Thread: Thompson Center Encore

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Thompson Center Encore

Picked up a new Encore today and a new Nikon pro staff Inline scope for it. Guy in the shop installed the scope for me. Used a neat level thingy and a tork clicky screwdriver. First time i have seen one done that professionally. This is what i have chosen for my hunting rifle. I was originally going to go with the BAR but after holding one. I decided i didn't like it. They cheapened out the rifle using aluminum and plastic. The plastic mag release didn't even look like it belonged with that rifle and it was a brand new on the rack item. I know your wondering how i went from wanting a semi auto to a single shot. I didn't really care. I just wanted a comfortable to hold, ergonomic rifle that was of high quality. This one looks like it fits the bill more then any other i looked at. Generally my hunting trips consist of one shot at a time anyway and this way i won't be wasting time searching for my brass. I bought the rifle with the 209x50 Magnum barrel on it because it was a smoking deal. I wanted an inline muzzle loader anyway. I will be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a centerfire barrel in the upcoming weeks. Possibly .243 Win. I was hoping to get a good all around cartridge for both Coyote and White Tail. Something easy to reload and light recoiling. Lets see what comes up.

Last edited by rci2950; 05-23-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I was thinking that was a black powder rifle. What is the expected useful range on that?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I was thinking that was a black powder rifle. What is the expected useful range on that?
    This is a black powder rifle, because i bought the 209x50 muzzle loader barrel with it because of the smoking deal. But the receiver is designed to change barrels from different centerfire calibers, muzzle loader and shotgun gauges on the fly. They advertise it as a do it all rifle.

Range with a modern inline Muzzle loader is up to 200 yards with the sabot bullets and charge pellets. My father has a traditions inline muzzleloader and he got his deer last year with it at over 150 yards. They are really efficient.

With a centrefire barrel they are tack drivers.
    Last edited by rci2950; 05-23-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

You'll like your choice.

I have done most of my hunting with BP rifles and shotguns. I prefer the more traditional muzzle loaders, with 60" rate of twist so Ican shoot patched round balls, but if I had to choose an inline, TC would be the best choice.

I've had a few TC Hawken rifles, but didn't like the way they fit my hand. Wasn't comfortable for me, so I went with CVA and haven't looked back.

Are you going to use loose powder or pellets? Pellets are faster to load with.

With a little practice, you'll be able to get about 3-4 shots per minute.

Congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to the world of BP.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I like your choice also. Is it a .50 calibre and if not what is the 209x50? I have never owned a TC
    but have always had a favorable opinion of their products.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

The 209x50 means it is 50 cal and uses a 209 shotgun primer for ignition. I will be hunting with the 50 but i am also going to be buying a scoped .243 barrel for this to use centerfire ammo. Overall i am very happy. My father really likes his muzzle loader and it is his go to rifle for white tail. Sometimes he uses 45 cal pistol bullets meant for reloading 45acp in it with a plastic Sabot that takes up the windage to make it 50 caliber. The lighter bullets are like lasers.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

A neighbor of mine has one of those for black powder deer season.