Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miami, other cities in Florida, USA slowly sinking into rising sea

What in the fuck are you talking about? You already answered your own question!

The Netherlands has taken EXTENSIVE measures, building extensive coastal defenses against further sea-level rise.

They are arguably the only country who is seriously preparing for further increase in the rise of sea-levels over the next 100 years.

It is anticipated that global warming in the 21st century will result in a rise in sea level which, despite popular belief, will possibly not overwhelm the measures the Netherlands has taken to control floods. Even more specifically, the Netherlands is the only country in the world actively preparing for a sea level rise. A politically neutral Delta Commission has formulated an action plan to cope with a sea level rise of 1.10 metres (3.6 ft) and a simultaneous land height decline of 10 centimetres (3.9 in). The plan foresees in the reinforcement of the existing coastal defenses like dikes and dunes with 1.30 metres (4.3 ft) of additional flood protection. Climate change will not only threaten the Netherlands from the sea side, but could also alter rain fall patterns and river run-off. To protect the country from river flooding, another program is already being executed. The Room for the River plan grants more flow space to rivers, protects the major populated areas and allows for periodic flooding of indefensible lands. The few residents that lived in these so-called "overflow areas" have been moved to higher ground, with some of that ground having been raised above anticipated flood levels.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands#Delta_works
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Additionally, since when does a city planner need to be a scientist...or are they now required to be...skientists...per leftist ideology?

Also...what do city planners have to do with climate change and rising (or not so much rising) seas?

Further...what do city planners have to do with a discussion on cities sinking into rising oceans...unless you somehow blame them for not anticipating man's evil environmental actions???

Many things to make one go...hmmmm....
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    What in the fuck are you talking about? You already answered your own question!

The Netherlands has taken EXTENSIVE measures, building extensive coastal defenses against further sea-level rise.

They are arguably the only country who is seriously preparing for further increase in the rise of sea-levels over the next 100 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands#Delta_works
    So you have links, other than wiki, of the Netherlands building their dykes higher due to rising sea levels?
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Google is your friend dude.

I'm not going to play this game with you like with Goodman when there is a plethora of news articles out there detailing the actions the Netherlands has taken in response to global warming.

Educate yourself, don't expect me to hold your hand. If you can't manage to unshelter yourself out of the tunnel vision of your right-wing science-denying blogs, that's not my problem.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=netherlands%2Bs...obal%2Bwarming
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

I'm not going to play this game with you like with Goodman when there is a plethora of news articles out there detailing the actions the Netherlands has taken in response to global warming.

Educate yourself, don't expect me to hold your hand. If you can't manage to unshelter yourself out of the tunnel vision of your right-wing science-denying blogs, that's not my problem.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=netherlands%2Bs...obal%2Bwarming
    Funny...you started this thread with a bunch of links on how rising seas are sinking Florida.

Yet you are unable to provide a single link to active and emergent concern in the Netherlands, leading to countrywide (their part) concerns of flooding, active and ongoing efforts to build their dykes higher.

Florida's mean average is 98 feet above sea level. The Netherlands' has 26% of its land below sea level.

Certainly if oceans are inundating Florida, the Netherlands must be struggling to keep 26% of its land from flooding on a daily basis, and this should be news?

Additionally, oh great skientist, you've failed to include any discussion of plate tectonics here...surely you know that the plate under North America and the plates beneath Eurasia are separate...(see the history of Pangaea if your are confused here).

You've been perfectly willing to supply links when you felt you were on solid ground (pun intended)...yet, suddenly google is my friend and you abandon all skience? Is this your version of Kadmos's "I know you are, but what am I"?

Please explain to us how fluid dynamics differ by world hemisphere...

Perhaps this is one of those Guam will tip over situations?
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 02-28-2015 at 06:09 AM.

I'm not going to play this game with you...
    By the by...this is your thread...you started it.

If you're not going to support it with fact, why did you start it?

Bailing with 'Google is your friend' when the going gets rough is the epitome of weasel, pussbot action.

Is that what we should now use in reference to you? Pussbot Double-naught Skientist?

I've already provided plenty of reputable news sources for those who are truly interested in learning more about this issue of coastal flooding due to rising sea levels.

I don't post in these threads so much to educate closed-minded folks like yourself who have already made their minds up, but rather the hundreds of lurkers who consistently view these climate change threads with great interest and consider all arguments with an open-mind.

I think it's pretty clear to most that you're just trying to distract like usual with your plate tectonics and other off-topic B.S. when you realize you've lost the argument.

Sea levels are rising and governments are taking action. That much is indisputable fact.

The only question is why we won't take more sensible action to address WHY sea levels are rising, to save us from all the expense of building massive dikes and dams and elaborate pumping systems to deal with a problem we shouldn't be having to deal with all of the sudden.

I've already provided plenty of reputable news sources for those who are truly interested in learning more about this issue of coastal flooding due to rising sea levels.

I don't post in these threads so much to educate closed-minded folks like yourself who have already made their minds up, but rather the hundreds of lurkers who consistently view these climate change threads with great interest and consider all arguments with an open-mind.

I think it's pretty clear to most that you're just trying to distract like usual with your plate tectonics and other off-topic B.S. when you realize you've lost the argument.

Sea levels are rising and governments are taking action. That much is indisputable fact.

The only question is why we won't take more sensible action to address WHY sea levels are rising, to save us from all the expense of building massive dikes and dams and elaborate pumping systems to deal with a problem we shouldn't be having to deal with all of the sudden.
    So...as a pussbot double-naught skientist, you deny plate tectonics have anything to do with sea levels on any continent...if I'm hearing you correctly...

And, you have no links to actionable Netherlands reaction to sea level rises causing problems in Florida (average 98 feet above sea level) vs their 26% of area below sea level...something one thinks would have caused immense consternation in 'city planning' throughout coastal Netherlands areas recently...

Yet you want us to believe you post such threads for all those lurkers who wait, with baited breath, for pussbot double-naught skientific reports from the resident marxist.

Hey...maybe we can elect a kenyan-marxist illegal as POTUS!!!...oh...wait...

But hey...you keep trying pussbot...one day someone may believe at least one thing you say...you could use that as your epitaph...

Whatever. Just admit it: you're closed-minded and nothing I say will ever convince you otherwise. So why should I bother trying to convince you?

All that matters is that the people reading this thread know all the arguments and can make up their own minds.

That's my only goal here, and despite all your obfuscation, I'm pretty confident I succeeded.

Had to separate this out...

News sources are now skientific?

At which point in our history did journalism become skience? Except in the view of marxists...

Whatever. Just admit it: you're closed-minded and nothing I say will ever convince you otherwise. So why should I bother trying to convince you?

All that matters is that the people reading this thread know all the arguments and can make up their own minds.

That's my only goal here, and despite all your obfuscation, I'm pretty confident I succeeded.
    Resolve the fluid dynamics issues and I will be glad to open my mind to your fol-de-rol...

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Resolve the fluid dynamics issues and I will be glad to open my mind to your fol-de-rol...
    Meaningless distraction. I already posted that map from the scientists at NOAA that lays out the "map of the land" (quite literally) for all to see exactly which coastal areas are at most risk of flooding.

Miami wasn't "chosen" by nature at random, that's for damn sure.

Meaningless distraction. I already posted that map from the scientists at NOAA that lays out the "map of the land" (quite literally) for all to see exactly which coastal areas are at most risk of flooding.

Miami wasn't "chosen" by nature at random, that's for damn sure.
    So you deny the laws of physics in support of your religion?

Links to recent, additional levee building by the Army Corp of Engineers in New Orleans would help support your false thesis here...have you any?
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 02-28-2015 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    So you deny the laws of physics in support of your religion?
    Prove how "plate tectonics" or "fluid dynamics" has anything to do with what we're talking about here, and then maybe we can argue.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Prove how "plate tectonics" or "fluid dynamics" has anything to do with what we're talking about here, and then maybe we can argue.
    Considering what you believe to be proof and fact this is one of the funniest things I have ever read.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

You're calling someone else closed-minded?

Care to enlighten us as to the last time you were wrong about anything?

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    You're calling someone else closed-minded?

Care to enlighten us as to the last time you were wrong about anything?
    It happens more often at school than anywhere else. For instance, I didn't believe aspirin alone was effective at all in treating cancer, but sure enough -- once other students starting posting links to all sorts of scientific studies, I had to reevaluate my misconceptions.

I'm perfectly open to considering viable alternative hypotheses to rising sea levels being the principal cause of increased flooding in Florida and other coastal areas around the world.

But a bunch of right-wing opinion blogs circle-jerk linking to each other with wild "explanations" aren't going to cut it.

To me it all boils down to: show me some scientific studies (or at least some advisements or data from a scientific body) or STFU.
    Last edited by LAGC; 02-28-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

If by "reputable" you are referring to left-wing, tainted sources, you are right.

I, actually, feel sorry for them, now that you are targeting them with your pseudo-scientific nonsense.

Yeah, that's right. It just won't do to use reputable science to contradict pseudo-science. I mean, that would be like using astronomy to counter astrology, chemistry to counter alchemy, modern medicine to counter voo-doo, or plate tectonics to counter the actions of vengeful gods. Gotta keep that astolgical-alchemical-voo-doo, $100,000,000 Globull warming religious juggernaut rolling....

Sorry. 100% disputable.

No, the only real question is why do idiots keep perpetuating this farcical idea of man-made, globull warming when it just doesn't work?

Okay, gonna give it a try, but I have an idea I'm wasting my time.

The last Ice Age had ice sheets about 3,000 ft. tall and extended southward into Georgia. Water (and ice) weighs a lot. The sheet's weight pushed the plate beneath it down. At the end of the Ice Age, as the ice sheets started receding back towards the north, they melted. This melted water flowed back into the ocean and reduced the weight of the ice above the continent. As the sheets continued to recede, the plate beneath them rose up again.

Since the plate is mostly solid, and resting on the asthenosphere, it responds to this weight similar to the way a see-saw responds to two people on either end. When one person is heavier, his side goes downward. The lighter person rises upward.

In the present-day location, and with the ice still receding a little, the land over which it rested thousands of years ago, is slowly starting to sink back down. The present-day ice represents the heavier person, slowly pushing his legs downward so his weight is less on his side of the see-saw. The person on the other end, who used to be higher, now appears to weigh less than the other duy, so his side of the see-saw starts to move downward. This is what is happening on much of the east coast right now. The ice sheets are so far away from their original positions during the last Ice Age that they are putting less weight on one part of the plate and the other part of the plate is sinking. It's called subsidence. This is happening right now. The east coast is sinking because of subsidence, not rising sea levels.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Okay, gonna give it a try, but I have an idea I'm wasting my time.

The last Ice Age had ice sheets about 3,000 ft. tall and extended southward into Georgia. Water (and ice) weighs a lot. The sheet's weight pushed the plate beneath it down. At the end of the Ice Age, as the ice sheets started receding back towards the north, they melted. This melted water flowed back into the ocean and reduced the weight of the ice above the continent. As the sheets continued to recede, the plate beneath them rose up again.

Since the plate is mostly solid, and resting on the asthenosphere, it responds to this weight similar to the way a see-saw responds to two people on either end. When one person is heavier, his side goes downward. The lighter person rises upward.

In the present-day location, and with the ice still receding a little, the land over which it rested thousands of years ago, is slowly starting to sink back down. The present-day ice represents the heavier person, slowly pushing his legs downward so his weight is less on his side of the see-saw. The person on the other end, who used to be higher, now appears to weigh less than the other duy, so his side of the see-saw starts to move downward. This is what is happening on much of the east coast right now. The ice sheets are so far away from their original positions during the last Ice Age that they are putting less weight on one part of the plate and the other part of the plate is sinking. It's called subsidence. This is happening right now. The east coast is sinking because of subsidence, not rising sea levels.
    Well, at least we finally have somewhat of an argument that can be supported (or refuted) by science.

I'm well-aware that subsidence may be playing a role in Venice slowly sinking, but what evidence do you have that it is principally at play down in Florida?

A cursory search of the topic only mentions certain coastal areas of Texas and Louisiana (and the Mississippi River delta in particular) but I gather that has more to do with hurricanes, storm surges, erosion, and human activity that has caused such subsidence in those particular areas.

Do you have any scientific evidence that this is the case in Miami, let alone that ancient ice sheets are responsible?

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

LOL at all the moonbattery in this thread. LAGC ridicules folks who believe in God, yet he himself worships Al Whore and his minions. Meanwhile, it's the last day of February, the temperature is still in the single-digits, and there is still 10" of snow on the ground here that has not thawed all winter. Oh, wait, I forgot: It's not Global Warming any more. It's now CLIMATE DIS-mother-fukken-RUPTION! Oh no!!!! Ban farts! Ban cars! Ban coal! Ban campfires! Ban breathing! Ban the Chinese! Ban volcanoes! Ban gunz! Ban smoking! Ban lighters! Ban fireworks! Ban space heaters! Ban electric blankets! Ban comets! Ban the sun! Ban the Coriolis effect! Ban ocean currents! Ban conservatives!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast