Thread: Cutting an A2 80% lower into a slabside profile.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Cutting an A2 80% lower into a slabside profile.

Decided to mill the fence off an A2 80% to make a slabside. Here is the progress so far. I still have a lot of work to do shaping the removal of the buffer tube reinforcement, and I still have to cut away the front pivot pin reinforcement. I also need to shape curve on the right side below the magazine release button (it's a little too "square" now). The divot from the hole into the side of the removed fence will get a dot of JB Weld.

Fence removed. Used an endmill in my drill press to peck it away (didn't want to put lateral stress on a drill press), then finished with a file when I got close.

Roughed in the buffer tube area (still needs a lot of material removed). Done with dremel and files.

Checked to make sure I didn't accidentally take the edge below flush where the upper and lower meet. Lines up just fine.

Not looking to do a perfect clone, just wanted a slabside carbine. I know there are guys who obsess over getting every little piece of a retro build period correct - I'm not doing that. I've seen that level of obsession in guitar building too. I post in one forum where guys build replicas of 1950's Les Paul guitars. I've seen one person go to the extreme of cutting up an old accordion because it was inlaid with pearloid celluloid that was a period correct match for the neck inlays of a 1959 Les Paul Standard. I'm not planning to be that obsessive about anything.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Your "non-obsessed obsession" looks great! Very nice job.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I assume you already know about these?

http://nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

Not knocking your project at all, looks like you are doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I assume you already know about these?

http://nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

Not knocking your project at all, looks like you are doing a good job.
    NoDak doesn't drill the hole for the safety detent. I don't have the capability to drill this hole to finish the 80%.

I am on the list for the next round of their topcocking prototype clone upper/lower sets.

Did a little more today. Reshaped the area under the mag release. The corner will round out a little more with buffing and sanding. Removed more material from the buffer tube reinforcement. That area on the right side just needs cleanup and final shaping. Still have to remove more material from the left side, but that is easier without the hump for the takedown pin detent in the way.

If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

A little more work. I'm about to the point where it isn't going to get much better, and I'm just risking making a mess if I continue. Still need to sand off the leading edge where the tube contour meets the upper - not supposed to be a ridge there on a slabside. I may put just a little more effort into cleaning up the corners.

Ground off the edge.

Last edited by nfa1934; 05-17-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Very nice work.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

That's a lot of work. Looks good. Can't wait to see the final result.

Noticed that removal of the buffer tube reinforcement is more than just taking off the lip. That cut goes all the way back. I'll take it off with the spindle sander tomorrow.

Barrel, A1 grip and 3-prong duckbill arrived today.

Picked up an aluminum 2-position stock and a straight delta ring. Swapped the BCG to a Daniel Defense chrome BCG. Still have more work to do on the lower.

Completed the lower with the Ghost Gunner. Sprayed with AlumHyde II Dark Parkerizing Gray. It's safe to handle now, but still waiting for full cure. Will get one more coat to cover a cole of spots I missed.

Looking good.

I spent some time working on the rifle today. Going to go thinner with the Alumahyde II in the future. Everything is tight. The mag catch and the magwell both bind a little - I may spend some time tomorrow just dropping and inserting the mag to see if it will smooth out a little. Waiting for my front takedown pin and I still need to install my front sling loop. I put in an ALG ACT trigger, but I may swap it out for an ordinary mil-spec or an ALG QMS since the nickel plating looks odd on this rifle. The lower looks a lot "greener" in these pics.

NICE! Excellent work!

The other side.

Swapped the trigger from the ALG to a trigger I pulled out of an old Bushmaster ten years ago. Looks better. Trigger was never horrible, I just have a lot nicer triggers in most of my ARs.

Very old school retro.