Thread: Mossberg 930

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Mossberg 930

I'll start this off by saying 2 things:
    1. 90% of my shotgun experience is on a Remmington 870, so I know very little about how semi auto shotguns perate (unless you include Saiga).
    2. While I've never thought badly of Mossberg (aside from their 715 rifles), nor have I heard anything really negative about them, I've never owned one... Until now.

My wife bought me a Mossberg 930 for my birthday. Not my first choice gun but hey, my WIFE bought me a gun. How many other guys get so lucky? It's awesome or that reason alone! As with any new gun I get, I promptly disassembled cleaned with Hoppes #9, oiled the parts, and reassembled. On that basis alone, I've decided I don't like the piston assembly. Way more complicated than need be, but maybe that's just any semi auto shotgun configured with an under barrel tube mag. I also don't care for how the bolt is set up with the recoil spring.

After reassembly I loaded it up and started cycling it via charging handle with live rounds (all done outside with gun pointed in a safe direction, etc.). It seems to cycle flawlessly, and even has a bolt hold open. Very nice! I don't like the barrel, however. It's smooth bore (which is fine), it's 18.5 Inches (less than ideal, but ok) With a fixed "breecher" muzzle brake (lame) and does not accept chokes (super gay!) but still has just the single "bead" sight up front. So I essentially have a slug barrel with a sight better suited for birdshot. I found the "turkey" barrel that fits this platform, but everyone is sold out. This gun will not be accompanying me on any turkey hunts next month. Fortunately, the receiver is already drilled and tapped for a scope, so I may attach a red dot sight on some scope rings and use it as my deer gun in the next deer season shooting rifled slugs.

I want to get out and shoot it today, but I only have 12 guage 2 3/4" low brass birdshot, so I'm concerned the weaker load will be insufficient for cyclying in this gun, given that it's NIB and I've heard semi autos are often jam-o-matics with these weaker loads, let alone when it hasn't been worn in decently. So I may shoot all 100 rounds through it, strip it, clean it, oil it again, and cycle some 3" buck shot and slugs when I get my hands on some and repeat a few times and try my luck with low brass for plinking then.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

I have a FN SLP...essentially the same gun as the 930SPX. While I agree somewhat with you about the gun being overly complicated, it was designed by JMB originally in the Browning A5. It is solid and reliable and cycles as fast as you can pull. Its a good gun, enjoy it. Did your gun come with more than one recoil cylinder for heavy and light loads?

I'm not saying this gun is particularly complicated, just that it was more so than need be. No it didn't come with more recoil cylinders (I actually have yet to take my butt stock apart and look more into that), just shims for adjusting LOP. From what I'm reading, a good break in with heavier loads in the 3" shells (not 3 1/2" magnums, only the 935 was made for those) seems to help it, others have had good luck right out of the box. Me... I'll just have to see.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

I'm curious how you like the 930. I have been interested in them for a little while. They are supposed to eat anything.

60 rounds of Winchester 2 3/4" low brass birdshot was ate up nearly flawlessly, only one failure to eject out of them all. 3" buck shot and slugs as well as 2 3/4" slugs all functioned flawlessly.

Accuracy: Like I said in the first post, the barrel on my configuration does not accept a choke so bird shot just scatters.
    Buckshot doesn't spread horribly far apart, 8 of the balls in the shot hit on target.
    3" slug Landed where I wanted it to every time. 2 3/4" slugs were hitting a hair low.

I couldn't quite get used to the trigger on it, but it had a great feel to it. Very light. I man holy hell was it light. Every bit as light as a Tapco G2 AK trigger group, but with almost no creep and very little over travel.
    Once I get a feel for the trigger and working its reset point I could get this thing shooting with speed. The recoil is very manageable with all the loads I ran through it, and the muzzle rise took just a little effort to control (maybe that muzzle brake I thought was useless serves a purpose after all).
    While I'm still not a fan of this configuration of the 930, with a few changes (and a little more trigger time) I think I could actually make this one of my go to guns.

Despite my initial concerns, this gun functioned almost flawlessly and was pleasant to shoot.

Damn, now i really want one

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

My dad has the same barrell on a M590. Personally, I like it. It does the same thing that the standard 18" cylinder bore with bead sight does, but it fits in with all the rifles with flash suppressors. Also it would be good for knocking out teeth.

I've been wanting a 930 in the SPX configuration as well as the JM-Pro.

http://www.kygunco.com/mossberg-930-...hot-blue-59883
    http://www.kygunco.com/mossberg-930-...rd-black-26073
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Here is my father's breecher next to my special purpose 590:

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

^ I like.

Anyone interested in a semi auto shotgun who doesn't want to shell out the $$$ for a VEPR or Saiga AK platform shotgun, I highly recommend the 930 (several configurations available, I'd stay away from the breecher unless you plan on breeching doors or shooting slugs exclusively). My friend Chris and his buddy Eric (active duty USMC) were both shooting with me and both were/ are Remmington fanboys. They were both telling me before hand how semi auto shotguns suck and how often they had issues with their Remmington 11-87's. They enjoyed this shotgun as much as I did and were thoroughly impressed with it. I definitely don't hear them mocking Mossberg anymore.

I have an old Mossberg 500 that I picked up years ago for $175. It has a speedfeed stock, hogue for end, side saddle shell carrier and heat shield now but it is essentially a bare bones pump shotty. It is absolutely my go to home defense gun. Nothing wrong with Mossbergs.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Interesting thread. Glad it seems to be working out for you as a reliable firearm.

Update:
    Took it out last week, would not cycle the low brass this time. Worked flawlessly with 2 3/4" high brass slugs & buck shot and 3" loads.

Strange, worked almost flawlessly with low brass out of the box. Did a complete breakdown clean and lube after firing and put it away, but it did worse afterwords.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Update:
    Took it out last week, would not cycle the low brass this time. Worked flawlessly with 2 3/4" high brass slugs & buck shot and 3" loads.

Strange, worked almost flawlessly with low brass out of the box. Did a complete breakdown clean and lube after firing and put it away, but it did worse afterwords.
    Then it is probably how or what you used to lube it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Update:

Was it the same ammo? Same brand, same shot size?

Same exact Winchester No. 8 ammo. Cleaned in detail (including piston, rings, and gas ports in barrel) with Hoppes No. 9, then applied moderate amounts of Remoil to the "piston extension", bolt & carrier, guide rails, and receiver walls. Perhaps Remoil isn't up to the task, but I don't think that's the case as I use it in my AR also and it has been more than adequate.