Thread: Any Asimov fans ?

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Any Asimov fans ?

If you read his Foundation trilogy, you might be interested in this. His estate has authorized three writers to continue the saga with three new books:
    Foundation's Fear; Foundation and Chaos; Foundation's Triumph.
    I'm going to upload them on my Nook. The Foundation trilogy is what got me interested in science fantasy 30 some years ago

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/foun...=9780061056383

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes I read those a loooooooong time ago. I was in High School. I wonder how good they could be, after all he isn't writing these. My wife has a Nook, an older one and the newer Samsung built version.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Asimov, Bova, Clarke....

I thought the movie adaptation of his book, 'Bicentennial Man', was pretty good.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Yep Asimov was the first scifi i really started buying scifi books for.

Ever read any of the old Edger Rice Boroughs Si Fi?

One of these days when I whitle down my reading pile I would like to read one of his books to see if they are good. I have heard about them for a while and they sound interisting enough to give one a go.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Yep, finished his John Carter of Mars, the Barsoom chronicals last year, 800+ pages, great book. I try to take on one writer at a time and read all of their books. Started with Asimov, H.G.Wells, Robert Silverberg, Pohl Anderson,Heinlein, Arthur C. Clark, Stephen Baxter and most other popular sci-fi writers. There a few books from each writer i may have missed but i'll get to them some day

Saw the movie John Carter a while back, and like most movies from books, a lot was left out or changed, probably could have made 6-7 movies from that one book and still left a lot of stuff out
    Last edited by davepool; 03-20-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Yes I read those a loooooooong time ago. I was in High School. I wonder how good they could be, after all he isn't writing these. My wife has a Nook, an older one and the newer Samsung built version.
    I got my Nook a few years ago, on a recommendation from Oswald bastable. I was a hard core page turner before then and had resisted E-readers for a long time. Now the bed stand is a lot less cluttered and my only problem is forgetting to charge the fucking battery ( i never thought i would be saying that )

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

60+ years ago, got hooked on sci fi by Andre Norton.

Have read most of the authors you all have mentioned, plus many more.

Does anybody remember the double books that used to sell for about 35 cents?

You read the story on one side, then turned the book over and there was another novel on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1558 View Post

You read the story on one side, then turned the book over and there was another novel on the other side.
    I have to say no to the double books or for 35 cents a book. I discovered Sci-Fi in 5th grade, it was Heinlein's Rocket Ship Galileo. Read all his stuff then branched out from there. I did all the library books I could find then went to paper backs. Prices were 75 cents to a buck each. I think I purchased Dune for $1.50, woah, big money!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

All you guys rock. Makes me proud to be technical nerd

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway

Oh, yeah, thought that was quite the bargain.
    How about the monthly scifi magazines with short stories and a novella...like Galaxy, and others I can't recall at the moment?
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

The John Carter Mars series, the Venusian series, the Pellucidar/Inner Earth series. Still have the books.

In no particular order: Clarke, Andre (aka Alice Mary) Norton, Heinlein, Asimov, Verne, Wells, Bradbury, James Blish, Frederik Pohl, Jack Williamson, Zenna Henderson, Leigh Brackett, Lester del Rey, Victor Appleton and Victor Appleton II. Talk about "mis-spent youth"!

I also have maybe a dozen of those double books, many from the 1950s.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”