Thread: Update on British 303 ammo..

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Update on British 303 ammo..

The 303 I ordered from Midway arrived today. 10 boxes in a 30 cal GI ammo can. The ammo was boxed in 20 round boxes that looked brand new with no info stamped on them anywhere. The ammo itself looks brand new. There is no headstamp and the primer is not sealed with a noticeable colored sealant. I found one comment on the no headstamp ammo. The poster said they thought the ammo is Indian ammo. I have had very good luck with Indian NATO 762x51 ammo so I hope this ammo is as good. I hope to shoot tomorrow and will report back. In the meantime, I am off to Bass Pro to get some powder so I can reload the brass I have on hand. I have had good luck with IMR 3031 in the past. I may try IMR 4064 as that is what I load my 308 and 3006 with.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well I'd say I hope it works out to be reliable ammo. On powder 4350 might be a better choice if you're loading 180 gr. bullet weights.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thanks for the update. I'll be interested in what you find at the range. I've only got two Enfields left in my collection but very little ammo. If this turns out to be good stuff I may get a little just so I can enjoy my rifles a few more times at the range.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

No shooting today. It is raining and expected to the rest of the day. I plan on using this ammo in my Enfields No1 and 4. I will reload for my P14s. I should get longer life out of the brass that way. chris

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yep Enfileds have really big chambers, the brass gets stretched a lot, Full Length resizing really work hardens it fast.