Thread: Here is a kit for reloading .22 LR

Here is a kit for reloading .22 LR

Just heard about it on Cam&Co.(NRA news) and it was said it is not rocket science.
    Sounds interesting.

http://22lrreloader.com/

How to video.

http://22lrreloader.com/video/
    Last edited by l921428x; 04-21-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Damn. That looks neat. As soon as I get a few bucks together, I'm going to order one and see how well it works.

Thanks for finding and posting this.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

How many little cap gun dots do you have to cut and scrape out per round? Also the current filler of those cap gun dots is armstrongs mixture, one of the most sensitive explosives around, I would not do too much at a time, or collect it in any quantity as something as small as a static discharge from your hand will detonate it. While wet it is safe to handle and manipulate but once it dries sunlight can detonate it. It will also react violently to some metals, sudden temperature changes can also detonate it. I think what I am trying to say is I would not do this, or trust it to hold up to any long term storage and not react to either the metal or the power it is contact with. There is a gentleman I know with multiple PHD's and decades in explosives who is missing a good portion of his hand from armstrongs mixture.

The people selling this are just smart enough to be dangerous imho

Had to add this after seeing the match head video.
    Armstrongs mixture (AM) is just red phosphorous and KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate) or KClO3 (Potassium Chlorate), safety matches are KClO3 while the strike plate on the box is red Phosporous, strike anywhere matches are those two ingrediants but they are just butted together with a binder. Crush them, mix them in the right ratios and you get AM. So their little video of using strike anywhere match heads and then talking about how they get such good speed out of so little material, is because the are just adding more AM, and the powder is detonating at high velocity and not burning like smokless powder does.

Last edited by Hatedbysheeple; 04-22-2015 at 04:06 AM.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Why can I only post one video per reply?

Sorry for the wall of videos but anyone contemplating this needs to understand not only how sensitive, but how powerful even a small amount can be, the amounts in the videos are very small but they do plenty of damage to those soda cans.

There are primary explosives that are sensitive enough to work but not so sensitive to be unsafe with careful and knowledgeable handling in small quantities, AM is not one of them.

Last edited by Hatedbysheeple; 04-22-2015 at 04:08 AM.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

i would buy it just because i like friggin around with stuff. .22 is plenty here. Just looks like it would be something interesting to do.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

On my original post I hadn't watched the vids on the manufacturers web site. Caps and the strike anywhere tip of a match are both going to be corrosive. So you'd be making a .22 lr round that will rust the hell out of your weapons. Pyrodex is also extremely corrosive as it has perchlorates in it, the same stuff in mil surplus corrosive primed ammo. All in all you'd be making some very corrosive ammo.

I can see this system being attractive to a "Prepper" and frankly it would take an TEOTWAWKI environment before I'd stoop to that level of desperation. Now if they could come up with some lead azide or lead styphenate, (both are modern noncorrosive primer compounds) in a small applicator for repriming I'd be interested in giving it a try.

To Hatedbysheeple, thanks for the posts that go into the dangers of the phosphorus and potassium chlorate mix. In high school a buddy and myself figured out that mixing these two together made big booms. It didn't even have to be mixed well. Stirring it up with a toothpick could set it off.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-22-2015 at 05:39 AM.