Thread: Precesion/sniper rifle build

Question Precesion/sniper rifle build

So I have been toying with the idea of building a bolt action precision/sniper rifle for a while. Well it is now in the beginning stages of finalization.

I ordered the rifle stock that I wanted. Probably a weird way to start a build but it seemed like the way to go considering that the model I wanted has been discontinued and the supply was drying up. So figuring that this was the one thing I was pretty sure I wanted in a rifle I figured that the time was now or never to start. I have put this project off for a long time since it looks like it will be expensive but this seemed like the last chance so I decided to start it. I suspect it will take quite some time but at least it is off to a good start.

So here it is.

An Accuracy International AICS for a Remington 700 short action. In my opinion it is out landashly expensive but it was what I wanted so I figured I had better get one while supplies lasted. Better to cry once than regret it later. It is supposed be good though. Other stocks that I looked at and liked were also expensive.

Well seeing as how I have now cast my dice in the Remington 700 short action of some sort I have questions and could use some opinions on the next step I should take.

It would seem to me from here that the next logical step to take would be to either get a receiver or a barrel. It would seem to me though I don’t know for sure, is that what barrel you get would depend on the receiver correct? So it seems to me that it makes the most sense to get a receiver next.

The good news is I am fairly certain that I want to go with a 308 though I wouldn’t rule something else out at this point. So at this point there are a few options I am thinking about going with, a regular Remington 700, a Surgeon, or a Stiller. Does any one know of any other Remington 700 style receivers. Any opnions on these three?

From what I gather so far the Surgeon seems like it is higher quality though much, much more expensive. The Stiller seems to be much more expensive than the Remington but less than the Surgeon.

So that is about were I am at so far.

I figure after that to get a barrel, then a trigger, followed by a scope.

Does any one know where to get the 10 round mags for this thing? It seems like every single place that I have found that sells them is sold out.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Hi Penguin, the stock looks nice. Honestly I only know about the basic 700 action, I own a 700 BDL Long Action in .30-06. From what I've read about the accuracy of bolt guns the technique is to; True the face of the receiver so that it is square to the axis of the receiver and barrel. Also lap the bolt lugs so that they are making full contact on the back sides in the receiver to provide consistent support on all lugs.

If you can get essentially a trued action in the form of the Stiller, (from your description) might be the compromise. If you get a basic Remington it might be OK, and not effect your accuracy bottom line. On the other hand if you go basic and you think it is costing you results, it can be sent to a qualified gunsmith and trued up later.

On Caliber, that is a mile wide topic and totally rests on your opinion. I would ask how far you want to be able to have performance? You going for 200 yards, 300, 500, 600 , 1000 or more? .308 is about done at 1,000 yards. To be usable beyond that a person has to have a hell of a lot of trigger time and rounds down range if you expect to actually hit something. I'll tell you I haven't shot on paper beyond 600 yards, I do have a friend that does 1000 yard shooting and do have some input from him. You have to think common ammo in the .308 or maybe something like 6.5 Creedmoor http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784...ProductFinding

From http://www.eabco.com/6.5_mm_cartridges.html a description of the chambering.
    6.5mm Creedmoor - Developed by Hornady and Creed-moor Sports, the 6.5mm Creedmoor is designed for effic-iency and function. Its shape reaches high velocities while maintaining standard 308 win pressures and its overall length fits well with 308 win length magazines. You can expect velocities of 2600-2700+ fps with 140 gr bullets.
    This is quite a good long range all around chambering. Barrel life is pretty good unlike 6.5 x .284, a popular 1000 yard competition chambering. Barrel life on that one is about 1000 rounds.

On barrel, stainless steel and as high end as you can afford. Kreiger barrels are pretty top end. Get what ever barrel you go for Cryogenic treated. It will make it last at least 2x as long as a noncryo treated barrel.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-20-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

yes, 2 important things are truing the face of the receiver and lapping the lugs in. the old fashoned design of the remington makes the lug contact very important. savage (and others after, including the bottom end remingtons) have taken the factory accuracy level a huge step forward in modular, unnatached and pinned on bolt heads. the loose nature of them let them self align. that said, id take a quality constructed one piece bolt like a 700 or mauser over a cheap pos like the savage any day. another step is truing the threads so there is no off center tension from a badly cut thread. any of this is not hard to do if you have a lathe. another distinct feature the remington has is the separate recoil lug. it is screwed in between the receiver and the barrel, so precision is important. get or make a perfectly parallel, precision ground one. while this feature may seem like an extra pita step, it does have its advantages over something like a mauser with the fixed recoil lug on the receiver.

your best bet on the receiver for top accuracy would be a single shot action. not having the magwell cut out makes the action much stiffer and therefore, more stable (ie, accurate) but no one really wants a single shot, do they?? everything is a compromise. many people also like to cut the bolt and install sako type extractors, which may help a lot for reliability, but does nothing for, and imo, can be detrimental to accuracy (while the remington system may not be the strongest, it grips the cartrige fairly unobtrusively. a sako type extractor can put extra forces on the side of the case head)

another thing to to know is weather or not you plan on bedding the action in the stock. im n ot sure of the specs on the ai stcks, but im guessing it will have a decent pillar bedding set up, but that can always be improved upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If you can get essentially a trued action in the form of the Stiller, (from your description) might be the compromise. If you get a basic Remington it might be OK, and not effect your accuracy bottom line. On the other hand if you go basic and you think it is costing you results, it can be sent to a qualified gunsmith and trued up later.
    That isn't a bad idea. It would probably be cheaper to go that route.

On Caliber, that is a mile wide topic and totally rests on your opinion. I would ask how far you want to be able to have performance? You going for 200 yards, 300, 500, 600 , 1000 or more? .308 is about done at 1,000 yards. To be usable beyond that a person has to have a hell of a lot of trigger time and rounds down range if you expect to actually hit something. I'll tell you I haven't shot on paper beyond 600 yards, I do have a friend that does 1000 yard shooting and do have some input from him. You have to think common ammo in the .308 or maybe something like 6.5 Creedmoor http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784...ProductFinding
    I am very much leaning toward a 308 as I think it would work suit my needs it is common and it isn't hard to find information on. There are also many different loads out there to chose from. The other one I have considered is the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have heard great things about it but don't know a whole lot about it other than it is supposed to have an edge over the 308 at the longer ranges.

I suspect that I will mostly shoot at 300 yards though I think that isn't that far. Reason for that is the local range here has a 300 yard range and I don't know of a logner one around here. I will have to do some looking though as I would like to work my way out to longer distances. I don't think I will ever be shooting past 1000. Which is why I chose the short action stock. If I can't find a range here that is longer than 300 I can always drive out to the middle of no where. The thing that sucks about that is every year that means driving farther and farther. So I think while the 6.5 may be better I think the 308 would probably be good enough for what I need.

On barrel, stainless steel and as high end as you can afford. Kreiger barrels are pretty top end. Get what ever barrel you go for Cryogenic treated. It will make it last at least 2x as long as a noncryo treated barrel.
    Why stainless steel? Is chrome linning a bad idea? I have heard that it extends barrel life but I have also heard that generally lining the barrel degrades accuracy because the chome doesn't line the bore at a perfectly uniform thinkness. Though I have heard that the Sako TRG-22 has a chrome lined barrel and those are supposed to be really good rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    your best bet on the receiver for top accuracy would be a single shot action. not having the magwell cut out makes the action much stiffer and therefore, more stable (ie, accurate) but no one really wants a single shot, do they?? everything is a compromise.
    I'm not going to go the single shot route. The stock I got is magazine feed. While it would probably be more acurate one of the features I wanted in a rifle was detachable magazine preferbly 10 rounds or more. This should fit that bill if I can ever find someone who actually has the 10 round ones in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    another thing to to know is weather or not you plan on bedding the action in the stock. im n ot sure of the specs on the ai stcks, but im guessing it will have a decent pillar bedding set up, but that can always be improved upon.
    I am not planing on beeding the action. I am not a huge fan of glass bedding and the nice thing about this one is you don't have to bed it. So that saves a lot of trouble.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Why stainless because it will out wear most nonstainless steel barrels. You are correct chrome lined barrels do not shoot that well. Sure a reasonable level of accuracy is possible in a chrome lined barrel for military Service Rifle type competition. However it isn't really the greatest level of accuracy.

If you want it to be all stealthy looking a simple bead blasting of a stainless barrel will make it a medium gray color and nonreflective. It could also be Gun Koted or just rattle can flat black high temp grill painted if you want to DIY and don't have an oven big enough to bake the finish on. Oh then there is Duracoat that requires no baking.

I wouldn't crap on a model 700 Police Sniper as a starter. Mine shot this group at 300 yards.

[img][/img]

I am confident that the flyer is operator induced

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

These guys look to have the mags in stock.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Accurac...-magazine.html
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    These guys look to have the mags in stock.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Accurac...-magazine.html
    Thanks for the tip. Those are the mags for the AI rifle itself though. The ones for the remington stock are different for I don't know what reason. They are out of those ones of course. Oh well.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Those are the mags for the AI rifle itself though. The ones for the remington stock are different for I don't know what reason. They are out of those ones of course. Oh well.
    Place a back order with Brownell's. It might take a while but eventually you will have your order filled unlike some companies. It isn't like you need it tomorrow, you still don't have an action or a barrel. Speaking of components, what are you going to scope it with?

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

well shit, i dont know either!!

but if i were to venture a guess, id say it would likely be because they designed their rifle to use a detachable magazine and remington didnt. the remington was never designed to be used with a detachable magazine, it usilizes and internal fixed magazine, therefore, the feed lips for said magazine are milled into the receiver, while a rifle designed to take a detachable magazine will likely have the entire opening milled out and use the feed lips on the magazine. a remington magazine conversion must, by necessity, shoehorn the double stack magazine into a single stack feed in rder to fit between the double stack feed lips on the receiver.

Place a back order with Brownell's. It might take a while but eventually you will have your order filled unlike some companies. It isn't like you need it tomorrow, you still don't have an action or a barrel. Speaking of components, what are you going to scope it with?
    There isn't a hurry to get the mags. I don't know what I will scope it with. I figure that will be the last part of the project. I do have Leupold scope that I can use but isn't what I will want to go with permently.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

There isn't a hurry to get the mags. I don't know what I will scope it with. I figure that will be the last part of the project. I do have Leupold scope that I can use but isn't what I will want to go with permently.
    This has been sitting a while ... but!

I thought getting extra mags for my SiG SSG3000 was no big deal until they discontinued it (which came as a shock) ... after that the mags dried up and skyrocketed in price from $30 to $100 ...

I hope your choice to delay turns out better than mine was.