Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Works Like it Did

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Still Works Like it Did

Dam, I haven't used a safety razor in about 50 years....got tired of over priced new age blades.So, I bought a SR. Finished up with only one minor nick. Also, I gotta remember that I have a few more wrinkles n folds that I didn't have then! Not bad for an ancient relic...(me)
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Morris; 04-01-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I still use one of those newfangled, 3-blade razors. The only change I've made, recently, is to switch to Shave Secret. That stuff works great.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have used a double edged razor my entire life. The blades are getting harder to find, but I see no reason to change until I can't find the doubles any longer.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    Dam, I haven't used a safety razor in about 50 years....got tired of over priced new age blades.So, I bought a SR. Finished up with only one minor nick. Also, I gotta remember that I have a few more wrinkles n folds that I didn't have then! Not bad for an ancient relic...(me)
    Dan
    I switched back to safety razors about 3 years ago. I got tired of paying $3 or $4 a blade.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I have used a double edged razor my entire life. The blades are getting harder to find, but I see no reason to change until I can't find the doubles any longer.
    My WalMart has them.

Switched to double edged safety razors a couple years ago and never looked back. Way better shave than the new razors with the blades costing a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    This is where I order my blades from. Awesome selection of razors, blades, and shave accessories.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    Dan
    That's kind of funny, My wife and I were just in walmart last saturday looking for one. I commented to her I'm sick of these disposables that last 3 shaves. I want a razor like my dad had with the two sided thin blades! Couldn't find
    one of course at wallyworld.

My wife bought me a razor for Dollar shave club, you have seen the commercials on TV.
    The handle is well made, durable, and has some heft to it, and the razors come in double or triple and are affordable, WAY affordable.

BISHOP

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Bought a safety razor 3 years ago and I think I will be sticking with it for a while to come. I bought a bulk 50 pack of feather brand double sided blades 18 months ago for around $15 and I'm not even half way through them yet. That and a can of Barbasol give me a great shave everyday.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Did the same thing here. Safety razor all the way. Blades are like 10 cents each (amazon) and don't clog up like the damn expensive 3 bladed thingys.
    In the poker game of life, a gun in the hand, Beats a cop on the phone.

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    That's kind of funny, My wife and I were just in walmart last saturday looking for one. I commented to her I'm sick of these disposables that last 3 shaves. I want a razor like my dad had with the two sided thin blades! Couldn't find
    one of course at wallyworld.
    I don't think they have the safety razors at Wally World, just the blades. I got my razor from the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I don't think they have the safety razors at Wally World, just the blades. I got my razor from the net.
    if wally world has one, its gonna be a shitty Chinese one touch micro. piss poor quality. Get one online, and be done with it. Much better stuff to be had than wally world. Blades, same thing. dull as hell, pull like nobodys business. Get Feathers, or Voshkod blades and don't look back
    In the poker game of life, a gun in the hand, Beats a cop on the phone.

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Given the title of this post I thought you were going to talk about your Mr. Wiggly.

Try an old school straight razor sometime
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    Try an old school straight razor sometime
    LOL, I've got one that late great uncle used in WW1.....I'm a gutsy sob....not that gutsy!!!! Said he got it from a German that had no further use for it........
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Morris; 04-03-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

bought my first double edge razor NIB in 1996 while i was in high school. Still use a double edge. I try the new fancy shit when it comes free in the mail every so often but never paid money for anything but double edge or schick injector blades. Which by the way schtick injector is fantastic as well if you can come across one of those. The blades are still redly available.

A place to look is antique shops. If you can score a 1950's or 60's gillette double edge then you are in business. They usually sell for under ten bux in the antique shops but go for $40 on ebay. Just clean it with scrubbing bubbles really well and it will be good to go.
    Last edited by rci2950; 04-03-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I just picked up a cheapie safety razor to see if I'd like it. It was a lot easier to use than I thought it would be. Pretty much works just like the fancy 5 blade razors. Quality of the shave is pretty good. I still have a little rough patch on each side under my chin but I always have a hard time getting it close in that area. Irritation is not bad. I had 3 or 4 days of growth and the pull on the hairs during shaving wasn't bad, probably not as bad as a mach 3. I have never bought into the whole, more blades is better thing, so I think I will stick with the safety razor for a while. If it like it I might get a nicer one.

I did find the handle to be a lot shorter than I expected, is this normal? It didn't seen to hinder shaving.

They are a little shorter than I remember....works fine though. Had a original Gillette and during a visit to a horse ranch south of Vegas in 68, it and a AWOL bag disappeared!
    Dan

there are different versions with different length handles. As for the cheap ones, you get what you pay for. The comfort and quality of the shave is very noticeably better in the higher end razors. The cheap ones, especially the one target carries is a Wishi. Made in china piece of poo that is far too mild to really get a good experience.

That's the one I got, the Target one. I got it to see if I like it. If I stick with it for a while I'll get a Merkur. They still aren't very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    That's the one I got, the Target one. I got it to see if I like it. If I stick with it for a while I'll get a Merkur. They still aren't very expensive.

I have a couple merkur. The open comb one is absolutely fantastic.

Here is a picture of part of my horde. I still haven't put a dent in the number of blades. A little searching on Ebay and you will find some real deals.

The razors at 4 and 5 o'clock are Merkur open comb The shorter one is a copy of the original Gillette. Its called the Merkur 1904 (because of the year of the original). It is a nice balanced razor.

[/url]
    Last edited by rci2950; 04-12-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast