Thread: Flash hiders. What's the deal? Are some really that much better than others???

Flash hiders. What's the deal? Are some really that much better than others???

I was going to get some new flash hiders for my ARs, when I started looking around. A SOCOM three prong for $129 bucks?? A Knights Armament for 159??? For a flash hider???? Are these really that awesome? or are they just overpriced Mall Ninja crap?

I have classic birdcage flash hiders and I wanted to spruce up some of my M4s.

Anyone have an opinion on flash hiders? And what they recommend as a worthwhile investment?

Thanks.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtVB4IubWyc part 1 Yankee Hill Machine's Phantom flash suppressor for about $39 bucks came off as best in flash reduction. http://yhm.net/phantom-5-56mm-flash-hider.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Z9R3-Jq2I part 2 Surfire brand of flash suppressor was shown as the best in flash signature in this 2nd part.

Just keep watching and part 3 and 4 will start auto playing.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-26-2015 at 05:54 AM.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

This was a while ago, but I once read a piece highlighting the results of a test/review involving multiple flash suppressors. I remember that the basic A2 birdcage and the Phantom came out on top as the best-performing all-around flash suppressors. The test excluded muzzle brakes and compensators. With that said, I've always thought highly of Phantom flash suppressors between price and performance.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Here is the phantom for $16.99: http://www.cncwarrior.com/Phantom-FH...28-p/21638.htm

I use this flash hider on my ARs and AKs.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I've wanted to grab one of these for one of my AR's, but I'll admit, looks was a factor.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...28&groupid=579
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

I also like the six-slot Phantom, but to be honest it doesn't come close to taming the fireball from this sucker:

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

One of the gun channels on Youtube just did a test with a bunch of 'em a couple of months ago...but I cannot remember who.

It was done really well with video comparisons from the shooter's perspective (the back), from the side and from the targets perspective (the front).
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I also like the six-slot Phantom, but to be honest it doesn't come close to taming the fireball from this sucker:
    What about the classic AK74 style muzzle brake? I think those work really well at least on AK firearms.

I can't seem to find the vid on Youtube at all. It must have been posted on another site.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    What about the classic AK74 style muzzle brake? I think those work really well at least on AK firearms.
    They work decent enough as a muzzle break. There are better out there now though.

But on my guns I'm trying to reduce the blast, not increase it.

Another thing to consider is that, by having a flash hider on the front, the barrel is protected should the gun be dropped. The dirt/mud will only jam the flash hider and not the barrel. It also protects the crown of the gun and, if you are lucky enough to be in a state that allows supressors, it protects the threads for them.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”