Thread: Let's learn about M855A1

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Let's learn about M855A1

As presented by the U.S. Army, here is a little tid-bit explaining the new M855A1 projectile for the M16, M4, and SAW family.

Apparently, it is a much better all-purpose round than it's predecessor; the super-evil green-tipped M855 the ATF is currently demonizing.

http://www.aschq.army.mil/ac/aais/io...5890625000.PDF
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    As presented by the U.S. Army, here is a little tid-bit explaining the new M855A1 projectile for the M16, M4, and SAW family.

Apparently, it is a much better all-purpose round than it's predecessor; the super-evil green-tipped M855 the ATF is currently demonizing.

http://www.aschq.army.mil/ac/aais/io...5890625000.PDF
    My understanding is that this round achieves "improved" performance via significantly increased chamber/bore pressure. I wouldn't want to shoot this ammo in any of my 5.56 rifles.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

and its got a steel core, and a sold copper core, its like its trying to hit every point on the atf definition of "armor piercing ammunition" you will NEVER see it on the civilian market.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Ok I read the linked document. AS Deth502 pointed out it is the definition of AP handgun bullet now and will never be legal to sell to us surfs. The legislation that bands AP handgun bullets states that the core has to be made of materials no harder than lead. If there is a core material that is harder than lead / lead alloys it has to represent less than 50% of the core.

The M855 bullet has 30% steel in the tip and it isn't pointed, but rather a truncated cone shape. Meaning flat at the tip. The rest of the core is lead based. Batfeces want's to ban this bullet that we've had available to US citizens for 25 years. The M855A1 round will never see civilian sales short of an armed revolution to restore the Constitution as written.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Ok I read the linked document. AS Deth502 pointed out it is the definition of AP handgun bullet now and will never be legal to sell to us surfs. The legislation that bands AP handgun bullets states that the core has to be made of materials no harder than lead. If there is a core material that is harder than lead / lead alloys it has to represent less than 50% of the core.

The M855 bullet has 30% steel in the tip and it isn't pointed, but rather a truncated cone shape. Meaning flat at the tip. The rest of the core is lead based. Batfeces want's to ban this bullet that we've had available to US citizens for 25 years. The M855A1 round will never see civilian sales short of an armed revolution to restore the Constitution as written.
    M855A1 is the army's lead free green ammo. I have read mixed reports. the army is pushing really hard to convince people that it is as accurate and deadly as the outgoing M855. Some people say it's adoption is purely political to satisfy the environmental types.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I agree that we peons will never get to purchase this particular cartridge. As an aside, Liberty Ammunition sued over a patent infringement by the M855A1 round recently and won.

http://www.armytimes.com/story/milit...80a1/22103351/

The U.S. government will pay a Florida ammunition-maker more than $15.6 million after losing a patent-infringement lawsuit regarding the design of M855A1 and M80A1 rounds.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...s-m855a1-ammo/

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Some people say it's adoption is purely political to satisfy the environmental types.
    This is what I believe. Why else would they have touted it as "green ammo" when shooters all know that lead ammunition never hurt anybody (through environmental lead poisoning ).
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I question the reported down range performance. Lead is far more dense than copper and steel. I don't understand how the lower density M855A1 bullet is going to retain greater speed down range as it lacks the mass density to resist deceleration from air. They do state greater initial bullet speed but don't state what it is. I suppose it could be sufficiently large to still net out greater speed 500 to 600 yards down range over the SS109 bullet. The lack of specific detail (speed) makes me suspicious. If we know the exact bullet speed analysis could be done to figure out of they are bullshitting us to prove their Green bullet is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I question the reported down range performance. Lead is far more dense than copper and steel. I don't understand how the lower density M855A1 bullet is going to retain greater speed down range as it lacks the mass density to resist deceleration from air. They do state greater initial bullet speed but don't state what it is. I suppose it could be sufficiently large to still net out greater speed 500 to 600 yards down range over the SS109 bullet. The lack of specific detail (speed) makes me suspicious. If we know the exact bullet speed analysis could be done to figure out of they are bullshitting us to prove their Green bullet is better.
    The reason for improved velocity with a lower density round is greatly increased pressure beyond current 5.56 specifications and thereby greater speed. I read somewhere that the pressure of this round exceeds current 5.56 pressure by as much as 40% which would make it equal to the proof round Ruger fires in every AR they ship. The Green bullet is not better. Only a fucking idiot would conceive of the idea of a green bullet for military use.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Only a fucking idiot would conceive of the idea of a green bullet for military use.
    "green" is not necessarily a bad thing. lots of things can be done better and safer for humanity and the environment at the same time. i have nothing against "green technology" in as much as if, in the process of making things better, you can also make them safer. thats fucking great. but doing something WORSE or less efficiently just because it makes someone fell better about themselves because its "green" IS fucking ridiculous.

Benefits from this new round include gas port erosion, increased cycle rate which may lead to jamming, cracks on locking lugs/bolts in as few as 3000 rounds, and of course the most important benefit of all --- feeling good -- that is until these rounds start causing rifles to blow up in soldiers faces.

i never said THIS was a good idea, just not to discount something JUST because its "green". take led lights, for example. they are "greener" and also save me money on my electric bill, and need to be replaced less often, win win. this ammo looks like a loser though.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!