3. It Would Save Taxpayer Money
    4. Police Can Divert Their Focus to Violent Crimes
    5. It Would Help Repair Police-Community Relations
    6. Marijuana Use Will Probably Stay Roughly the Same
    7. Government Isn’t Your Parent
    8. Real Crime Would Still Be Illegal
    9. No Uptick in Crime
    10. Libertarians Will Stop Talking About Weed Legalization
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Its just a matter of time. States will come on line a few each year. Then a tipping point occurs and its legal nation wide.

I don't see the Repubs running on weed tho. Nah.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

11. We could restore the Fourth Amendment that drug enforcement has destroyed.

12. The Federal government had no Constitutional authority to enact/enforce any such laws in the first place.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    It also causes serious reduction in IQ when taken by minors. Only after age 21 does the actual medical risk go away.

It is another intoxicant that people seem to abuse MORE than liquor .... ever seen a pothead ever ADMIT that they were the smoking equivalent of an alcoholic?

Stoned driving is actually worse than DRUNK Driving. When you're drunk, you're definitely impaired. When you're stoned, you can completely forget what you're doing .... like forgetting that you're driving a moving car.

There is no field sobriety test that's immediate (like a breathalyzer) for weed usage for impaired driving cases.

In states where "MEDICAL USAGE" is approved, the lay public abuses the system so much that it's defacto LEGAL. Thus ABUSE is rampant and purely recreational usage is off the chart.

I've eliminated a few associates who just became weed smokers who were essentially USELESS and UNMOTIVATED.

We have a saying "Stoner logic" for a reason, aka, Stoners will do things that make no sense, but in their minds it does make sense, because they're stoned all the time.

Weed smokers don't seem to realize that they are still SMOKING. They light up near Non Smoking sections and always complain "Hey, it's not like it's cigarettes!" (again, Stoner logic)

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but I don't like how Weed militants overstate how benign and beneficial it is. The people I know who smoke a lot of weed are completely clueless and useless. I call it 'Liberal Democrat in a bong"......

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    It also causes serious reduction in IQ when taken by minors. Only after age 21 does the actual medical risk go away.

It is another intoxicant that people seem to abuse MORE than liquor .... ever seen a pothead ever ADMIT that they were the smoking equivalent of an alcoholic?

Stoned driving is actually worse than DRUNK Driving. When you're drunk, you're definitely impaired. When you're stoned, you can completely forget what you're doing .... like forgetting that you're driving a moving car.

There is no field sobriety test that's immediate (like a breathalyzer) for weed usage for impaired driving cases.

In states where "MEDICAL USAGE" is approved, the lay public abuses the system so much that it's defacto LEGAL. Thus ABUSE is rampant and purely recreational usage is off the chart.

I've eliminated a few associates who just became weed smokers who were essentially USELESS and UNMOTIVATED.

We have a saying "Stoner logic" for a reason, aka, Stoners will do things that make no sense, but in their minds it does make sense, because they're stoned all the time.

Weed smokers don't seem to realize that they are still SMOKING. They light up near Non Smoking sections and always complain "Hey, it's not like it's cigarettes!" (again, Stoner logic)

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but I don't like how Weed militants overstate how benign and beneficial it is. The people I know who smoke a lot of weed are completely clueless and useless. I call it 'Liberal Democrat in a bong"......

A lot of your points seem motivated by your Kalifornia experience.

There is plenty of conservative support for legalization in my neck of the woods. Of course, this is somewhat of a beach town. And we're already known for being a little slow paced.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

If you think cigarette / tobacco smoking causes cancer and lung disease ... just wait until the aftermath of chronic grass smokers hits in a few decades. Lung cancer and emphysema is going to spike to epidemic levels. Government health care is sure going to be tasked.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If you think cigarette / tobacco smoking causes cancer and lung disease ... just wait until the aftermath of chronic grass smokers hits in a few decades. Lung cancer and emphysema is going to spike to epidemic levels. Government health care is sure going to be tasked.
    Progressive arguments such as increased government health care costs should be dismissed as commie propaganda. There should be no government health care, period!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Progressive arguments such as increased government health care costs should be dismissed as commie propaganda. There should be no government health care, period!
    I agree, but you know this will be cited eventually. It's the argument that they use to inhibit the rights of people to smoke, charge more taxes for the product.

I my self smoke nothing, but it bugs me that all the cigarette, pipe and cigar smokers are banned most places and hosed down with taxes.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-05-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    11. We could restore the Fourth Amendment that drug enforcement has destroyed.

12. The Federal government had no Constitutional authority to enact/enforce any such laws in the first place.
    13. It solves the biggest risk associated with Marijuana: getting caught with it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

A lot of your points seem motivated by your Kalifornia experience.

There is plenty of conservative support for legalization in my neck of the woods. Of course, this is somewhat of a beach town. And we're already known for being a little slow paced.
    LOL. The only point that is NOT based on California and is universal is the serious medical threat it has to children. But then children aren't allowed to smoke and drink either, but they do. Smoking and drinking, even though banned to children by law already, don't cause the sort of brain damage that weed does. I don't have a problem with ADULTS who imbibe on the rare occasion. But I see so many kids laughing and talking on social media about how HIGH they're getting. If every kid smoked a lot of weed, then we'll become IDIOCRACY sooner than later

LOL. The only point that is NOT based on California and is universal is the serious medical threat it has to children. But then children aren't allowed to smoke and drink either, but they do. Smoking and drinking, even though banned to children by law already, don't cause the sort of brain damage that weed does. I don't have a problem with ADULTS who imbibe on the rare occasion. But I see so many kids laughing and talking on social media about how HIGH they're getting. If every kid smoked a lot of weed, then we'll become IDIOCRACY sooner than later
    I seriously doubt it is worse for kid's brains than alcohol. Surgeons can literally use alcohol to perform a lobotomy. Squirt alcohol onto the brain material you wish to remove and it dissolves away.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, getting caught is the biggest danger. A kid having a drug offense on his record is much worse than any potential brain cell loss, which I think you may have overblown the danger of somewhat. I doubt that its good for you, but you make it sound like everyone who lit up prior to age 21 was made instantly retarded, which is obviously not true.

Just what we need, more people kicked back lacking motivation and being impaired. I was stoned for 12 years of my life, 12 years I had lots of good times. I now look back at all the "good time" wasted having "good times". Your perception is your reality, you have to live with what you do with your life. I could really give a shit if you waste it, just do not ask for any public assistance of any type while your wasting away in Cheech and Chong land. Pay your own way, then you earn the right to do what you want with your life.

I seriously doubt it is worse for kid's brains than alcohol. Surgeons can literally use alcohol to perform a lobotomy. Squirt alcohol onto the brain material you wish to remove and it dissolves away.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, getting caught is the biggest danger. A kid having a drug offense on his record is much worse than any potential brain cell loss, which I think you may have overblown the danger of somewhat. I doubt that its good for you, but you make it sound like everyone who lit up prior to age 21 was made instantly retarded, which is obviously not true.

I didn't just suddenly MAKE that up. It's been in the news.

http://time.com/3577914/marijuana-pot-study-brain-iq/

Repeated marijuana use is correlated with lower IQ scores and less volume in the region of the brain that helps make decisions, according to a new study.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...IQ-levels.html

Cannabis destroys brain power and lowers IQ, a study has found.

The drug is already known to slow reaction times, block memory and cause panic attacks, drowsiness, confusion and hallucinations.

But smoking cannabis five times a week can also have a measurable effect on intelligence.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...lowers-IQ.html
    Researchers found persistent users of the drug, who started smoking it at school, had lower IQ scores as adults.

They were also significantly more likely to have attention and memory problems in later life, than their peers who abstained.

Furthermore, those who started as teenagers and used it heavily, but quit as adults, did not regain their full mental powers, found academics at King’s College London and Duke University in the US.
    Unsurprisingly the most vociferous critics of these studies are PRO POT organizations and LEFT LEANING web sites (go figure).

Now remember, in my original post I pointed out that the pot users I know are ABUSERS. They smoke 3-7(!) bowls a day. They are NOT casual users and I will have nothing to do with them. They reek of weed and they're morons.

Again, I have no issues if you're an Adult and responsibly imbibe just like if you're a smoker or drinker. But know that weed is NOT the same as booze. Sure it's not like harder drugs like speed, crack, meth, coke, etc, but I certainly don't want to see more KIDS doing it. If the pro weed forces were as vociferous about not tolerating underage use, I'd be more sympathetic.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Like alcohol, some cannabis actually benefits you and helps with certain brain and bodily functions. However setting the stuff on fire and inhaling it obviously does far more harm than good (hence why it's better to vaporize it. )
    I don't think anyone is saying smoking pot has zero ill effects on the brain or kids should smoke pot. Just saying that it is less harmful than the legal things many of us use frequently and it makes no sense to turn pot smokers (weather they smoke once in a blue moon or daily) into criminals just because their intoxicant is different than your case of beer or fifth of whiskey.

As for kids using it... They do, and they will. Should it be encouraged? Hell no. Seriously, any drug that alters how your brain function is bad for brain development. Marijuana included. Alcohol included. And legal synthetic drugs mimicking marijuana that are frequently coming in and being banned after sending thousands of people to the ER are certainly included.

Will legalization make it easier for kids to get? Hell no! When I was a teenager the illegality is what made it easy! If I walked into a store to get alcohol I'd have been carded and kicked out! Had to find douche bags to get it for me, pay them extra, yadda yadda... Same with tobacco. The guy selling marijuana... They'd go to jail just as quick for selling to adults as to kids, so those guys would sell to me and my friends no problem. Scripts were a little trickier with the exception of Adderal and the like. I swear at least 1 out of every 4 kids had a prescription and at least half of those kids sold them instead of take them.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

It also causes serious reduction in IQ when taken by minors.

The same could be said for current public school graduates who listen to Rap music, too.

Same results; different causes.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I have never seen the point in purposefully introducing poisons to one's body (other than certain necessary medications), whether they be from cigarettes, excessive alcohol, pills, opiates, or pot, but my opinion is just one in a sea of opinions. Just one of those things that makes me go but to each their own. The part that pisses me off is when dopers (not so much pot users - usually opiate users) become so obsessed with getting high that they spend all their money doing so until they go bankrupt - then they go out to rob, burglarize, and steal from innocent folks just to fund their habit.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    cigarettes, excessive alcohol, pills, opiates, or pot,...
    Why is alcohol the only substance you qualified with "excessive"?

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    The part that pisses me off is when dopers (not so much pot users - usually opiate users) become so obsessed with getting high that they spend all their money doing so until they go bankrupt - then they go out to rob, burglarize, and steal from innocent folks just to fund their habit.
    Welcome to western civilization. Before drugs, you would have found people acting this way over wine, prostitutes, and gambling.

I didn't just suddenly MAKE that up. It's been in the news.

http://time.com/3577914/marijuana-pot-study-brain-iq/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...IQ-levels.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...lowers-IQ.html

Unsurprisingly the most vociferous critics of these studies are PRO POT organizations and LEFT LEANING web sites (go figure).

Now remember, in my original post I pointed out that the pot users I know are ABUSERS. They smoke 3-7(!) bowls a day. They are NOT casual users and I will have nothing to do with them. They reek of weed and they're morons.

Again, I have no issues if you're an Adult and responsibly imbibe just like if you're a smoker or drinker. But know that weed is NOT the same as booze. Sure it's not like harder drugs like speed, crack, meth, coke, etc, but I certainly don't want to see more KIDS doing it. If the pro weed forces were as vociferous about not tolerating underage use, I'd be more sympathetic.
    Brain damage and reduced IQ scores over a long term testing period are COMPLETELY different!

Your posts have been making it sound like lighting up instantly kills your brain. Well your articles are based on everyday smoker who smoke multiple times a day. Tell me what you think would happen to a child who drank over six alcoholic drinks every single day of the year for years on end?

If the pro weed forces were as vociferous about not tolerating underage use, I'd be more sympathetic.
    I never see you in the humidor expressing your concern over underage drinking.

Alcohol is the most commonly used and abused drug among youth in the United States, more than tobacco and illicit drugs1, and is responsible for more than 4,300 annual deaths among underage youth2. Although drinking by persons under the age of 21 is illegal, people aged 12 to 20 years drink 11% of all alcohol consumed in the United States.3 More than 90% of this alcohol is consumed in the form of binge drinks.3 On average, underage drinkers consume more drinks per drinking occasion than adult drinkers.4 In 2010, there were approximately 189,000 emergency rooms visits by persons under age 21 for injuries and other conditions linked to alcohol.5

http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-shee...e-drinking.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Like alcohol, some cannabis actually benefits you and helps with certain brain and bodily functions. However setting the stuff on fire and inhaling it obviously does far more harm than good (hence why it's better to vaporize it. )
    I don't think anyone is saying smoking pot has zero ill effects on the brain or kids should smoke pot. Just saying that it is less harmful than the legal things many of us use frequently and it makes no sense to turn pot smokers (weather they smoke once in a blue moon or daily) into criminals just because their intoxicant is different than your case of beer or fifth of whiskey.

As for kids using it... They do, and they will. Should it be encouraged? Hell no. Seriously, any drug that alters how your brain function is bad for brain development. Marijuana included. Alcohol included. And legal synthetic drugs mimicking marijuana that are frequently coming in and being banned after sending thousands of people to the ER are certainly included.

Will legalization make it easier for kids to get? Hell no! When I was a teenager the illegality is what made it easy! If I walked into a store to get alcohol I'd have been carded and kicked out! Had to find douche bags to get it for me, pay them extra, yadda yadda... Same with tobacco. The guy selling marijuana... They'd go to jail just as quick for selling to adults as to kids, so those guys would sell to me and my friends no problem. Scripts were a little trickier with the exception of Adderal and the like. I swear at least 1 out of every 4 kids had a prescription and at least half of those kids sold them instead of take them.
    I agree with all your points. Synthetic weed is fucked up shit. Teenagers can currently buy pot more easily than anything else. When I was in high school over ten years ago, pot was easiest to find, stimulants were 2'nd, downers 3'rd, hallucinogens 4'th, then alcohol in last place.

Your posts have been making it sound like lighting up instantly kills your brain.
    Nope, you're just overreacting to my wording. I'm not being THAT dramatic. It just might seem that way over the internet.

I never see you in the humidor expressing your concern over underage drinking.
    Why should I? I posted my personal opinion about it here. No need to rant on in the humidor.

Also, the guys HERE are not what pisses me off. The guys HERE are okay. (you included) I'm talking about the militant Weed proponents that surround me in California who blithely dismiss underage pot smoking, but rail against Drunk drivers, giving alcohol to kids, etc. THEY'RE the ones who are the hypocrites. I'm just less accepting because of them and their hypocrisies. I'd chalk it up to being libtards, but sadly a lot of them are either political neutral, or very libertarian. If it were a LEFT/RIGHT thing, it would be easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast