Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Made An Untraceable AR-15 'Ghost Gun' In My Office - And It Was Easy

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post I Made An Untraceable AR-15 'Ghost Gun' In My Office - And It Was Easy

After today, it's all historical.

And the point is? That you could, that he would?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Clearly it is an antigunner's attempt to gin up more gun control.

BTW, fixed your title from Mace to Made.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-04-2015 at 06:12 AM.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Clearly it is an antigunner's attempt to gin up more gun control.

BTW, fixed your title from Mace to Made.
    I think this may be a clumsy celebration of technology outpacing government controls written by somebody who isn't a "gun guy". In other articles, the author seems to take delight in people using tech to render government irrelevant. His opinions on hacking, privacy, government spying, and underground markets seem more Libertarian than leftist. I also get the impression he is on friendly terms with Cody Wilson.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

After today, it's all historical.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Pretty interesting stuff. I wonder how the .gov is going to deal with this technology once it really takes off.

I was one of the initial pre-orders last October. Mine shipped yesterday!
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    I was one of the initial pre-orders last October. Mine shipped yesterday!
    Oh, VERY COOL!!!

Please do a photo essay of your build.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Oh, VERY COOL!!!

Please do a photo essay of your build.
    Will do. Going to be a fun weekend!

It's been a long wait, but I'm happy to contribute to the efforts of Defense Distributed with a pre-order up front. They are the guys who got the gun grabbers panties in a bunch over the first 3D printed pistol files distributed online. They are currently suing the State Department over their bullshit proclamation that technical speech regarding firearms over the internet constitutes an ITAR violation. They do good work.

They had a lot of snags along the way - getting production set up, some issues with a coupler that wasn't up to standard, and even UPS and FedEx refusing to ship their product. UPS eventually relented, and they are scheduled to bring mine tomorrow.

This thing is completely open source and is capable of doing much more than ARs (it's just that it ships with the code to complete an AR, otherwise it's simply a tabletop CNC mill). Cody Wilson's eventual idea is that tinkerers will distribute original weapon designs and share information making the manufacturing of guns so easy that bans and laws are completely moot.

I have some ideas that I will be trying out soon and I'm probably also going to use it to make guitar parts that I want but nobody makes.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I have to admit... I want one. It'd be nice to have some "not on the radar" AR's....

I'd have to get an anodizing kit though. Or maybe just some camo Krylon.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

A lot of people leave them bare aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I have to admit... I want one. It'd be nice to have some "not on the radar" AR's....

I'd have to get an anodizing kit though. Or maybe just some camo Krylon.
    I'd blast em in my cabinet, then K-Phos them then Gun Kote them. Much better than Krylon.

Running right now!

First impressions:

Only one point of frustration so far. I didn't realize the jig wasn't completely seated when I first tried to install it into the machine. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get the bolts to catch the t-slot nuts. I finally realized the jig wasn't mashed down completely flush with the lower receiver. I used a clamp to press the two sides together. After that, the bolts caught the t-slot nuts instantly.

It isn't anywhere near as loud as I expected. Not even close to the noise my routers make. You don't need hearing protection standing beside it. It is running in the garage. You can hear it in the house, but it isn't going to bother the family like my woodworking tools. You could run it inside the house if you wanted to. Dog doesn't like it though.

There is no catch tray for the aluminum chips, they just collect on the open surface under the machine. Since the machine doesn't form a seal to the surface, some shavings come out. I ran painters tape around the bottom edge between the machine and the surface. Problem solved.

The program runs the entire process from start to finish with prompts to do various things like turning and repositioning the jig or changing bits. It would be better to have it divided into subroutines to run separately. It is more "idiot-proof" this way, but it would be nice to set up and run one operation multiple times if you are doing more than one lower. Since it includes the files for 3D printing the jig, you could print a second jig and attach it to a second lower while the program runs on the first lower. For instance - set up to mill the fire control pocket, set one lower running while you attach the second jig to the second lower. When the first lower finishes, set the second lower running. Attach the first jig to a third lower while the second one runs, repeat as necessary for all your lowers. Then set up and do your FCG holes the same way. You would also divide the process into shorter blocks of time - right now, when you start a lower you are with it until the process is complete (which I understand is around four hours).

I like the way the code runs by on the screen in a text box as the machine runs. It has been educational watching the probing and cutting routines pass by while they run. Definitely going to use this thing for more than ARs.

Coming along nicely. I'm going to have a dedicated lower for all my spare uppers.

Making some cuts now that are loud enough you probably wouldn't want the machine running in the house, but still nothing loud enough to require hearing protection while standing beside the machine.
    Last edited by nfa1934; 08-22-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Very cool. Say, when you are removing the material in the mag well - does it use drill bits to save ware on the endmills?

Very cool. Say, when you are removing the material in the mag well - does it use drill bits to save ware on the endmills?
    No, it uses an endmill until time to drill the holes in the sides, but the supplied endmill have very aggressive flutes all the way up the sides.

It just cut the trigger hole and is running a routine to clean up the sides of the fire control pocket.

Will probably be changing the jig to drill the side holes soon.

Repositioned upright.

Drilling selector holes.

Swapping bits.

Drilling FCG holes.

Complete in less than three hours (during which I cleaned the backyard, had lunch, watched TV, and posted online).

That is just too cool!

Is it milled for only a semi-auto fire control group?

That is just too cool!

Is it milled for only a semi-auto fire control group?
    Semi-only.

Assembled and checked for function. Everything is fine. I have one more rifle than I had this morning, no markings whatsoever.

Nice thread. Wish I could afford one of those, would be fun making finished lowers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast