Thread: I picked up some 5.56 today. My observations at the store...

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I picked up some 5.56 today. My observations at the store...

So I went to the local outdoor outfitters store that always has a huge selection of ammo in stock (except for .22, of course) to see how they're doing with their .223/5.56 stock. When I approached the ammo section, I noticed that the .223/5.56 aisle was so packed with dudes that I couldn't even walk down it for a while. The other aisles were free of shoppers. The store had a 1000-round purchase limit on .223/5.56. There was still a good supply since they keep a large inventory in the back of the store, but there were many gaps on the shelves. Federal M855 was $65 per 150. Federal XM193 was $50 per 150. There was also a good stock of Independence XM193 500-round cases for $162.

I picked up a case of the Independence and proceeded to the check-out. The cashier had the bar code number memorized and didn't even have to look. She said, "I've checked-out so many of these this week that I don't even have to open them up any more to look at the number."

Time to go back to shooting 7.62x39 for a while until this latest panic settles down.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I had ordered some green tip (delivery delayed by snow) a week ago but just ordered another 500 rounds of 55 grain ammo. Buying options have seriously changed in the last 24 hours.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

It's hit or miss around here. There's plenty of 20 rnd. Tulas still on the shelf, but the larger packs are getting a little scarce. I picked up 4 boxes of American Eagle (90 rnd. on 10 rnd. stripper clips). But, they still had a few boxes of those left. One WallyWorld was totally sold out of everything in .223. Forget .22 RF at all of them.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    It's hit or miss around here. There's plenty of 20 rnd. Tulas still on the shelf, but the larger packs are getting a little scarce. I picked up 4 boxes of American Eagle (90 rnd. on 10 rnd. stripper clips). But, they still had a few boxes of those left. One WallyWorld was totally sold out of everything in .223. Forget .22 RF at all of them.
    Seems like folks are not messing around and are grabbing the bull by the horns by snatching up cases instead of the little boxes. I'm not even going to bother checking out my Wal-Mart.

As an aside, it looks like 7.62x39 is beginning to disappear, too. Right now it looks like 12 ga., 9mm and .40 will be my only plinking calibers. I'm not going to shoot up my ammo stash unless I can easily replace it as I go like I usually do.

Spook the flock and they run with fear and panic in a predictable fashion. We (gun owners) are often our own worst enemy.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

This is the worst possible time to be buying 5.56 ammo.

I started building up my supply when Zero was first elected. Stopped during the insane price gouging following Sandy Hook. Over the last year or so added more to the stash. Now I'm done, at least until prices return to a semblance of normalcy.

I also followed pretty much the same pattern with acquiring 5.45x39 and 7.62x39.

I have seen it appear at the local wall mart. The zq1 ammo is still 9.99 for 30 rounds. Though it has been not very plentiful. The zq1 in .308 is pretty abundant. But yesterday I had to go and there was none. Still at 9.97 for 20 rounds. I did pick up a case from aim of (swiss?) 556 for a little over 426.00 shipped. I also picked up some of the American Eagle 150 round boxes at wall mart the other day as well. I am really not hurting for any of it. But the hoarder in me says that I need to buy more.

On line prices have gone up. Heck I don't shoot enough to justify buying more ammo. But I do, because I can. Not too many people around here are panic buying the .223/556. But enough are that it isn't keeping in stock at the store. I have to go pick up my son here in a bit, so, I'll pass by the store and see what there is. I will admit to buying around 3k off the stuff in the past few weeks.

I think you mean Swedish 5.56 El Duce.

Swiss made 5.56 fodder is very hard to come by here in The States.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Just checked out a WW about 25 miles away, today. They had no .223. I did pick up a box each of .45 auto (100 rnd.), .32 auto (50 rnd.) and 9 mm. (100 rnd.)

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    I think you mean Swedish 5.56 El Duce.

Swiss made 5.56 fodder is very hard to come by here in The States.

Yep, you are right. Ordered it from AIM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Honestly Swiss 5.56 ammo is not all that desireable even if you could get it. They make a super thick mild steel jacket to prevent the bullet from fragmenting like it should. They worry about being inhumane when they shoot enemies. Yeah I know, very strange point of view.

In California it has gone insane of course.
    There is no 223/556 on the market at all at this point that is anywhere near fair priced.
    Im seeing ss109 going for $750 a case

I stockpiled my 55gr stuff before I came out here, and I only shoot 69gr through my main AR so it doesnt really matter, but there is no way I would try to buy ammo now...

Went to Dick's and bought 120 rnd. pack of XM193 for $59. A little high, but not too bad. They had about 10 packs of it left. Went to another WallyWorld close by and they had no 5.56 on any of their shelves.

So far, it looks like the panic buying is sporadic around here, but it's coming. Usually, every WW has a lot of 5.56 on their shelves.

Freedom isn't free.

Went to wall mart yesterday and they probably had 50+ boxes of the 30 round zq1 ammo. Plus plenty of the American Eagle brand 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Went to wall mart yesterday and they probably had 50+ boxes of the 30 round zq1 ammo. Plus plenty of the American Eagle brand 5.56.
    What's interesting about this latest panic is it seems to have ceased abruptly with the news that the ATF is taking their boots off of M855's neck temporarily. I don't see much post-panic panicking going on this time around like we still see with .22LR.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    What's interesting about this latest panic is it seems to have ceased abruptly with the news that the ATF is taking their boots off of M855's neck temporarily. I don't see much post-panic panicking going on this time around like we still see with .22LR.
    I think there would be no 5.56 mm on the shelves now if the same thing had happened that happened to the .22 RF. When the .22 RF panic started, those buying the .22's cleaned out the shelves of all the stores. Those who came in later to buy some, found the shelves bare. They swore that when it became available again, they were going to buy all they could. That "scare" is still there.

5.56 never did see any empty shelves in all the stores, so that "scare" didn't happen. As long as people could still find it, it didn't seem like it was really gone. Now that the ATF has backed off, and the shelves are filling back up, people see no need to stockpile 5.56, anymore. So, there is no shortage of 5.56 right now, like there still is with .22's.

Freedom isn't free.