Thread: N-PAP crooked rear sight leaf: How To Fix?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

N-PAP crooked rear sight leaf: How To Fix?

The rear sight leaf on this Serbian N-pap is way too far to the left. It is the leaf sight itself and not the gas block.

I haven't shot it yet, but I can't imagine that moving the front post would be enough to correct this when zeroing.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Or should I send it back?

This was a $499 shipped N-pap from CNC warrior.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    If it is just the sight leaf you might try taking it off the rifle to make sure the hole it fits into are not damaged, and that the lugs on the sight leaf itself are not bent. If it isn't obvious you might just get a new sight leaf and install it to see if it is the original leaf or the rear block itself.

The other thing to do is take it out and shoot it and see if it shoots to point of aim. It just might in which case the problem is nothing more than "a looks thing".

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    If it is just the sight leaf you might try taking it off the rifle to make sure the hole it fits into are not damaged, and that the lugs on the sight leaf itself are not bent. If it isn't obvious you might just get a new sight leaf and install it to see if it is the original leaf or the rear block itself.

The other thing to do is take it out and shoot it and see if it shoots to point of aim. It just might in which case the problem is nothing more than "a looks thing".
    I may try taking the rear sight from my o-pap and putting it on the n-pap to see if it still looks bent.

Also I didn't consider the fact that it might actually be zeroed already. However, my O-pap was not zeroed from the factory. Plus the front post on the n-pap came dead center.

Another fact that I forgot to mention is that the sight leaf sits in place very tightly, and rubs against the inside of flat pieces of the gas block that the pivot holes are drilled into.

Lots of rubbing here when I pivot the sight up.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've seen this on one Romanian SAR-1 years ago. It seemed to be the rear sight itself. I put another one in the rifle and it was straight. The trunion pin on one side was bent on the rear sight. In any event it should be a simple fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I've seen this on one Romanian SAR-1 years ago. It seemed to be the rear sight itself. I put another one in the rifle and it was straight. The trunion pin on one side was bent on the rear sight. In any event it should be a simple fix.
    Sweet.

I won't be able to mess with it for a couple weeks probably, but at least it sounds like an easy fix.