Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PEX pipe problems?

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Swampy - can't help you about the PEX, just info. Several years ago, I heard that Florida had actually banned the use of copper as the pipes were corroding so badly that pinhole leaks were causing all kinds of house damage and water loss. This happened because the treated water was now so clean that the copper pipes were no longer getting the thin film of organic coating (don't remember if it was algae or bacteria) which had actually been protecting the pipes from corrosion. Florida mandated the use of C-PVC and it is what a lot of places are using today. Being stiff pipes however, it is prone to breakage if they freeze with water in them.
    Healthwise, I don't know of any problems with either C-PVC or PEX.
    Good luck!
    Related story- I had to get new pipes because the original plumbing used cheap fittings with high zinc content. The water supply around here comes from Lake Mead which is full of alkalai minerals. Well, zinc is acidic and alkalies are bases so you do the math...

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matshock View Post
    Related story- I had to get new pipes because the original plumbing used cheap fittings with high zinc content. The water supply around here comes from Lake Mead which is full of alkalai minerals. Well, zinc is acidic and alkalies are bases so you do the math...
    ok..............uhhhh.............ummmmmmmmmmm.... ....

wait a minute, thats not math, thats chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    The copper in NC near Bragg never froze and never blew up either.
    However, the temps never went as low as it does here in the Midwest.
    True, I lived there for about 12 years. The winters are usually mild; snow covers your roof and melts by the afternoon.. (Excluding the blizzard of 2000) LOL

One thing about living there; if you aren't used to stores and roads being filled with Military uniforms you'll soon get over it.

But I only want to do the new plumbing once, and right, and be done with it.
    Because you're willing to invest the time to learn how to do it right; you'll be done with it.

1) failing to evaluate reports of widespread failures of PEX and PEX fittings that have resulted in class action lawsuits in Washington, Nevada, Minnesota, Colorado and numerous other areas across the United States;
    IMO, that sounds as if it is one of two things; a design flaw or a real shitty installation. The way "PEX fittings" rated being included I am leaning towards poor workmanship.

As a side note, water quality seems to affect all 3 types of pipes anyways from what you guys are saying?
    That has been my experience.

Your looking too far into this. I don't think anyone in the US is having issues with their plumbing due to a difference between copper, pex and pvc.

I'd use what your most comfortable with.
    Attitudes change quick when dicks are involved and faces are pushed into pillows.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Estimated useful life when used for radiant heating is estimated to be 50 years, for your everyday plumbing needs, running the dishwasher, filling the bath tub making ice cubes, washing your hands expect a 200 year life span. The chemicals coming out of the pipes may be a concern to somebody 30 years from now who are young and expect to be drinking gallons of water every day from those pipes for 60 years. In the meantime you get most of your poisons from the liquor store and breathing in gun smoke. Over thinking the problem. I like copper because I worked with it for 40 years but I have never had to replace a plastic pipe unless I broke it, (don't ask). Wish I had a dollar for every foot of iron pipe I have had to replace.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Estimated useful life when used for radiant heating is estimated to be 50 years, for your everyday plumbing needs, running the dishwasher, filling the bath tub making ice cubes, washing your hands expect a 200 year life span. The chemicals coming out of the pipes may be a concern to somebody 30 years from now who are young and expect to be drinking gallons of water every day from those pipes for 60 years. In the meantime you get most of your poisons from the liquor store and breathing in gun smoke. Over thinking the problem. I like copper because I worked with it for 40 years but I have never had to replace a plastic pipe unless I broke it, (don't ask). Wish I had a dollar for every foot of iron pipe I have had to replace.
    I'm familiar with copper and PVC as I have had to repair both.

PVC is easier in the sense that you just cut out the bad section and glue in a new one.
    It's super fast and easy.
    The down side of PVC is that when it blows, it can split for several feet.
    If it's inside a wall, it's a total PITA pulling out several feet of pipe.

Copper is harder to work with since you have to torch and solder everything.
    On the other hand, I've only seen pin-hole leaks in copper.
    Not a several feet long split.

if you are worried about contamination from your house plumbing, dont, I would be more concerned about the supply lines coming into your property, as you have NO CONTROL over the material that is used. The last few feet of pipe isnt going to add a significant amount of problems to the water. If you are more concerned about serviceability, then go with the most convenient for your area. Sounds like either PEX or copper would be the way to go
    In the poker game of life, a gun in the hand, Beats a cop on the phone.

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Copper is likely only second to Stainless or glass (and yes they make Pyrex pipe; think $$$). Copper is effected heavily by sulfur and sulfur compounds and to a lessor extent by electrolysis and very soft water.

If you are worried about soulder use compression fittings and roll copper tubing; for the do-it-yourself crowd that may not be good at sweating souldered connections they are easier anyway. Plus they are rated for even higher pressures.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I'm familiar with copper and PVC as I have had to repair both.

PVC is easier in the sense that you just cut out the bad section and glue in a new one.
    It's super fast and easy.
    The down side of PVC is that when it blows, it can split for several feet.
    If it's inside a wall, it's a total PITA pulling out several feet of pipe.

Copper is harder to work with since you have to torch and solder everything.
    On the other hand, I've only seen pin-hole leaks in copper.
    Not a several feet long split.
    You need to figure out and fix the real problem, which is freezing pipes. I've not had an issue with a frozen pipe ever and I live in the same climate you do. If it was me I'd fix that issue before I worried about what I used for plumbing lines.
    Returns June 3rd.

Exclamation Heat tape on "plastic" pipes

Swampy - have you ever seen that gray "plastic" pipe they use in mobile homes? The ones with the "clamp-type" closures at fittings? I had plastic pipe like that in the walls and underneath my mobile home where it connected to the copper coming out of the ground. I used the flat yellow heat tape on that gray plastic pipe, starting in the ground about 12" down inside a clay tile where the copper was coming up. As that was on copper and outside the skirting, I wrapped that at 3 turns per linear foot, around the shut-off valve, then in through the skirting on the gray pipes. I reduced the tape to 2 turns per foot until it went up to the water heater. I also had fiberglass wrap and tape on all the pipe to help keep the heat in the pipes. Never had it melt any of the pipes and this was in Illinois near St. Louis.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Swampy there are new fittings in the copper world that do not need to be soldered and will hold, if I remember correctly, 300 psi of pressure. I was at Home Depot
    when I saw these fittings. Copper is the best way to go.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

I'd go with copper. No-lead solder is available if you have any worries about lead.

Copper pipes in a crawl space can be kept from freezing by putting an electric outlet with a 100 watt bulb in the area near the lines.

My folks place has only a crawl space and a light bulb has provided the anti-freeze for their plumbing for about 40 years. No freeze-ups so far.

The longest run of line is about 17'. If you are looking at lines that go from one end of the house to the other, you may have to use more than one light, but good insulation of the crawl space and no prolonged loss of power have done the job for them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12