Thread: 2 women located after missing for 2 weeks in U.P. of Michigan

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

2 women located after missing for 2 weeks in U.P. of Michigan

Two sisters, one from Nebraska and the other from Oklahoma, drove up into the rural Upper Peninsula of Michigan to visit family. They got stuck in snow on an unplowed road on the way up and were declared missing for almost two weeks. They survived by staying in the vehicle, bundling up, and eating Girl Scout cookies until a police helicopter spotted their Ford Explorer. Which proves an important point if you're lost and there is a good chance that someone may be searching for you - make the search easier by staying right where you are, especially if you're in a vehicle or near a landmark.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/04/...early-2-weeks/

CRISP POINT, Mich. (AP) – Two sisters from Oklahoma and Nebraska missing for nearly two weeks in Michigan have been found alive in the Upper Peninsula.

State police Sgt. Brent Rosten describes Leslie Roy and Lee Marie Wright as a “little weak” but “alive and well.”

Police say their vehicle became stuck near Crisp Point on Lake Superior, in a remote area of Luce County. There is a lighthouse there. The sisters stayed with the vehicle, which was spotted Friday by a helicopter.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/25...cmp=latestnews

Two sisters from Oklahoma and Nebraska missing for almost two weeks in Michigan were found by state police Friday near Lake Superior in a remote part of the Upper Peninsula.

The women – Leslie Roy, 52, and Lee Marie Wright, 56 – survived on Girl Scout cookies while stuck in their snow-crippled SUV. A pilot noticed a reflection off the Ford Explorer and landed the police helicopter on shore, ending the women’s unexpected wilderness adventure.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

2 weeks is a long time. Good thing they didn't .... toss their cookies.

When I drive any long distance and especially through ANY area with snow or inclement weather possible, I pack a bunch of food. Dried fruits, nuts, bottled water, MREs blankets, everything. I've been stranded during Winter in Utah ONCE, had to stay by the vehicle, though I got towed out the next day. Paranoia pays off if you do get stranded But then I'm also the nut job who packs flare launchers and colored smoke as well lol

Also I hope others heed Skorpion's advice and 'stay put'. Not us though, not necessary. I already figure that the members of THIS board possess situational awareness when it comes to the basics of survival. I was hoping that the lay public would get the hint.

A guy I used to work with, years ago went snow machining with friends up in the UP, going up and down forest roads and trails. Near dark they decided to head home and realized they had no clue where they were. The kept going around in circles and by luck end up on a road they recognized and headed back to the cars and trailers. They were very lucky as they were unprepared, planning in just being out during the da,y and they were just about out of gas when they got back to where they parked.