Thread: Ithaca Model 37 Riot/trench guns

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Ithaca Model 37 Riot/trench guns

Always liked the looks and features of the M37, particularly the short barreled versions but have never owned one. Anyone have one they can discuss and or post some photos of? IIRC they make a lightweight version and I've heard those have a pretty good "kick" to them.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

i've owned about 5 of them in various models.

the 'featherweight' with an 18" barrel rocks you pretty good with any load.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

On my want list.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I grew up hunting with Grandpa's 37 Feather Weight... I found one just like it a few years ago and bought it at a show. I hit better with a 37 than any shotgun I've shot before or since including some high ends at the clays range. Don't know why, but it just "fits" me...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I have a M37 12G Featherlight slam fire, 18 1/4" CB bbl, Mag-na-ported, Sun Burst butt pad, Sage International Ghost Ring, Tritium front sight.

The best slug gun for deer hunting. It was found in a lean to garage, receiver is pitted but the bore was fine. I had it re blued, I refinished the stock and used True Oil. I have looked for years for another barrel at fun shows but no luck. I have been thinking about adding a Heat Shield for giggles.

It's actually fun to shoot. No muzzle rise. Before the Mag-na-port and Sunburst Butt Pad it had a kick...So bad a friend would not shoot it twice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shorthair; 04-23-2015 at 05:05 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Never owned or shot one. They bottom eject right?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Yes, load and eject out the bottom. That's one of the features I thought was interesting. I guess in some situations it would be of benefit such as shooting up a against a right side barricade.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    I have a M37 12G Featherlight slam fire, 18 1/4" CB bbl, Mag-na-ported, Sun Burst butt pad, Sage International Ghost Ring, Tritium front sight.

The best slug gun for deer hunting. It was found in a lean to garage, receiver is pitted but the bore was fine. I had it re blued, I refinished the stock and used True Oil. I have looked for years for another barrel at fun shows but no luck. I have been thinking about adding a Heat Shield for giggles.

It's actually fun to shoot. No muzzle rise. Before the Mag-na-port and Sunburst Butt Pad it had a kick...So bad a friend would not shoot it twice.
    That's different looking with those sights. Love the way the wood turned out!
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

It could be called ugly, but I like the look. Because of my trouble seeing regular sights I went to Ghost Ring. It was pitted too bad to make it look pretty So I made it Bad Ass.

The guy owed me ninety bucks...and he had no money. He was glad to retire the debt.
    Last edited by shorthair; 04-23-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You are missing out, out of the Ithaca 37, Remington 870, and mossberg 590, The Ithaca is the most solid and quality feeling pump of the bunch.

and can be slicked up like a cowboy gun.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Aside from its practical uses, its also fun to hold the trigger and pump away on the older models.

Ha Ha