Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine unboxing

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

New Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine unboxing

After long consideration, reading reviews, and dreaming about one for over 2 years i finally decided to throw down on one. Overall without having fired it yet i am very happy. It is a high quality firearm. The walnut stock is fitted well, the action is smooth and slick. The trigger feels like an original. I will get out to shoot it over the next week or so. The originals are quite rare around here and are restricted. This one is a little bit longer and non restricted. I am more then happy with that especially since the longer barrel might help the 30 carbine round reach out a little further.

It came with a pretty crappy looking 5 round magazine. I bought a pinned 30 round M2 mag at the surplus store. luckily this model carbine has an M2 mag release so it is able to accept these longer mags. I would like to find an original WWII (pinned to 5) 10 or 15 round mag to go with it sometime in my travels.

Some pics.

Next to my Springfield M1 Garand (Made Oct 1945)

Edit: I decided to pop the stock off and see inside. Overall i think they did a really good job on this rifle.

The Date of manufacture is in here

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I see they did the original type flip leaf rear sight, no windage adjustment. Also the type 1 barrel band with no bayonet lug. Looks good over all to match the original configuration of the M1 Carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I see they did the original type flip leaf rear sight, no windage adjustment. Also the type 1 barrel band with no bayonet lug. Looks good over all to match the original configuration of the M1 Carbine.
    I was considering changing that sight to a later adjustable, if i can find one for a decent price. I spent my budget on guns for a little while so i don't want to shell out another hundred dollars for a sight just yet.

wait a minute... i just took what you said about the sight and looked at a pile of pictures on google image and looks like the original WAS like this. i must me loosing it. I thought it the sight was like this because of cost.

Looks good. Price?
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    wait a minute... i just took what you said about the sight and looked at a pile of pictures on google image and looks like the original WAS like this. i must me loosing it. I thought it the sight was like this because of cost.
    No, like I said the original M1 carbine only had the L shaped flip leaf rear sight to adjust for distance, but no windage. You have to remember the M1 carbine was meant as a replacement for the .45 ACP 1911 handgun that was standard issue to officers. They went so far as to invent and make a pistol belt scabbard / holster for them. After feedback of course they improved the design with the adjustable rear sight and they put a bayonet lug on it.

Here is the first five rounds out of it. No problem. I am in love.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Nice carbine!

I still need one myself.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I love shooting the Carbine. It is a great little rifle and they are very accurate. I also think it is a great transition rifle. It definitely has a recoil, unlike a .22, but it doesn't kick like a full power center fire rifle.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I just got to watch the video. Your rifle's action stays open after the last round if fired. I have a WWII Carbine and it does not lock open after the last round is fired. It does have a pin so I can lock open the action, but it is a manual operation, it does not happen automatically.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Five for five rounds fired with perfect cycling. Looks like it's going to be a good one. Oh by the way, the action springs that pull the bolt closed stripping the round off the magazines, these can get weak in time. Granted both of the original M1 carbines I have owned were ... well very old and well used. Both would not strip rounds off a fully loaded 15 round original GI magazine until I replaced the spring with a replacement GI M1 Carbine spring I picked up at a gun show. They came in a 2 spring package. Used the first one on my first carbine. Then got the 2nd one and used the last one on it. My point is, you might want to pick up one of these springs and keep it as a spare. Some day (many years from now) if your spring gets weak you won't get rounds to load out of a full magazine.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Nice! What was the price for it?
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    Nice! What was the price for it?
    :S this is where it gets silly. It cost $950. I know i could have had something a lot better but i really wanted an M1 Carbine. The used WWII carbines go for that much around here and they are all used to death. The new one seemed the best option to me. Since i am tired of babying collectables. I wanted a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    you might want to pick up one of these springs and keep it as a spare. Some day (many years from now) if your spring gets weak you won't get rounds to load out of a full magazine.
    Really good advice. I am looking on Ebay right now.

As to your point of it being a good one. I really hope so. I had no issues yesterday with it. I fired 38 rounds in total and only had a couple of frog ups which were because of old soft point ammo. One round jammed going in the chamber which required me pushing the op handle like a forward assist and the other mess up was a bad primer. The round didn't go off on the first firing. Primer was fully dented but no go. I put it back in the chamber before i left the range and hit it again and it went. This was early 1980's remington commercial ammo that was stored improperly. Not the fault of the rifle.

The old ammo was given to me by a friend (18 rounds of it in a super tattered box). I shook each round and heard the powder shaking around in side the cartridge so i figured they weren't submerged at least. The exposed lead tip on each round was well oxidized. I figured it was doing well only having choked on feeding one of them.

All of the new FMJ rounds fed and fired flawlessly.

I am saving my brass for reloading. local shop is bringing in reloading components for me.
    Last edited by rci2950; 05-05-2015 at 03:36 AM.

:S this is where it gets silly. It cost $950.
    Ouch!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Congrats. I've been putting lead downrange w/ my 1943 Inland M1 Carbine since 1972. Upwards of 8,000 rds now & have never replaced a single part (not even springs) since then. The first centerfire rifle I ever owned & the last I would ever sell.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I just got to watch the video. Your rifle's action stays open after the last round if fired. I have a WWII Carbine and it does not lock open after the last round is fired. It does have a pin so I can lock open the action, but it is a manual operation, it does not happen automatically.
    It doesn't lock open itself. I am using an M2 magazine in it for that video. The follower on the M2 mag has a notch that catches the bolt on last shot. The bolt slams shut when you pull the mag out.

It doesn't lock open itself. I am using an M2 magazine in it for that video. The follower on the M2 mag has a notch that catches the bolt on last shot. The bolt slams shut when you pull the mag out.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, the magazine.

Interesting. Not sure the point in having the action lock open if it does not allow for chambering the first round of the new mag faster. Maybe it is so you know you fired the last round and need to change mags. Thanks for the information.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Interesting. Not sure the point in having the action lock open if it does not allow for chambering the first round of the new mag faster. Maybe it is so you know you fired the last round and need to change mags. Thanks for the information.
    Yep, it lets you know to change mags.

This is why the Serbians came up with their last round hold open AK mags. Otherwise you won't know until you get a "click".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast