Thread: First day at MCRD

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

First day at MCRD

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Brings back memories and I went to Navy Boot Camp.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Brings back memories and I went to Navy Boot Camp.
    Ahh yes, i remember the five mile runs on sunday afternoon to the fence between MCRD San Diego and navy boot camp so we could stand at attention, flip the navy boots the bird and run back....didn't you guys have a picnic every sunday?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

A good friend of mine just made Sergeant in 3 1/2 years in the Marines. One stint in Afghanistan at Leatherneck. Very proud of the young man.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Ahh yes, i remember the five mile runs on sunday afternoon to the fence between MCRD San Diego and navy boot camp so we could stand at attention, flip the navy boots the bird and run back....didn't you guys have a picnic every sunday?
    It was catered!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Good times. "Hurry up and wait."
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I was at RTC San Diego for boot in September 1978 and don't recall any picnics but I do remember the Marines on their side of the fence running on the back 40. Everything on out side of the fence, aka Worm Island was either paved or concrete with landscaping. You guys had dirt and weeds and rocks on your part of the base. We had it pretty easy compared to you all.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I was at RTC San Diego for boot in September 1978 and don't recall any picnics but I do remember the Marines on their side of the fence running on the back 40. Everything on out side of the fence, aka Worm Island was either paved or concrete with landscaping. You guys had dirt and weeds and rocks on your part of the base. We had it pretty easy compared to you all.
    Wouldn't have been no fun if it was easy. I started in late august of 71, we were one the last platoons to live in Quonset huts and train with M-14s, by january of 72 everyone was using m-16s and living in nice hotel style barracks....i hear those guys had catered pinics on sunday just like the navy boots

Wouldn't have been no fun if it was easy. I started in late august of 71, we were one the last platoons to live in Quonset huts and train with M-14s, by january of 72 everyone was using m-16s and living in nice hotel style barracks....i hear those guys had catered pinics on sunday just like the navy boots
    We had Sunday picnics, but we had to carry M1 Garands. The bolts were welded shut, which was very sad, but there were still Garands!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

We didn't carry any firearms when I was in boot camp. Must have stopped it before I got there in 78?

Belay my last. IIRC the Drill companies may have carried a firearm but the regular recruit company like mine did not.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    We didn't carry any firearms when I was in boot camp. Must have stopped it before I got there in 78?

Belay my last. IIRC the Drill companies may have carried a firearm but the regular recruit company like mine did not.
    I was in Boot Camp in Great Lakes, IL in the summer of 1982. The drill companies carried 1903 drill rifles, all shiny and chromed. Ours were standard issue, 10 lb (or so) Garands that had the bolts somehow locked in place. I figured they were spot welded. I just know the bolt would not move. I can also tell you that they got heavy by the end of the day.

NRA Endowment Member

The M-14s we used for drill were fully functional but had the firing pins removed, except for the time at Edson range. Funny thing, the drill instructors weren't near as abusive when we had access to live ammo.

Drill was my favorite part of boot camp ( except for the 5 mile run to flip off the squids ) After we got good at it, they would take time to teach us trick drill moves, not the real fancy stuff like the silent drill team does, but it was a good morale builder for us when 68 men could move in unison.

Actually the range was my favorite part, i was, and still am a damn good shot with an M-14. Broke the range record ( fired a 242 ) on pre-qual day but choked big time on qualification day and barely made expert ( 224 ), got my ass kicked for that one.
    Last edited by davepool; 02-07-2015 at 11:48 PM.