Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input for Newb's ccw pistol.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Input for Newb's ccw pistol.

I've had my ccw for a few weeks now and have been using my 4" xd-9 while OWB. Since I earned a decent 2014 bonus at work I'm going to buy a 9mm pistol more tailored for ccw, imo that is. I'm sticking with 9mm too.

My current 4 contenders are, in no particular order:

1. S&W Shield
    2. S.A. 3.3" XDs
    3. S.A. 4.0" XDs
    4. Ruger LC9s (maybe the "Pro" model that just came out > no thumb safety or mag disconnect safety)

I would like to try all of them out before I make my choice, but have only been able to try out the Shield and 3.3 XDs. Since none of the shops (with ranges) have a used 4.0 XDs or LC9s to rent I'm unable to compare all 4. The 3.3 XDs and shield are pretty comparable, with the shield getting a slight edge due to price point only. I've dry fired the 4.0 XDs and the LC9s, with the Ruger having a very nice trigger for a striker pistol and the 4.0 is the same as 3.3. I'd just like to see how the extra barrel and slide length on the 4.0 XDs compare to the other shorter barrels.

So with that dear readers, has anyone tried/have a 4.0 XDs 9mm and/or Ruger's LC9s and what did you think? I have what would be considered medium sized hands (I wear size M mechanix gloves for example).

I'm open to other suggestions, but would like to keep any other suggestions in the striker fired category, so no DA like Kahrs or PF9 please. I've handled Beretta's Nano but didn't like the feel of it at all. I'm thinking I'll be carrying IWB so that's why I'm leaning towards single stack 9s compared to double stacks, but if the compact and subcompact Glocks, XD's, etc. carry better IWB than I think, please let me know, but I don't really want to buy more pants just to carry them lol.

TIA for your input. I'll be checking youtube for reviews too, hopefully honest ones.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I would look at one of the baby-Glocks. I had one but sold it as I didn't think I would have a need for a pistol that small, now I kick myself for getting rid of it. I took it to the range before I sold it and it was easy to use, shot well for a 2" barrel, and the kick (mine was a 9mm) was not that much different from by G19.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

S&W M&P Shield has my vote.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

What bothers you most about the XD-9 you've been carrying: the length, width, or weight?

How do you plan to carry: pocket, belt, shoulder, or a combination of those?

How much firepower do you need?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices on your list. I purchased an XDs-9 3.3 last year with the intent of getting the stainless 4.0 in .45acp at another date (to match my full size guns). However, I'm actually tempted to get an LCPs PRO as a dedicated pocket gun. The XDs fits in my pocket, but something a little smaller wouldn't hurt. Honestly my old P-64 still rides in my pocket most of the time.

Also, my dad has the shield while I have the XDs. If you like the Shield, then get that and save some money. I paid extra for the XDs because I like the triggers and the grip better, but I would have no objections to defending my life with the Shield.

Also, if you like revolvers, check out the Ruger LCR series. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 02-25-2015 at 01:38 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Have you tried your XD 4" IWB yet? I've been comfortably carrying a Glock 19, which is pretty similar in size, IWB appendix-carry for the past six years. It took some getting used to at first (started off with a PF-9), but any more I forget it's there. The important dimensions for IWB carry are the barrel length (can poke you if longer) and frame length (can cause printing if longer). The width of the pistol is not a big deal, at least for appendix and small-of-back carry. Width becomes a more important factor when you get closer to the 3- and 9-o'clock positions. Your mileage may vary. 1- or 11-o'clock positions will not work for folks who have a little bit of a belly hanging over the belt, and other folks don't like having a loaded pistol pointing in the general direction of the boys.

Your best bet is to try some out at the local gun shop if they will let you. Holster the pistol, bend over, lean to the side, sit down, etc. to see where it gets uncomfortable.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I would look at one of the baby-Glocks. I had one but sold it as I didn't think I would have a need for a pistol that small, now I kick myself for getting rid of it. I took it to the range before I sold it and it was easy to use, shot well for a 2" barrel, and the kick (mine was a 9mm) was not that much different from by G19.
    Thanks for the input Itorlo64. Smallest Glock I've tried is a G19, which reminds me that a buddy of mine has one and I'll give it a try.

AK-J

S&W M&P Shield has my vote.
    Thanks buddy.

FunkyPertwee

What bothers you most about the XD-9 you've been carrying: the length, width, or weight?

How do you plan to carry: pocket, belt, shoulder, or a combination of those?

How much firepower do you need?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices on your list. I purchased an XDs-9 3.3 last year with the intent of getting the stainless 4.0 in .45acp at another date (to match my full size guns). However, I'm actually tempted to get an LCPs PRO as a dedicated pocket gun. The XDs fits in my pocket, but something a little smaller wouldn't hurt. Honestly my old P-64 still rides in my pocket most of the time.

Also, my dad has the shield while I have the XDs. If you like the Shield, then get that and save some money. I paid extra for the XDs because I like the triggers and the grip better, but I would have no objections to defending my life with the Shield.

Also, if you like revolvers, check out the Ruger LCR series. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself.
    It's a great pistol, but I think I'd like to go smaller, and therefore easier to conceal. Doesn't sit the greatest while driving either. I plan to carry either strong side or appendix with use of a CrossBreed, Galco Tuk, etc. I wouldn't mind going pocket carry, but at the moment I don't think I'm a big enough guy and wear big enough pants to make pocket carry optimum. How much firepower do I need? Lol, if only I knew that ahead of time! I'm much more familiar with Glocks and XD's too. The only reason I'd take the Shield of either of them is price and # of mags offered with each. No revolver for me at this time, I want to stick with trigger system I'm used to. Thanks for the info.

skorpion

Have you tried your XD 4" IWB yet? I've been comfortably carrying a Glock 19, which is pretty similar in size, IWB appendix-carry for the past six years. It took some getting used to at first (started off with a PF-9), but any more I forget it's there. The important dimensions for IWB carry are the barrel length (can poke you if longer) and frame length (can cause printing if longer). The width of the pistol is not a big deal, at least for appendix and small-of-back carry. Width becomes a more important factor when you get closer to the 3- and 9-o'clock positions. Your mileage may vary. 1- or 11-o'clock positions will not work for folks who have a little bit of a belly hanging over the belt, and other folks don't like having a loaded pistol pointing in the general direction of the boys.

Your best bet is to try some out at the local gun shop if they will let you. Holster the pistol, bend over, lean to the side, sit down, etc. to see where it gets uncomfortable.
    I have not tried my XD IWB yet. Having my ccw for only a month or two and during my short stint as popo I carried my xd off-duty on my hip and I never thought to get an IWB for it. To be fair I should probably try it out, but as I said to Funky I'm leaning towards something a tad more compact and easier to conceal with several different clothing seasons, i.e. heavy clothes in winter then t-shirt in spring/summer. Good point on asking local shops to try them out carrying, but IIRC most of them just carry the generic Uncle Mike's or whomever's holsters. Shucks, guess I just need to hit up some gun stores again lol.
    Last edited by NewbieAKguy; 02-25-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Walther PPQ hands down.

Give one a try if you can.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well my vote is a Gock 19 or 26. Don't have a 26 but I do have a 19 or 2. It gets carried 90% of the time. If you didn't want a 9 mm but you want a slim handgun for CCW frankly a small .45 ACP 1911 is very concealable. Punches a bigger hole than a 9. If I'm limiting myself to a single stack gun I'd rather have a .45 than a 9. What I like about the 19 is the 15 rounds +1 in the pipe. Can't beat 16 rounds even if they are smaller bullets.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I have a G26 and find it extremely accurate as well as easy to carry and size wise it seems in the ballpark of some of your listed choices. A G19 is one I'd like to acquire and as others have stated it would make a great, though slightly larger carry option.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I just ordered a Shield 9mm. I can't find a bad word about the gun anywhere. I don't have it yet, so I can't give first hand impressions.

I live in Florida, so my dress is mostly shorts and tee shirt. My preferred carry is pocket, so I started with a PF-9. During my trades, I picked up a Kahr PM40. That is now my carry gun. My son carries a G26, iwb appendix. He is slimmer than I am so he can. I was toying with getting a Shield 9 until I picked up the Kahr. I really liked the Shield and the price is right. You can find them on slickguns for $339 delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well my vote is a Gock 19 or 26. Don't have a 26 but I do have a 19 or 2. It gets carried 90% of the time. If you didn't want a 9 mm but you want a slim handgun for CCW frankly a small .45 ACP 1911 is very concealable. Punches a bigger hole than a 9. If I'm limiting myself to a single stack gun I'd rather have a .45 than a 9. What I like about the 19 is the 15 rounds +1 in the pipe. Can't beat 16 rounds even if they are smaller bullets.
    In that case I'd go XDs-45.

I've had bad experiences with compact 1911's (a 3" and a 3.5"), so I will never go for one of those again for a defensive piece.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    ...CrossBreed, Galco Tuk, etc...
    A word about the crossbreeds and other expensive hybrid holsters: they're not worth the cost.

You can get a DesSatnis or Foxx brand on amazon for like $35 and they'll do the same job. I have a Crossbreed for my XD-9 because they were the first hybrid holster company, but there is no longer any reason to pay that much for one.

remora makes a nice IWB holster as well, for $17-24, i carry a sr9c in a remora and sometimes leather OWB
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

I carry a SIG P250SC in a IWB. The one I have is accurate and trigger is good. I've been carrying it for about three years and so far, no burps!
    JMO
    Dan

Glock 26 for double stacks

Kahr for single stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Walther PPQ hands down.

Give one a try if you can.
    You know what, I was actually considering a PPQ a few years ago. I ended up going away from it due to its price and its European-style mag release. Thanks for the reminder Partisan, I shall look into them again.

Schuetzenman

Thanks S-man. Buddy is letting me try out his G19 this weekend so I get get a feel for it and compare it to my XD9. I actually went to Glock's website yesterday and looked at the G26. I haven't fired one and I can't remember if I've handled one. But I'll definitely look for a used one I can rent to try it out. I'm mostly sticking with the 9mm because it's currently more cost effective, comparable sized pistol holds more rounds, and today's modern 9mm HP's are nothing to sneeze at. You are correct about round counts for double stacks!

Richard Simmons

I have a G26 and find it extremely accurate as well as easy to carry and size wise it seems in the ballpark of some of your listed choices. A G19 is one I'd like to acquire and as others have stated it would make a great, though slightly larger carry option.
    Thanks for the input RS about the G26. What style do you carry yours? I.e. iwb, owb, etc.?

TEN-32

I just ordered a Shield 9mm. I can't find a bad word about the gun anywhere. I don't have it yet, so I can't give first hand impressions.
    I too have read nothing but good things about the 9mm Shields. I tried one a couple months back and was impressed; obviously easier to handle with the extended mag in, but still controllable with the smaller mag. PSA has been having them on sale lately and I've been super tempted.

Viking350

I live in Florida, so my dress is mostly shorts and tee shirt. My preferred carry is pocket, so I started with a PF-9. During my trades, I picked up a Kahr PM40. That is now my carry gun. My son carries a G26, iwb appendix. He is slimmer than I am so he can. I was toying with getting a Shield 9 until I picked up the Kahr. I really liked the Shield and the price is right. You can find them on slickguns for $339 delivered.
    I also looked into the PF-9 years back. With its longer trigger pull along with Kahr's I decided to stick with triggers I'm used to like Glocks and XD's, and M&P's a little.

FunkyPertwee

I've had bad experiences with compact 1911's (a 3" and a 3.5"), so I will never go for one of those again for a defensive piece.

A word about the crossbreeds and other expensive hybrid holsters: they're not worth the cost.

You can get a DesSatnis or Foxx brand on amazon for like $35 and they'll do the same job. I have a Crossbreed for my XD-9 because they were the first hybrid holster company, but there is no longer any reason to pay that much for one.
    I've heard the same as well with compact 1911's, except Springfield's EMP 9mm, but its price has kept me away. I listed the CB and DeSantis just as examples because most people recognize them. At the moment I'm looking at Alien holsters which are the same style but more affordable. I'm also looking into holsters from Raven Concealment, Remora, and others whose names elude me at the moment.

Kevlar

remora makes a nice IWB holster as well, for $17-24, i carry a sr9c in a remora and sometimes leather OWB
    My buddy with the G19 also has a Remora he's loaning me so I'll be able to try one out.

Dan Morris

I carry a SIG P250SC in a IWB. The one I have is accurate and trigger is good. I've been carrying it for about three years and so far, no burps!
    JMO
    Dan
    I haven't really considered SIGs. I keep reading to many issues with their QC lately......but maybe that's just with their latest rifles?

Charliebravo

Glock 26 for double stacks

Kahr for single stack.
    Another vote for the G26, nice. I'm going to pass on Kahrs due to their long DA style trigger. Gonna stick with strikers.

Heck, I might as well finger Springfield's new 9mm XD Mod2 while I'm at it, lol.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Yet another vote for the Glock 26.

Not drop in your pocket size but very easy to carry concealed with an IWB or shoulder harness, and much easier to control and shoot rapidly and accurately than wee little pocket pistols.

Now for my wee liitle pocket derringer needs I have a Kel-Tec PF-9. Better than nothing but the G26 gives me a better feeling when I have it on me. I have been eyeballing the LC9s for this niche but I doubt it will replace the G26 as my main CCW.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post

Thanks for the input RS about the G26. What style do you carry yours? I.e. iwb, owb, etc.?
    I use this IWB from Comp-Tac.

http://www.comp-tac.com/inside-the-w...-holster-10225
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Since you have a buddy with a 19 you can try, consider this Glock at the link. It is a new model called the 30s. It has a slimmer slide than the Glock 30 or 30 SF models to make it thinner. The 30 has just about the same over all length and height of a 19. So what I'm saying is, this .45 ACP 30s might be an even better choice. 10 rounds of .45 ACP in a 9 mm sized package. Nice.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...dgun&groupid=6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast