Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: He's Dead, Jim.

"Mira" episode, not really a favorite but did anyone else ever notice it was filmed on the old "Mayberry" set

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

this is what I think of when I remember Spock's death.

R.I.P. Mr. Nimoy
    Last edited by rktman; 03-01-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    If they can get excellent writing talent, the new alternate time line Enterprise and crew could become as successful as the original crew. I thought they did an excellent job.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    The Devil in the Dark is my favorite 1st season episode. Nimoy's Sock character doing the mind meld with the creature set a benchmark for that skill in the series.
    That was a good episode. I think the "No Kill I" thing was really clever... I think everyone asked the same question at the same time... "does it mean don't kill me or does it mean I won't kill you?"
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    My most memorable spock episodes were when they removed his brain, and the one when a flying pizza landed on his back and took him over or something.
    That was "Spock's brain" (where they stole his brain to run the infrastructure of the planet) and the other one was "Operation Annihilate" where the "flying pizzas" were single cells of a huge alien life form that took over the planet (Deneva I think it was called) and they forced the inhabitants to build them transportation in order to spread through the galaxy. Then the doctor figures out that mega bright light kills them and "cures" Spock of the alien with bright light (which blinds him). Kirk is disgusted with McCoy for not knowing that only a certain color of light was required and not the whole thing and Spock didn't need to be blinded. But alas, because Spock is a Vulcan and Vulcan (the planet) has a bright, hot sun, Vulcans have a special eyelid that protect their eyes from bright light and horray Spock isn't blind after all

And no I am not a trekkie....... I just happen to have a good memory.... of Star Trek episodes...

Good memory Krupski. It was "Deneva".

As for the "Devil in the Dark" creature - it was called a "Horta".

And how many of you remember the trivia about the girl in "All Our Yesterdays", Mariette Hartley?

Because the censors would not let Roddenberry show her navel in that episode, a few years later he "doubled down". A TV Movie with Hartley and Alex Cord called "Genesis II", she played Lyra-A and had two navels. She also costarred with James Garner in all those commercials.

Star Trek allowed Nimoy to show so many different aspects of his life from the cereberal to the physical, from serious to comical. He didn't have that "range" when he played "Paris" on "Mission: Impossible".
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Good memory Krupski. It was "Deneva".

As for the "Devil in the Dark" creature - it was called a "Horta".

And how many of you remember the trivia about the girl in "All Our Yesterdays", Mariette Hartley?

Because the censors would not let Roddenberry show her navel in that episode, a few years later he "doubled down". A TV Movie with Hartley and Alex Cord called "Genesis II", she played Lyra-A and had two navels. She also costarred with James Garner in all those commercials.

Star Trek allowed Nimoy to show so many different aspects of his life from the cereberal to the physical, from serious to comical. He didn't have that "range" when he played "Paris" on "Mission: Impossible".
    I've got a really old paperback book "The making of Star Trek" and there's a chapter that discusses network censors and what could and could not be shown, said (or even implied) on film.

Belly buttons were a no-no. "underboobs" were a no-no, but regular boobs were OK. Roddenberry sarcastically wondered if "moss grows there" (under boobs) and that's why the top is OK but the bottom forbidden. "Harsh" violence was a no-no. Scenes ACTUALLY depicting a violent act were not allowed, nor was any blood, gore or mess allowed to be seen AFTER an IMPLIED killing.

A typical example is the episode "Arena" where Kirk has to battle the Gorn (the hissing dinosaur-like starship captain from the other ship)... Kirk finally defeats him by building an illegal destructive device ... oops I mean a cannon out of sulfer, potassium nitrate and charcoal (and DIAMONDS as projectiles!). They show Kirk building the cannon, then touching off the propellant charge and making a boom, but then the camera cuts to a different scene showing the Gorn lying on the ground wounded. It's IMPLIED that Kirk shot him, but it's not shown (nor is any blood or gore allowed to be shown).

For that matter, watch any older (before 1970) movie that has someone getting shot. They may go so far as showing the gun fire, but then the victim just goes "ugh" and slowly sinks to the ground... not one drop of blood or gore to be seen. Even the "period of suffering" between getting shot and dying could not be too harsh. A little bit of groaning or maybe "ugh you shot me" was allowed, but no more.

For Star Trek, Bill Theiss (head costume designer) took advantage of the censors rules when designing costumes and uniforms for the show (especially the women). He purposely designed the clothes to cover everything to remain legal, but have the LOOK as if it's barely attached and about to fall off. Another trick he used a lot was high cuts that showed as much leg as possible. Legs weren't banned by the censors!

In other episodes like Conscience of the King (Kodos the executioner) - his daughter is trying to kill off the last witnesses to what Kodos did on Tarsus 4 (killed 1/2 the people so that the other half would have enough of the scarce remaining food and survive). One person is killed, another (a red shirt - Riley I think) is poisoned but lives... all these acts are implied but never shown. The poisoning of Riley is shown only as someone squirting some white liquid into his glass of milk, then he picks it up, THINKS ABOUT taking a drink, but it's never SHOWN on film... then the next scene Riley is lying on the floor in engineering going "ugh". They weren't allowed to show a DIRECT connection to the poison and the illness.. they could only imply it.

It's a sad testament to out society today that virtually anything is allowed on TV, and worse yet early enough for young kids to see.

[QUOTE]
    [
    /QUOTE]

As a 12 or 13 year old kid, I had a real crush on her (Hartley). Come to think of it now... she's a redhead....... makes sense.

(well that's strange...the quote is messed up but I see nothing wrong with it.....)

Jeanie (I Dream of Jeanie) was never allowed to show her belly button either...

Too sexual damn you! Those hippies will be raping school marms and spinsters without end if Jeanie shows her belly button!!!

In response, all I can do is quote Eric Cartman..."God damn dirty stinkin' hippies!!!!"
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

The Big Bang Theory did a tribute to Leonard Nimoy on their show last night:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/the-big-ban...849494045.html

"Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    As a 12 or 13 year old kid, I had a real crush on her (Hartley). Come to think of it now... she's a redhead....... makes sense.

(well that's strange...the quote is messed up but I see nothing wrong with it.....)
    We must be about the same age then as I was entranced by Hartley as well!
    And yes, it was "Riley" that was poisoned.

As for "redheads", Rhonda Fleming, Piper Laurie, Maureen O'Hara, Barbara Rhodes, Gates McFadden, *sighs*. The only redhead I can think of that I did NOT like is probably the most famous one of all - Lucille Ball.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Jeanie (I Dream of Jeanie) was never allowed to show her belly button either...

Too sexual damn you! Those hippies will be raping school marms and spinsters without end if Jeanie shows her belly button!!!

In response, all I can do is quote Eric Cartman..."God damn dirty stinkin' hippies!!!!"
    At home in the 1960's, we had B&W TV sets. One day I came home and we had a new TV... a COLOR TV!!!

I was fascinated to see color on the screen, and the very first thing I ever saw in color on a TV was "I dream of Jeannie". That's what was on when I saw the TV the first time.

BTW, I had the hots for Jeannie too. Not a redhead, but I wouldn't have turned her down (although with me being around 7 or 8 years old at the time, she would probably have turned me down).

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    We must be about the same age then as I was entranced by Hartley as well!
    And yes, it was "Riley" that was poisoned.

As for "redheads", Rhonda Fleming, Piper Laurie, Maureen O'Hara, Barbara Rhodes, Gates McFadden, *sighs*. The only redhead I can think of that I did NOT like is probably the most famous one of all - Lucille Ball.
    Getting old sucks.....

-->

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Getting old sucks.....
    It's still better than the alternative.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I always thought Ann Margaret was one hot redhead.

Even old she ain't half bad.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    I always thought Ann Margaret was one hot redhead.

Even old she ain't half bad.
    Oooo - I had forgotten her on my list! Thanks for the reminder!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12