Thread: Scope recommendations for a PTR-91

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Scope recommendations for a PTR-91

Looking for a scope for my PTR-91, its been sitting idle far to long for lack of glass. I'm not looking for a necessarily long range gun, I would like to keep it to a MBR type role so up close and personal out to 500 yards. I am thinking a 1-4x or 1x6x scope, looking at SWFA and leupold. I have been out of the civilian scope game for a while and see a lot of new names I am unfamiliar with. I would like to keep it in the sub $500 range.

Plan on keeping the gun stock, with a grip pod bipod and low profile scope mount
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'd check out the primary arms prism scopes (acog style) or the 1-6x.

I'm sure there is better out there for more money, but these have been what I've been looking at in my price range.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...p/paps1-6x.htm
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...pe_p/pac5x.htm
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_.../pac4xadb3.htm
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_2_5X_Compact_Scope_PAC2_5X_p/pac2.5x.htm

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

I like that 1-6x, especially the built in bdc.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've got a surplus military G3 scope from Germany. Paid too much for it, don't have a rifle to fit it to anymore. Looks like this setup. Have the case and the little tool pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I've got a surplus military G3 scope from Germany. Paid too much for it, don't have a rifle to fit it to anymore. Looks like this setup. Have the case and the little tool pouch.

This.

Very good glass and designed for the gun.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post

I'd like to put one of those on my CETME but it's the cast stainless receiver which doesn't flex like the sheetmetal receivers. I'd have to either file on the mount of the pads on the receiver to get it to work.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I have one of these and love it. You can find a better price if you shop around.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Scope...e-118p2805.htm

B&T makes extended rails as well that are very nice too.

Good vid on affordable optics

Last edited by Partisan1983; 04-24-2015 at 03:44 PM.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I'd like to put one of those on my CETME but it's the cast stainless receiver which doesn't flex like the sheetmetal receivers. I'd have to either file on the mount of the pads on the receiver to get it to work.
    I'd hate to modify an original scope to make it fit on a bastard rifle.

I might go aftermarket on the CETME and save the collectible scope options for an original HK or a PTR (made on HK tooling).
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I'd hate to modify an original scope to make it fit on a bastard rifle.

I might go aftermarket on the CETME and save the collectible scope options for an original HK or a PTR (made on HK tooling).
    I believe I started a thread a while back about options for scoping my CETME and IIRC the options were either spendy or cheap but iffy as far as holding firm under recoil. If I had the option I'd mod the receiver before I'd mess up a collectible mount. I'll see if I can dig up that thread and see if there are any new options or maybe prices have dropped on the more costly ones.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Oddly enough I did put it on a CETME at one time. Seemed to work fine on it but that was the sheet metal CETME, not the cast receiver version. Oh and the one I have has an illumination module that uses 1 AA battery. It does give useable light on the post, but only after sunset when the dark comes out.