Thread: Memorial Day, how soon some forget.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Memorial Day, how soon some forget.

Reprinted with permission from the Indiana House Republicans, Brian Bosma Speaker.

This weekend, we pause to remember countless American heroes who gave their lives in service to our country. From Bunker Hill to Baghdad, brave men and women have paid the ultimate price to secure freedom not only for their fellow Americans, but also for countless souls in distant lands where liberty was an otherwise unattainable dream.

President Reagan famously said, "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."

Memorial Day is a sobering reminder of Reagan's message that freedom is not free; it comes with a price. If not for the sacrifice of America's fallen heroes, forces of oppression could have extinguished freedom's light long ago.

Our nation owes an eternal debt to its fallen heroes for the freedom they protected. On this important holiday, you are encouraged to reflect on these dedicated servicemen and women who took up a cause much greater than themselves, and ultimately perished so that freedom never would.

God Bless America. Let Freedom Ring!

So perfectly said. God bless our veterans, past, present and future.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

To those that allowed me to survive..................
    Dan

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes we all owe a lot to those that have served and those that are still in service. So many forget. Today as I drove back into my subdivision my house is the only house flying the American flag. Bet it stays that way right up to and including Memorial Day on Monday.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Not sure which is worse, forgetting what Memorial Day is all about or not knowing in the first place? Our HR Dept. sent out it's yearly Memorial Day email reminding everyone that you have to work the day before and the day after a holiday to get paid for it, yada, yada, yada...... In closing they asked that we remember our coworkers that died in "active service". The "active service" they are referring to is employed by our company at the time of death, not active duty military or veteran or even killed on the job. They are talking about an employee who dies of a heart attack while grilling in the backyard or one that decides to make a beer run at 10pm and hits a telephone pole on the way back home.

This is the second year they've sent this email and it really bothers me. I believe it has something to do with liberals in that area of the company. I mean it. I think they either don't have a clue or are really trying to distract from the actual meaning and intent of Memorial Day. Either way it bothers me, maybe it shouldn't but it does and I'm not sure it I can or should keep my mouth shut?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

Just got back from a local Memorial Day parade I've been going to for years. It was pouring rain but service people both young & old turned out. There were even a handful of WWII vets. Two of those men I've had the honor of meeting in person a few times. One guy named Speedy Ulrich is a Battle of the Bulge/Huertgen Forest combat vet, with some interesting stories to say the least. Both men are in their early 90's now but still standing tall.

Hats off to all the Vets on this day.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Well aren't those a couple of depressing pictures.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986