Thread: Found a new place to hike.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Found a new place to hike.

Pretty cool spot and close to home. I'm surprised I didn't know about it until recently. Its about 12 miles from here just outside Folk MO.

Its called Painted Rock Conservation Area. Its on the bluffs of the Osage River. Lots of cool stuff, an Indian burial cairn (Probably Osage) great views of the river and several streams and springs.

Returns June 3rd.

Great way to stay active. Looks pretty.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Very beautiful country. What's the story on Bloody Island ?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Nice, I spend a week or two a year on a trail or two. Gonna try to do the Linville Gorge this fall.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Beautiful country.....tell us more about the mound......I grew up in Texas, spent a lot of time around Fort Phantom....
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Very beautiful country. What's the story on Bloody Island ?
    I don't know yet, Dave. I need to look into it.

Indian mounds and cairns are everywhere here along the rivers. I've been told by guys who farm along the remote parts of these rivers that there are several Indian sites that are largely known only to the locals. There's so many of them that MU and the like has only looked into a fraction of them.

As I understand it on the face of the bluffs at this location there used to be a large petroglyph of a buffalo. It's earliest written mention was recorded by Zebulon Pike in the early 19th century. It was believed to have been quite old when Pike wrote about in his journals. Sadly it's gone now, victim of erosion over time. It was this petroglyph that gives the area it's name.
    Returns June 3rd.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Looks very nice. So why is the Island Bloody?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Looks very nice. So why is the Island Bloody?
    "Many stories and legends describe the area. In some cases, it's hard to tell the difference between fact and fiction. The most repeated story is about buried treasure on or near the area, but the story has several versions. One is that an army payroll was buried on the island during the Civil War. Another story, from the book _Stories from Painted Rock Bluff,_ describes the adventures of a young Spaniard, who, in order to marry his sweetheart in St. Louis, went west to make his fortune and did. His party was returning, loaded with gold, when they encountered Indian trouble while camped at the junction of the Osage and Maries rivers. They fled up the Osage by canoe. Shortly after passing a bluff with many paintings on it, the party pulled into the river bank and hid the gold and themselves. Later, leaving the gold, they made a dash down the Osage to the Missouri River. However, all were killed or fatally injured. One Indian guide lived long enough to pass on the directions to the treasure. Using these directions, many have searched unsuccessfully over the years, apparently even before the story was published."

This quote is from "Osage Bluff Scenic Trail: Painted Rock Conservation Area" (Jefferson City: Missouri Department of Conservation, n.d.).
    Returns June 3rd.

El Jefe, come down my way sometime (southern MO) and explore the Mark Twain, great hiking & clean springs/rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by rktman View Post
    El Jefe, come down my way sometime (southern MO) and explore the Mark Twain, great hiking & clean springs/rivers.
    Are you talking about the national forest? There's a couple of the spring locations I've been to in that. But you're right, its a great part of the state. Kinda hard not to like the Ozarks.
    Returns June 3rd.

Yep, national forest. Very good hiking in Eleven Point and Current River Watersheds.

Quote Originally Posted by rktman View Post
    Yep, national forest. Very good hiking in Eleven Point and Current River Watersheds.
    I'll remember that.

We hiked Clark's Hill this morning, but I haven't downloaded pics yet. Its on the bluffs above the Missouri River.
    Returns June 3rd.

How many miles on the hiking trails?

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    How many miles on the hiking trails?
    Not many. yesterday was just shy of 5, today was probably less than three. Now, when I do the loop through Viola, that's over 7 miles. Theres a trail through Marion Bottoms that's around 9 miles. The wife won't do that one and I only do it in the fall. I usually will take my beagle and pack us a lunch.
    Returns June 3rd.

Clark's Hill.

State historical site on the Missouri River bluffs on the south bank. This spot has a nice hiking trail that's about a mile long not counting side trails and such.

It has two points of interest: it is a documented camp site of the Lewis & Clark expedition and there are 5 Indian burial mounds here. Lewis & Clark camped at the base of this particular bluff for three days. This is the point where the Osage River and the Missouri meet. The channels are different now, but its easy to see how the two rivers carved this bluff in a V shape much like a ships bow. The bluff is about 100' above the river.

Returns June 3rd.

......looks great !
    Nothing but the finest weapon construction and parts used !