Thread: 600 yards with an AK...

600 yards with an AK...

Pretty incredible...

Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Pretty amazing for the Kalashnikov platform. I'd be interested in knowing the barrel length & caliber. The Russian dude said something about a 60 grain bullet so I'm thinking 5.45x39 or maybe 5.56?

Judging by the magazine, I would say 5.45
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Its just a Saiga 5.45 16" barrel with some fancy rails.

Like Rob Ski said in response to the amazement on facebook, what do you expect from a 3 moa rifle? Using math, you should be able to get a 18" spread at 600 yards, which is just fine for a combat rifle.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Never fired a Saiga 5.45 but I did actually test fire about 2 dozen SAR-2 Romanian rifles. The 5.45 rounds were commonly 2 MOA with certain brands of Russian ammo. At the time there was Silver Bear, (made by Barnual) Wolf, (Tula) and Ulyanovsk in a white box available. These all liked the Uly which was a 70 gr. fully lead core round. The Silver Bear was next best in performance, don't remember the bullet weight. Wolf was the pits by contrast to either of these other two. They 70 gr. Uly ran around 2,700 fps. The others were around 2950 fps. Never had any of the Russian surplus at that time to try out.

I guess the bottom line of the post is, yep I can believe that getting hits at 600 is very doable once you learn hold over or identify your scope settings.

"600 yds. with an AK??

Not with a "stock" barrel!!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

I have a precision rifle for long range. My AK is for plinking (cheap ammo) and if in the need close defense. That AK has too much tactical crap on it.
    Also, with enough patience and effort you can make ANY gun shoot long range.