Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miami, other cities in Florida, USA slowly sinking into rising sea

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    That damn Globallz Warminz!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    You know, just the action of plate teutonics can lift or lower land mass. As the east coast is on the trailing edge of the North American plate, the land could also be lowering as the plate slides underneath the continent.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    You know, just the action of plate teutonics can lift or lower land mass. As the east coast is on the trailing edge of the North American plate, the land could also be lowering as the plate slides underneath the continent.
    Please don't muddy up the OP's agenda with all that reality stuff

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Yes, quite right.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Please don't muddy up the OP's agenda with all that reality stuff
    Ya know that got me looking at the thread title again
    we're sinking? into rising sea?
    OK which is it?
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Please wake me up when commiefornia has fallen into the Pacific.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Please wake me up when commiefornia has fallen into the Pacific.
    Haven't you been reading this thread? Since florida is sinking into rising seas commiefornia has to be rising above lowering seas!

So...the Netherlands is mostly underwater now?
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    So...the Netherlands is mostly underwater now?

Or New Orleans for that matter......Venice maybe???

Of course there is Alexandria, Egypt.......but that happened centuries ago.....boy that Global Warming stuff has a long reach!!!
    Last edited by weevil; 02-27-2015 at 09:57 PM.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Perhaps...under globull warming...er...climate change...er...climate disruption...only some oceans rise, and water no longer seeks its own level?

I'm sure the leftists have an explanation of how climate religion has negated the laws of physics.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

It sure is amazing how much equivocating, excuse-making, and "alternative hypotheses" suddenly spring up when some people have their heads stuck so far down in the sand they want to deny the obvious.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/rising-...-floods-worse/

You'd think in cases like these, Occam's razor would apply. But I guess not when you're trying to grasp at straws to find something else to blame a phenomenon on.

Whatever. Enjoy your sunken cities. Taxpayers will be paying for it, ultimately, just like they already are in Miami.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

So the Netherlands are now mostly underwater, or have taken drastic steps to raise their dykes?

Surely you have news links to those stories, either way?

Or have the laws of physics changed, water no longer seeking it's natural level? If so, you must have links to news stories showing that to be the case?

Not all coastal areas are created equal. Some are much lower and more vulnerable to rising tides than others.

Here's a wonder tool for you to see this phenomenon in action: http://coast.noaa.gov/digitalcoast/tools/slr

(But it's from those evil, lying scientists at NOAA, so it must all be make-believe, right? )
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Not all coastal areas are created equal. Some are much lower and more vulnerable to rising tides than others.

Here's a wonder tool for you to see this phenomenon in action: http://coast.noaa.gov/digitalcoast/tools/slr

(But it's from those evil, lying scientists at NOAA, so it must all be make-believe, right? )
    If Florida is at a lower sea level than the Netherlands, why are there no dykes in Florida?

If the sea is rising, why is Florida at risk, the Netherlands, not?

The Netherlands have been reclaiming land from the sea for centuries...Florida, never...

Explain this from a double-naught skientist perspective.

Be sure to include plate tectonics in your explanation.

If Florida is at a lower sea level than the Netherlands, why are there no dykes in Florida?
    I imagine that's something they are very seriously considering now, as it's becoming quite expensive to pump all this increasing floodwater out of town.

If the sea is rising, why is Florida at risk, the Netherlands, not?

The Netherlands have been reclaiming land from the sea for centuries...Florida, never...
    Because until now, until the reality of global warming causing sea-level rise, they haven't had to.

But hey, if you want to head down and help them build some dykes, I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Note to others in this thread...

Specifically note lafty's misleading thread title...paraphrased...Florida cities sinking into rising seas...

Which is it? Florida cities sinking?

Or seas rising?

Disingenuous things that make you go...hmmmmmm....

I imagine that's something they are very seriously considering now, as it's becoming quite expensive to pump all this increasing floodwater out of town.

Because until now, until the reality of global warming causing sea-level rise, they haven't had to.

But hey, if you want to head down and help them build some dykes, I'm sure they'd appreciate it.
    So...our double-naught skientist has no skientific explanation for this discrepancy, and only flip responses for a request of skientific documentation...

Good to know.

Way to back up your thesis there, Jethro.

Perhaps you'd be better off opting for a career as a big time movie director?...naw...not even downs syndrome folks would go to those movies...
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 02-28-2015 at 05:00 AM.

Just wanted to add...if lafty can tell me how to make my drink rise higher on one side of the glass than the other with no outside manipulation...I need that information.

Talk about a chick pickup technique at the bar....

So...our double-naught skientist has no skientific explanation for this discrepancy, and only flip responses for a request of skientific documentation...
    What kind of scientific explanation do you need? I'm not a fucking city planner and neither are you.

But it only makes sense to me to not worry about building dykes until/if coastal flooding ever became a problem.

Now it obviously is. So go volunteer your services already. You seem to have the answers to all their problems, so scoot, scoot, scoot!

What kind of scientific explanation do you need? I'm not a fucking city planner and neither are you.

But it only makes sense to me to not worry about building dykes until/if coastal flooding ever became a problem.

Now it obviously is. So go volunteer your services already. You seem to have the answers to all their problems, so scoot, scoot, scoot!
    Oh great Skientist (not a 'fucking' city planner)...please explain to me when the laws of fluid dynamics were negated!

All oceans are interconnected.

If seas are rising in Florida, why are there no issues with flooding in the Netherlands?

Again, give us your skientific insights on tectonic plate movement as it relates.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast