Thread: Meet the Colt Modular Carbine (CMC) Model CM901

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 gewehr44's Avatar

Meet the Colt Modular Carbine (CMC) Model CM901

Defense Review has an exclusive on Colt's new multi-caliber carbine. They're pretty hot & bothered about it.

http://www.defensereview.com/dr-excl...ry-forces-gif/

Whelp... can't say as I like the look of it but function and looks don't always go together. Seems to not be much of an improvement of the standard AR type rifles other than the caliber change. I have never been a big fan of the idea of "easy caliber change" platforms so I am a bit skeptical.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

From what I saw on video, I like it.

Rage

Looks to me to basicly just be a full auto AR-10.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

I'm all for new entry into the battle rifle market. Competition means things get better and cheaper. I'm sure Colt was feeling left out watching KAC, LMT and FN getting nice military contracts for .308 battle rifles.

In theory the CMC seems like a cool idea. In practice I'm not sure.

A quick trip to the scale tells me a no-frills complete AR lower weighs 2.5 lbs. The Colt CM901 with a 16" barrel weighs in about a pound heavier than the SCAR 17 also sporting a 16" barrel. So for a one and a half pound difference you can have one gun and two uppers or you can have two fully functioning guns.

Otherwise it looks to be on par with the KAC and LMT guns, I just don't picture many people running it with the .223 upper regularly instead of a traditional AR and I don't see somone using it in .308 carring around an entire spare upper, mags and ammo for it.

I'm glad they chose to go with the KAC pattern mags.

I guess it'd be a great gun to get if you were looking to ban-proof your collection.