Thread: Help Krupski and Oswald!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Help Krupski and Oswald!

Put a different board in P5N-T in place of P5N-D I780 chipset instead of I760. Windows XP64 took care of most things, I went to the asus website for the chipset drivers, had continual problems trying to install them( later I figured out the website has the wrong chipset drivers for the board. Went and got the Nvidia Nforcedrivers, now all I get is a blue screen "Pagefault in non paged area. No matter if I try normal start or last known good ect. Tried repairing windows same thing. try to go into safe mode, tells me I can't go into safe mode while installing windows........AM I totally fucked? I hate to start all over and loss years worth of pics, games I got working ect. Id there any reliable software to get me booted back into windows?

You can try #10 from here: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-...-xp-wont-boot/

No sure what that will do to all your settings for games etc. But all your pics and files are still there. If it were me, I'd get a new SSD Drive, unhook the current drive and do a fresh install of 64, then hook your old drive back up as a secondary file drive. That route you'd certainly have reset everything back up, but you run absolutely no risk of screwing up any of the current files on your drive. Plus, you'll love having an SSD drive as your boot drive. Back when I got mine I did a bunch of research on the various SSD's, pros and cons, and settled on a crucial M4 128 Gig (plenty of room for both XP64 and a Win 7 dual boot)...but I'm sure that pro/con landscape has changed since then.

Edited to add:

Another option would be use of a Hiren's Boot CD...which will allow you boot to an XP Win32 environment from DVD, and should allow you access the files on your drive and transfer them to a USB stick or portable drive, prior to reformatting your main drive for reinstall of winblows...

Yes, it's winblows...it is what it is...it blows....thank Bill Gates.
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 03-08-2015 at 02:25 AM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Well after all that, guess what was the original cause? There is a short in my reset switch!!!!!!!!!!!! ERRRRRRRRRRR when I touch the two wires near the switch instant reboot.This is why I was getting random reboots even during prepost and post! Now XP64 is so corrupted there is no fixing it, Got 7 to work fine with the replacement P5N-D board with two memory sticks in single channel mode, but it has a bad memory slot preventing any dual channel use. I'm gonna have to try the original board now. I'm gonna have to start all over with XP64 though. Nothing I do can bring it back from the BSOD. This really blows, 7 won't play USAF. Tried all the compatibility modes from the XP64 partition.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 03-08-2015 at 03:38 AM.

IS there anyway to access the registry of XP64 from 7 ? on the same drive, different partitions? I think it's the chipset drivers I downloaded and installed that royally fucked XP64, thinking if I can access the registry and remove that crap I might be able to fix it?
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 03-08-2015 at 03:40 AM.

Only thing like that I've been able to locate is a program called PC Regedit, but its website appears to be defunct and I can't find a download of it...not even on oldversion.com...

Here's a bit more info on it: http://alternativeto.net/software/pc-regedit/

Have to run to the store...I'll see if I can locate a copy once I get back.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Looks like this may allow you to do what you want...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...linentpwed.htm

Bootable ISO, burn to disk and boot from it, select the partition you want, tell it where the registry is and it will give you options as to what part of the registry you want to edit. The tutorial linked to is about resetting passwords, but also looks like it gives you the ability to edit the registry pretty much anywhere you want as well...
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 03-09-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks, might give it a shot. Can't believe I didn't figure that out by the way I had to play with the reset button to get it going sometimes. All that aggravation for a short circuit. Definitely going to back up the partition before I start messing with it any further. 7 sees all the files, but can't get USAF to run on 7 Total annihilation/Mayhem works though.... Thanks for all the help and suggestions my friend.

Just goes to prove the old adage...it's always the last place you check!

Any time on the help bud...just holler.

Well good news!!! That software I bought didn't do shit(got refunded), but I messed around following a million different directions online fixing hal.dll and messing with the MBR and fix boot and all kinds of stuff for days, finally got the winxp64 disk to repair the install!!!!!! I had to load a network driver after the repair along with SP2 and video drivers for my SLI 450GT's, but everything is intact, some files are under a different administrator file, but all there. USAF is flying high!!!!!! What a relief. No need to reinstall everything! If I had to do it all again, I couldn't say what fixed it enough to complete the repair!!!! The XP64 Gods were looking out for me.

Good deal 1Pat...but, not to put a damper on things...except...

You're still dealing with XP, and winblows.

As long as you're basically only using it for gaming, not making many changes to the OS / hardware...should last some while. But if you're planning on using it long term, you're still better off to do a reinstall, re-setup at some point, as it is an OS known to become unstable after time...

Additionally, always take a restore point before any serious change, so can at least revert if need be.

Just a heads up.

Yeah, I was thinking of backing up the system now on a monthly basis. Have a weird situation here now, I went to uninstall my antivirus to reinstall it since it's not running, there's nothing except what I installed after the repair on the list! Wierd. I guess I'll have to make sure everything works, not just one game.

Not sure which AV you're using, but most have an uninstall tool that will allow you to remove all traces, even when the install becomes corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Not sure which AV you're using, but most have an uninstall tool that will allow you to remove all traces, even when the install becomes corrupt.
    What's really bizarre is all my games ect work, but nothing is in the add/remove(except the stuff added since the repair when you go to control panel! I use Avast.

That's pretty easy to explain. There are several files in the system32\config folder that are created with an install. As you add programs and devices to the system, those files are updated with that info. Your recovery process likely replaced those files with clean ones from the install disk, so while the system boots and functions, nothing you'd installed since the initial installation is recognized as the proper updates are no longer in those files. You'll essentially need to do a reinstall of all your programs to get them to show up in add/remove again. Some may function properly without, others won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    That's pretty easy to explain. There are several files in the system32\config folder that are created with an install. As you add programs and devices to the system, those files are updated with that info. Your recovery process likely replaced those files with clean ones from the install disk, so while the system boots and functions, nothing you'd installed since the initial installation is recognized as the proper updates are no longer in those files. You'll essentially need to do a reinstall of all your programs to get them to show up in add/remove again. Some may function properly without, others won't.
    Yeah found that out, wishful thinking on my part. Looks like the vast majority are going to need reinstalling, I based my statement on a couple working right off the bat.

For future Driver issues try Driver easy I had a real bitch of a time getting the right drivers for a Frankenstein laptop recently and this free version worked great.