Thread: MSM's latest criticism of police action: Marana Arizona cop hits armed robber with his cruiser (dash cam video)

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

MSM's latest criticism of police action: Marana Arizona cop hits armed robber with his cruiser (dash cam video)

A male conducts an armed robbery, attempts to burn down a church, burglarizes a home, steals a car, and steals a rifle from Wal-Mart - all in the same morning. Police with the Marana, AZ PD locate the suspect walking alongside a road. When they approach, he fires the stolen rifle into the air. One officer takes swift action by ramming the suspect with his cruiser, avoiding a possible stand-off or a shoot-out. The suspect was not killed. The news media is claiming police brutality. I see it as a logical way to end a situation that could have ended up being a lot worse.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/14/us/ari...ect/index.html

"Everything in the video seems to point towards an obvious excessive use of force. It is miraculous that my client isn't dead," said attorney Michelle Cohen-Metzger.
    How was that excessive force? The minute an armed suspect refuses to drop a deadly weapon and then actually uses it on top of that, deadly force is justified. Am I missing something? Is there something on the force continuum higher than deadly force? It looks like to me like a potentially deadly weapon (firearm) was neutralized with another potentially deadly weapon (car). These two objects are on the same rung of the force continuum when used as weapons. Suspect was injured, no police or innocent by-standers were hurt, and the situation was diffused. Looks good to me.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Whoa!

I was anticipating the first, slower moving cruiser to hit the guy.

Seeing as this punk was on a one man crime rampage he's lucky they didn't just take him out with a rifle.
    Returns June 3rd.

I don't see how this is excessive force. The guy was showing what he was capable of by shooting the gun off in the air. Anyone who would do that, in my opinion, has no regard for anyone's safety. What if his only intention was to delay the cops long enough to get into one of those houses. Now you have a stand off with hostages involved. I am interested to see how this one plays out, what with the one cop telling the others to stand down because the gun is loaded. Could they (bad guy's lawyers) use that against the cop? Maybe something about how he didn't follow the commands of a fellow officer? I understand the one cop was concerned that he had a loaded gun and didn't want to risk any of his guys to get killed, shot, or taken hostage but come on. I totally believe the one officer made the right call. Neutralize the threat before any one else get pulled into it.

Some one should get that officer a Benihana gift certificate or something.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Integratedj View Post
    Some one should get that officer a Benihana gift certificate or something.
    Hell, Golden Corral. All-you-can-eat steak.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Hell, Golden Corral. All-you-can-eat steak.
    I actually thought about that but the problem is, Marana is fucking Hot already. This officer doesn't need a bad case of the Meat Sweats now does he?

OMG I can't fucking help it. I just keep re watching and going into giggle fits. Fucker did a double off the hood I think.
    Nothing like a shit head going ass over tea kettle.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

If the officer was not shot and killed or at least critically injured it was excessive force.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    If the officer was not shot and killed or at least critically injured it was excessive force.
    No, its called protecting the public from an out of control asshole. Like I said; he's lucky they didn't take him out with a head shot.
    Returns June 3rd.

PURPLE man. Remember to use the damned PURPLE...

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    No, its called protecting the public from an out of control asshole. Like I said; he's lucky they didn't take him out with a head shot.
    Sorry, should have used purple. Seems like a lot of our population believes that, though. There was an officer shot in Boston recently during a traffic stop. The officer, with his weapon holstered, talked to the shooter, had him get out of the car and the shooter opened the door, stood up and shot the cop in the face. Other officers on scene then killed the shooter. The questions from the public to the Police Chief were, "did your officers have to kill him?" "why didn't they try a tazer first?", "do your officers always choose shooting a suspect as the first course of action?". Almost made me vomit. The Chief's answer was repeated a couple of times, "you heard he shot a police officer in the face, right?"
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

That one is almost as good as the viddy of Dude getting run over by a ice cream truck.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

That's it. I'm becoming a cop.

Sorry, should have used purple. Seems like a lot of our population believes that, though. There was an officer shot in Boston recently during a traffic stop. The officer, with his weapon holstered, talked to the shooter, had him get out of the car and the shooter opened the door, stood up and shot the cop in the face. Other officers on scene then killed the shooter. The questions from the public to the Police Chief were, "did your officers have to kill him?" "why didn't they try a tazer first?", "do your officers always choose shooting a suspect as the first course of action?". Almost made me vomit. The Chief's answer was repeated a couple of times, "you heard he shot a police officer in the face, right?"
    Gottcha.
    Returns June 3rd.

I saw this on another forum. The comments were hilarious. One guy said this definitely ends the 9mm v .45 debate. Slow and big is more effective than small and fast...lmao. But kidding aside I think this is preferable to a running gun battle in the street. This tactic pretty much ended all the bullshit post haste.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    I saw this on another forum. The comments were hilarious. One guy said this definitely ends the 9mm v .45 debate. Slow and big is more effective than small and fast...lmao. But kidding aside I think this is preferable to a running gun battle in the street. This tactic pretty much ended all the bullshit post haste.
    True enough. And uh, .45acp rules!
    Returns June 3rd.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Ahhh ... that works for me. No issues here.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    You could also bring up the argument of which is the best cop car to use in this situation, the standard ford crown victoria or the chevy tahoe that many police forces are using now, i would choose the tahoe, better chance of the perp being completely ran over than merely being thrown over the hood.

On the other hand a few rounds of 9mm would have been less costly than the repairs to the crown vic