Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know your cholesterol numbers?

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Do you know your cholesterol numbers?

Well do ya, punk?

Before these latest festivities I personally only had a vague idea what they were. One of the pieces of information sent home with me was the cholesterol findings from my blood work done Thursday night.

Total cholesterol : 172. (desired range: 130-180)

Triglycerides : 252. (desired range: 50-150)

LDL cholesterol : 65. (desired range: less than 70)

HDL cholesterol : 57. (desired range: greater than 40)

Now, mine look pretty damned good for a guy my age (56) except for the triglycerides. Those are high I believe for two reasons: my diet, and my drinking habits. I love BBQ and grilled steaks, so high fat level in the blood is not surprising, especially when coupled with the fact I drink either beer, wine or whiskey 4 to 5 times per week. I cook a lot, and while doing so I like to partake in an adult beverage. If I'm cooking indoors its often red wine. If I'm manning the grill or smoker, its beer! And of course there's few things I enjoy more than a glass of good whiskey and a quality cigar. I dunno, I've promised the wife to dial back on all this stuff so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully she won't channel her inner Stalin too much.

So, I ask again; do you know your numbers?
    Returns June 3rd.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Don't know mine at the moment but they get checked once a year and this is the month that I normally get mine checked. Last year I was in the normal range for all items checked. As with you I attribute this mostly to my diet. I do not eat a lot of meat and then it is generally chicken, turkey or fish. I enjoy the occasional steak, but it is not what I prefer. I also exercise 6 days a week for about 45 minutes and I love to walk, which helps keep things in check.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Your numbers aren't bad at all. Are you on a statin? Mine was last checked in Oct. 2014, so less than a year. Not sure why my triglycerides weren't listed. Usually they are. Unfortunately I share your love of all things unhealthy. I've been focused on the diet aspect for a while. Nothing rigorous, just portion sizes and more fruits and vegetables and salads. Less beef and pork, more fish and chicken. I've cut way back on smoking to only 2 or 3 a month. Drinking...well we have to have something...
    Total Chol-178
    HDL-49
    LDL-95
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Lets see, for the next 90 days my cardiologist has me on Plavix, Coreg and Lytensopril. These are as much a precautionary measure as anything. When I talked to him yesterday he was quite candid. When looking at all my numbers, the ekg and echo cardiogram, they don't add up to heart attack. Plus, I have no blockage or plaque issues. So, the only thing that leaves is a stress induced event. (or massive amounts of coke, which I don't have a source for )

I guess I should just chill a bit.
    Returns June 3rd.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

My cholestrol doctor wonders why I am not dead yet.....If I had kept on taking statin drugs, I would be.....

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    My cholestrol doctor wonders why I am not dead yet.....If I had kept on taking statin drugs, I would be.....
    Please elaborate!
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Mine has always been below 200 total. My good cholesterol is always higher than normal\desired or at least at the upper end. Still need to drop 100 lbs but either way it probably won't be a blockage that does me in.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Do I know mine? Yeah, my VA doctors was always harping on it...now I have a new VA doctor. ��
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Do I know mine? Yeah, my VA doctors was always harping on it...now I have a new VA doctor. ��
    I see. So did you switch doctors because the old one ragged on you?
    Returns June 3rd.

Do you take aspirin daily, by chance?
    Returns June 3rd.

Just had mine checked. I'm 100 points too high on the Bad Cholesterol. Taking Atorvastatin.

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    Just had mine checked. I'm 100 points too high on the Bad Cholesterol. Taking Atorvastatin.
    Lets hope that does the trick.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    I see. So did you switch doctors because the old one ragged on you?
    Naw, the one quit the VA or moved. The one I have now was on deployment, but is back at the VA clinic and I was moved to him. Only seen him one time for a yearly checkup,...most of my dealings are with the VA regional hospital. Chloresteral is at the low end of my worry. ��
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Naw, the one quit the VA or moved. The one I have now was on deployment, but is back at the VA clinic and I was moved to him. Only seen him one time for a yearly checkup,...most of my dealings are with the VA regional hospital. Chloresteral is at the low end of my worry. ��
    Gotcha.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

as of 9-17-14 (last results), about 5-6 months after i stated my cholesterol medication:

total 188
    tri: 219
    ldl: 111
    hdl:33

as of 5/31/12 (my "peak" )

total: 270
    tri: 435
    ldl: "UNINTERPRETABLE RESULT" (peak number was 12/1/11 at 164)
    hdl: 28
    interestingly enough, at my last appointment on 2-16-15, a cholesterol test was not ordered.
    Last edited by deth502; 05-30-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Please elaborate!
    My cholestrol has been over 300 for the last 35 years. I have nasty reactions to all statin drugs. My cholestrol is not caused by diet...It has taken me 10 years to get my pulse back to normal. Co enzyme Q10 did that for me....If you google statin drugs and Q10, you will see where one of the statin makers filed a patient to combine statins with Q10 because testing proved that the statins were detrimental to cardiac tissue....

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Do you take aspirin daily, by chance?
    Yes, I do....along with coenzyme Q10 and fish oil...

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    as of 9-17-14 (last results), about 5-6 months after i stated my cholesterol medication:

total 188

interestingly enough, at my last appointment on 2-16-15, a cholesterol test was not ordered.
    What Medication are you taking for it deth502 I just got mine tested and its a bit worse than yours. Too much Kielbasa in the NEPA (said in my best coal miner accent). Wife hasn't let me have red meat in 4 weeks no eggs either!!!

Doc recommended fish oil. Anybody notice a difference between taking it or not?
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

Yes, I do....along with coenzyme Q10 and fish oil...
    I need to start taking fish oil, my Doctor thinks its beneficial over the long haul.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post

total 188

Damn, big guy, you basically had butter for blood.

Glad to see you're getting a handle on it.
    Returns June 3rd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast