Thread: Can I use linoleum on my shop floor?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Can I use linoleum on my shop floor?

My shop is in an area where it gets moisture up through the floor. Can linoleum lay down well on a floor like this? It is concrete and really doesn't see a lot of traffic. Or, do I need to break down and get the expensive rubber shop floor snap-tiles?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I have linoleum in my small shop. When I get the big shop up it will be painted concrete.

The only problem I have with linoleum is you can't burn & weld over it.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Some of the older lino wore very well.

That said, I would be a bit leery of covering an area that you say "gets moisture up through the floor."

Sounds like a mold trap to me.

If you are looking for a cushioning effect, I might consider "Duck Boards" as an alternative.

They would let the area breathe.

I agree with gunner about the moisture.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

If it's not padded like in some kitchens it might be a good idea, the padded types do not stand up to abuse very well. Also it might be a good idea to put some plastic sheeting under the floor in the crawlspace or whatever, either layed on the ground or tacked to the floor as a moisture barrier.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Thanks Guys. I guess I need to wait till I can get the good thick rubber tile that snaps together.

You use a dehydrator and/or a space heater to dry the concrete, then roll on a concrete sealer. No moisture. The linoleum will work, but you could just use a floor paint and put a rubber pad just where you are standing to work at the time.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

http://www.ucoatit.com/ucoat/

I have this stuff on my shop floor. Very durable. Just where work the most ( around the vise ) has worn through and that took 10 years of abuse.