Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many rounds does it take to kill an M16.

Yes he should go buy a lottery ticket. We did that kind of testing but under a heavy Lexan shield and gunner wearing heavy steel mesh gloves with long cuffs life welders gloves and body armor.

Catastrophic barrel failures have cost fingers, hands and one arm I remember.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yes, the guy was taking a totally unnecessary risk - should've had better protection for sure!

Bottom line: Our semi-auto AR's are GTG for any social use we will ever put them through.

Ditto for our SA AK's.

And really, if you were firing burst, it would most likely have rocked on. Not to mention that he as using crappy ammo. I refuse to shoot rusky steel cased in my AR's.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I had the gas cylinder on an M60 pop on me and I banana'd a garand barrel too... the crazy 1919 50's yugo 8mm stuff dont count.

That was enough "experience" for one lifetime.

crap these guys do for yute tube popularity is going to cost them eventually.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

If he makes this a habit maybe he could list me as a survivor on his insurance.
    Last edited by Hummer; 02-04-2016 at 02:27 PM.

it continues...

like covering yourself in gas and playing with lit sparklers, maybe something will happen.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I would like to know how many shots if it was a normal rate of fire. Not just shooting it till it melts and bursts. But what sort of life expectancy before it fails or is so inaccurate that it is no longer minute of deer.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    I would like to know how many shots if it was a normal rate of fire. Not just shooting it till it melts and bursts. But what sort of life expectancy before it fails or is so inaccurate that it is no longer minute of deer.
    From stuff I've read about US testing the M16 is good on a practical accuray level for 50,000 rounds. If (IMO) the weapon is not fired enough to get it very hot the barrels will last a lot longer. As they get very hot they expand and the bore I.D. gets larger. This causes a loss of seal between the bullet and the bore so powder gas starts shooting past the bullet. Think blow torch and how they can cut steel.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-15-2016 at 06:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12