Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might take an AR plunge...

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Might take an AR plunge...

I have been thinking about an AR. I really don't care for one but it falls into the "just because". Cabela's has a Ruger AR-556 on sale for 630 bucks. Anyone have one? All the reviews I have read give the rifle an ok. I know there are higher end ARs out there but I don't shoot competition or long ranges. I have other rifles for shooting way out there.....chris

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I say go for it. You will enjoy it. You may also find yourself customizing it, however, as ARs are Barbie Dolls for men (and grown women). Pick some some $9 Magpul Pmags, a few boxes of bulk .223 or 5.56, and you're good-to-go.

Pmags:
    http://www.magcommander.com/collecti...ar-15-magazine

Ammo:
    http://sgammo.com/product/wolf-or-wp...ld-ar-15-ammun

Parts/Sights/Accesories:
    http://primaryarms.com
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    I have been thinking about an AR. I really don't care for one but it falls into the "just because". Cabela's has a Ruger AR-556 on sale for 630 bucks. Anyone have one? All the reviews I have read give the rifle an ok. I know there are higher end ARs out there but I don't shoot competition or long ranges. I have other rifles for shooting way out there.....chris
    I've got 2 "genuine Colt" 6520 carbines and 2 Bushmaster 6520 clones (pencil barrel, skinnier "not-M4" style handguards, non-sloping telestock).

My son has a "Vietnam M16" clone - a Colt SP1 upper with triangle handguards, duckbill flash hider, etc... on top of a Bushmaster lower.... it's not 100% correct, but close enough.

They're nice, but they're just toys. If the SHTF, I would be carrying one of my Kalashnikovs and a 45 for backup.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

You can't go wrong with one.

I just put one together for less than $500. Easy as pie. Granted I got a few parts from black Friday sales.

I'm doing a .308 next. Something to mount my night force on.
    FBHO

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I have yet to hear anything bad about Ruger's AR. And for all you're really wanting it for, I say pull the trigger, get it. Unless you have something against black rifles () you won't regret it. Just open her up, learn how to strip it, then aplly lube, load, sight in and shoot it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

PSA has some great deals.

Blem Anderson lowers work well for plinkers.
    FBHO

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    I say go for it. You will enjoy it. You may also find yourself customizing it, however, as ARs are Barbie Dolls for men (and grown women). Pick some some $9 Magpul Pmags, a few boxes of bulk .223 or 5.56, and you're good-to-go.

Pmags:
    http://www.magcommander.com/collecti...ar-15-magazine

Ammo:
    http://sgammo.com/product/wolf-or-wp...ld-ar-15-ammun

Parts/Sights/Accesories:
    http://primaryarms.com
    Gen 3 Pmag at same price. Gen 3 come with the dust cover. https://store-candsfirearms-com.3dca...ack_p_120.html

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Gen 3 Pmag at same price. Gen 3 come with the dust cover. https://store-candsfirearms-com.3dca...ack_p_120.html
    Impressive. Any first-hand experience with that business, Viking? Looks like a small-scale operation.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post

IF I were to buy an AR this is the only one that would strike my fancy ie: old school retro. those new fangledy ones just don't do it for me.

i will always be an AK man though!
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

mines lighter.

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I jumped in a year ago or so. Ak has been my baby due to undeniable reliability and very few failures even when I oopsie daisied a 223 into my ak mag and it fired. I do however find my Olympic arms to be more accurate than my Norinco milled mak 90. I just bought a bump fire stock for it for $105 shipped as anther way to show off my white privilege. As you can see, it will take many rounds to perfect, but short bursts work just fine.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Now all I have to do is wait for SWMBO to come across with the cash. I am wondering if my M1D will get upset with an AR in the safe? chris

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    Now all I have to do is wait for SWMBO to come across with the cash. I am wondering if my M1D will get upset with an AR in the safe? chris
    The M1 won't mind. I have one next to three ARs in my safe and they get along fine. The german mauser however causes the M1 to get upset as they have an old beef between them.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

CDNN investments always has some good prices on ar's as well as sigs. I bought 2 brand new SIG 226 TAC-OPS which retail $1200 for i want to say $850. Bought a P290R at Gander Mountain and 2 weeks later they had the same gun brand new for $150 less.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.h...sc&order=price
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Impressive. Any first-hand experience with that business, Viking? Looks like a small-scale operation.
    No, I have never ordered from them. It seems to be moot at this point as the link now says item no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    mines lighter.

Yep,
    I have had the standard "old school" 20" barrel, fixed stock, A2 model and the 16" lite flat top version.
    Before you buy one, pick it up and feel the balance.
    The 20" barrel feels like a brick on the end of a broomstick compared to the balance of the 16" lite version.
    My next purchase will be 16" M4 type barrel model (heavier barrel but still good balance).
    A 308 18" barrel is on my list as well.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Got my very first AR back in November. Haven't been to the range yet but I feel younger and the wife says things in the bedroom have never been better. If I'd known owning an AR would be this good I'd have done it a long time ago.

Actually I did pickup my first AR in November and really haven't shot it yet but I snagged it for around $550 as I recall and I think it will serve me vey well. You don't have to break the bank to get a decent rifle, or at least I hope you don't. Guess the first trip to the range will answer that question.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Despite my username my Armalite 5.56 M15A2 would be my go-to gun in a real emergency. Light weight, ergonomic, very accurate w/ the 4x4 scope I have mounted on it. Over 6,000 rounds through it over the last 11 years or so & it's performed as reliably as any of my AK variants.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Despite my username my Armalite 5.56 M15A2 would be my go-to gun in a real emergency. Light weight, ergonomic, very accurate w/ the 4x4 scope I have mounted on it. Over 6,000 rounds through it over the last 11 years or so & it's performed as reliably as any of my AK variants.
    Ditto, I keep mine clean and never have any issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast