong with it has been fixed now.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I once read that puchasing referbed tools is a good deal because unlike the other tools, refurbished tools have much more stringent quality check everything HAS to work perfectly. Its a factory cost measure and that it would cost so much for that tool to be returned again.

BISHOP

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

we have a few power tools that are well over 20 years old that were bought from a refurb factory outlet. one was a drill, the chuck has since been stripped out from my grandfather using it one time, and lettting a bit spin in the chuck instead of tightening it (it is a replacable part) other than that, all are still going strong.

eta- i am talking about a contracting business here, not a one time use by a homeowner to hang a picture. they were not babied and were used regularly.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

By the Way, Is Chicago Tool any good? I see them at Harbor Freight Tools. Knowing that most of the Stuff in the Store is Chinese, I was wondering if anyone here had used some of their Power Tool's? Are they any good? Paul

Wonder if the refurbs have the same warrantee?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    By the Way, Is Chicago Tool any good? I see them at Harbor Freight Tools. Knowing that most of the Stuff in the Store is Chinese, I was wondering if anyone here had used some of their Power Tool's? Are they any good? Paul
    i have a number of HF's Chicago branded items like their Earthquake Impact driver, a 21 gallon air compressor, various other air tools, their torque wrenches and their flux core welder, just to name a few items. so far all of the tools do their job well except for the "various other air tools" and only because they were the ultra cheap ones and are under powered. step up their line and their power gets better. the Earthquake air impact rocks! many of their hand tools work as advertised such as deepwell sockets, open/box end wrenches, nut drivers, etc.

i have no complaints with 95% of the stuff i get at Harbor Freight. when used in a homeowner and garage mechanic capacity the stuff works fine. about a third of my tools came from there especially specialty type items that i might use only a handful of times. if i was a contractor or a shop mechanic i would invest heavily in higher quality tools though.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Thanks I hear you. They just opened a new Store on US1` near the Treasure Coast Mall in Jensen Beach. north of me. I have only bought a Crowbar, and 17inch Cresent Wrench from them. Some small Nail's and Screw's and parts, so Far. Paul

Craigslist may be a good place to check for local tools.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

What about the Craftsman table saw? It's $289.00 new and has good ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    About 20 years ago I bought a reman DeWalt cordless drill. It still works today though I can't say the same of many other new DeWalt tools I've purchased since then.
    Of course, YMMV.
    Where tools are made makes a big difference. A complete combination wrench set that costs $19.95 and made in China isn't likely to last more than 1/2 of one job.

Of course, the same set made by Snap-On will cost over $300 but it will last a lifetime (then you pass them on to your son and they last his lifetime).

Sears Craftsman used to be good Made in USA stuff... sadly no longer.

An old, rebuilt American made tool is probably the best of both worlds (less $$$ and made in USA).
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Look at the tool. If it's made in China, don't waste your money.

All of my tools are US made (with the exception of a few speciality tools such as a Mitoyo micrometer (Japanese) and a few old German made tools).
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Where tools are made makes a big difference. A complete combination wrench set that costs $19.95 and made in China isn't likely to last more than 1/2 of one job.

Of course, the same set made by Snap-On will cost over $300 but it will last a lifetime (then you pass them on to your son and they last his lifetime).

Sears Craftsman used to be good Made in USA stuff... sadly no longer.

An old, rebuilt American made tool is probably the best of both worlds (less $$$ and made in USA).
    +1 I've broken several craftsman ratchets.

I ordered a Dewalt DW745 table saw. Amazon is the devil when I get a few beers in me.

[QUOTE=Krupski;406742]Look at the tool. If it's made in China, don't waste your money.
    Krupski, my Stanley Socket Set, does not say made in USA or China on it. Is Stanley one of the Good one's? Not even the Case is Stamped where it was Made? Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I ordered a Dewalt DW745 table saw. Amazon is the devil when I get a few beers in me.
    If that's the model with screw adjustment for the fence, and I think it is, it's a good saw but you want to keep the screws clear of dust.
    It's kind of a worm drive set up for the fence adjustment. Sawdust gets in the bolts and binds them up. Blow them out regularly and apply some dry lube
    CHOOT UM!