Thread: Decided to buid an UZI

Decided to buid an UZI

After seeing that the Semi Thompson that I really want was going to cost me more than I want to spend for the time being, I decided to go with a UZI.
    I have been looking into it for a few months now and think I have found everything I need to make something that most people don't have.

Yes its an outdated design and unnecessary since I already have a 9mm AR that takes UZI mags, but I want one, SO THERE!

I have found a place that sells complete Machinegun spec semi auto receivers (yes FFL necessary). What I like about these is that they take unmodified barrels, so I can buy surplus barrels and not special semi barrels.
    They are also already parkerized.
    The downside is that they are more than double in price than another company that sells complete receivers but theirs are not parkerized (come in the white and some are rusted) and can only take semi auto barrels.

I am going to build it as a pistol so I can have the 10" barrel for authenticity. I can later add a 16" barrel and place a folding stock on it.
    I also want a wooded QD stock that everybody says that you can't have because the gun without a stock is less than 26" long. I have figured it out that if I thread and weld or pin on a compensator to the 16" barrel that I can make the gun 26" or longer and then I can have the original removable wooden stock for good looks.

When its in pistol configuration I will have a threaded-in sling mount so that a stock cannot be readily added to the pistol without tools.

I figure the complete gun will run me about $1300, but will be very much different from every other semi UZI out there..... Internally.

BISHOP

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I personally would go the extra mile and SBR it, but that's just me.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Surplus barrels, well the Uzi has a 10.5" barrel so to use one you will need the SBR paper. I have a Group Industries semi-Uzi. There is some welding on an Uzi. Can you MIG weld? The feed ramp is welded to the receiver.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-05-2015 at 06:17 AM.

I'm going the 100% receiver so no welding is necessary.
    Just assembly.
    The receiver I plan on getting is machinegun spec, but semi auto. I can us the original barrels with no modifications because it has a SMG feed ramp not a semi auto one. I am going to build it as a pistol so I can use the 10.5" barrel. I meant to say that but typed in 10".

BISHOP

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I see. Well not much of a challenge to assemble one if the receiver is done. It is all plug and play (pins) that hold the lower to the upper (receiver). You know it is going to way about 8 lbs. right? Your AR is probably lighter.

I don't have a welder nor any friends with welders. If I did I would be doing the whole thing myself. Instead I am just going to assemble like building an AR.

Yes I know its a heavy Mother Fudger. I want it for the historical part. I also plan on getting the Hebrew markings on the trigger pack not the German or English.

The only real work I have to do is weld (or other) the selector block in place so the selector doesn't go into the auto position.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 04-05-2015 at 07:05 AM.