Thread: Okay, how many of you can do this? (Industrial video about Comm Tower Workers)

Okay, how many of you can do this? (Industrial video about Comm Tower Workers)

Sorry, but I can't even get to a fraction of that height. I think most people on the planet cannot.

only if i was paid $100 a minute and shitfaced.

"Aint no fear of fallin, but I hate it on the ground"
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

my brother in law does it. he changes lightbulbs on those towers for a living
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    my brother in law does it. he changes lightbulbs on those towers for a living
    It's a rare breed. Your brother in law is one of them. I don't know what makes some folks impervious to the fear of heights. What's interesting is that you could fall 30 feet and get killed and yet most folks can at least handle that. But when it's 300 feet or 3000 feet, your panic becomes severe.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yikes!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    It's a rare breed. Your brother in law is one of them. I don't know what makes some folks impervious to the fear of heights. What's interesting is that you could fall 30 feet and get killed and yet most folks can at least handle that. But when it's 300 feet or 3000 feet, your panic becomes severe.
    yea i couldn't do it. He had a hard time when he first started with that job. But he got over it. Most of the time they are working they have a hook attached.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

"Aint no fear of fallin, but I hate it on the ground"
    We always say, "it ain't the fall that will kill you, but that sudden stop is a motherfucker"

Fear of heights has never been a problem with me, i've worked on the roofs of 30+ story buildings, you just have to trust your safety equipment and always focus on what your standing on instead of the ground below

Spent about 8 months on top of this putting in the cooling towers and all the associated pipe, parts and pieces.

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/_file...tree-tower.jpg

I stood on top of one of the huge balls you see at the very top.
    Nope I couldn't do it
    Last edited by l921428x; 05-03-2015 at 09:34 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Damn. That made me sick just watching that video. I can go on a one story roof with no problems, but anything higher and vertigo sets in. People who can do that kind of shit are far better men than I. If fixing that antenna were up to me, they'd have to dismantle that tower and bring the antenna down so I could work on it on the ground.

In the mid-60's my uncle came down to hunt deer with two buddies. One of them was a full blooded American Indian. He worked on bridges and spent most of his time working on the Chesapeake Bay bridge. He would run up the main cable bundles to the tops of the towers and start painting. He told me he never used a safety belt as they just got in the way (Safety regs required him to have it, but he never felt the need to use it). He had, absolutely, no fear of heights.

There's no way I could ever do anything like that.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Can I bring my parachute and jump once I get to the top? That tower is probably tall enough you wouldn't even need a BASE rig.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    If you were shitfaced, you' probably fall the second you started climbing the ladder outside of the elevator .... LOL!!! So it's probably not a good idea.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Ain't no way in hell.

I get vertigo standing on a chair.
    Returns June 3rd.

I'd rather be a cop in Baltimore. FUCK that. That structure didn't look sturdy enough to support one man let alone two even though I'm sure they are engineered to. In some wind that would get extremely dicey. Guys that do that have huge brass balls.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    I'd rather be a cop in Baltimore. FUCK that. That structure didn't look sturdy enough to support one man let alone two even though I'm sure they are engineered to. In some wind that would get extremely dicey. Guys that do that have huge brass balls.
    Yeah no shit, and surely some of that stuff rusts over time?

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Sorry, but I can't even get to a fraction of that height. I think most people on the planet cannot.
    In the late 1970's I climbed 1/2 way up (550 feet) the WUTV (Buffalo UHF channel 29 TV) tower.

Our radio club has several antennas for 2 meters and 450 at that level.

To be a full member of the club, a member had to do some work for the club, so one of the things I did was climb up the tower to service the cables connected to the antennas.

The tower is a triangle (3 vertical tubes in a triangle shape) with guy wires and a ladder inside.

I had some tools with me, and they were all tethered to me with clothesline so I wouldn't drop them.

Climbing up was a real physical workout. I was in my early 20's and in great shape, but I huffed and puffed and stopped to rest a few times as I climbed.

At the top, I could see Buffalo, Toronto, the Falls (Niagara Falls) I should have brought a camera with me!

The tower swayed up that high, but not just back and forth, but with a complex "S" shape (I could see the top of the tower and the bottom swaying in different directions).

The guy wires howled in the wind. It was a bit scary, but also tons of fun.

Going up and down was a pain because I used a safety harness and had to constantly clip and unclip the ... um... clips, but no way would I have done it without the harness (even though I was safely INSIDE the triangle and on the ladder).

What that guy did in the video.... no way would I do that.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    What that guy did in the video.... no way would I do that.
    It was the part where he was FREE CLIMBING on the outside, on that skinny flimsy tower extension and was holding on with ONE HAND and looking around and moving his body around as he was adjusting his stance...... ugh...... I've seen that several times and I STILL get queasy....