Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So the H&K G36 sucks in hot temperatures? According to the German Military? huh?

So the H&K G36 sucks in hot temperatures? According to the German Military? huh?

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Sec...4311427902465/

BERLIN, April 1 (UPI) -- The capabilities of the Heckler and Koch assault rifle used by the German military are under review after reports of accuracy problems.

The German Ministry of Defense convened a military leadership council recently to obtain a rapid military technical assessment of a preliminary report on the G36 rifle, which has been in service with the German military since 1996, Minister of Defense Ursula von der Leyen said last Sunday.

Additional procurements of the rifle were suspended by the ministry last summer as a precautionary measure.

During Germany's participation in the international mission in Afghanistan there were reports to the ministry that the G36 lacked accuracy in high temperatures.

Please send ME some samples for review. I'll put them through vigorous 'testing' and I'll be happy to give the German Government my findings

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I've been hearing about this problem for a while. Some folks say the accuracy becomes horrible after moderate to heavy fire while others say that's only a myth. It will be interesting to see what solution they come up with.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

My guess was that it was due to skinny barrels getting hot faster in warm climates than they do in Germany.

However:
    First results reported in February 2014 showed that it was not the weapon itself but individual ammunition batches that were responsible.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    It will be interesting to see what solution they come up with.

+

=

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    If they sold G36s to those of us in the land of right to keep and bear arms at realistic prices they would very quickly get feedback on how to fix their problem. Unfortunately the company of "No Compromise" won't compromise and make military style rifles to us non-uniformed civilians.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

My take on it ... Fuck HK!

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post

+

=

That is far, far too simple for Germans.

They will have a high tech forged titaniam water jacket with progressively shaped cooling fins EDM'ed on the outside. The cooling lines will be kevlar re-enforced high pressure hoses with quick disconnect fittings even thought the system will operate at only 30 psi. The coolant will circulate to a radiator on the soldiers backpack with a series of electric fans that switch on alternately depending on the required cooling load. The pump will be an ultralight silent pump designed specifically for this application and available from only one supplier. The coolant will be a proprietary glycol compound that costs $500/liter. The system will be solar powered and have lithium polymer batteries to power it at night with a backup nickle cadmium battery for ultra reliability. The whole thing will be computer controlled running custom software and have full diagnostics capabilities. Over 200 thermocouples, and pressure sensors will be used to monitor performance and provide feedback to a central computer for future revisions. The system will weigh 80 lbs and cost $30,000 but will be worth it because it offers a 5% efficiency gain over the base air cooled rifle.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

It's the thin barrels and ambient air temp makes no difference. Whether it's 95F or 25F, if you rip off two mags quickly the barrel's going to be really hot!

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post

They will have a high tech forged titaniam water jacket with progressively shaped cooling fins EDM'ed on the outside. The cooling lines will be kevlar re-enforced high pressure hoses with quick disconnect fittings even thought the system will operate at only 30 psi. The coolant will circulate to a radiator on the soldiers backpack with a series of electric fans that switch on alternately depending on the required cooling load. The pump will be an ultralight silent pump designed specifically for this application and available from only one supplier. The coolant will be a proprietary glycol compound that costs $500/liter. The system will be solar powered and have lithium polymer batteries to power it at night with a backup nickle cadmium battery for ultra reliability. The whole thing will be computer controlled running custom software and have full diagnostics capabilities. Over 200 thermocouples, and pressure sensors will be used to monitor performance and provide feedback to a central computer for future revisions. The system will weigh 80 lbs and cost $30,000 but will be worth it because it offers a 5% efficiency gain over the base air cooled rifle.
    really? WOW!! that's cool.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Very true. German engineering in a nutshell: Design it to be overly-complicated while retaining high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    really? WOW!! that's cool.
    I should have used purple!

This was meant as a tounge in cheek comment. Germans love to make shit complicated to the point where a normal person would go "WTF?" An American would make the barrel thicker and tell the soldier to do more PT. A German would put 40 engineers on it, do a complicated multi year study, develop sophisticated computer simulations to prove what they already know and then develop something as I described that is marginally better than what they had to begin with but 100x more expensive.

No, I don't own a BMW and what I described above is the reason why.

The more one hears about long range rifle shooting in Afghanistan the more ridiculous a rifle like the G-36 appears to be IMHO. The sights seem to be so high above the bore on the G-36 I don't see how this rifle can be considered accurate when cold. It would seem that the Germans would be better off with H&K G3s.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    The more one hears about long range rifle shooting in Afghanistan the more ridiculous a rifle like the G-36 appears to be IMHO. The sights seem to be so high above the bore on the G-36 I don't see how this rifle can be considered accurate when cold. It would seem that the Germans would be better off with H&K G3s.
    Oh they definitely would be better off with the G3 as it is 7.62 NATO which definitely hits harder and has longer legs than 5.56.

Lol. You must work with Germans too.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    I've been hearing about this problem for a while. Some folks say the accuracy becomes horrible after moderate to heavy fire while others say that's only a myth. It will be interesting to see what solution they come up with.

Sounds like the barrel warps at high temperatures. That's something that proper heat-treating and careful post-machining could easily solve.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    My take on it ... Fuck HK!
    Agreed. And FN too.

...and the LiPo battery packs will double as grenades. A temperature sensor will monitor each pack and when one starts to thermally run away, it will beep, alerting the soldier to throw it towards the enemy. The results will be devastating.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Agreed. And FN too.
    Why FN?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

The G36 has always had problems.....this is nothing new...
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Germany's Heckler & Koch goes to court over alleged gun faults

http://news.yahoo.com/germanys-heckl...QDBHNlYwNzcg--

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast