Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Made An Untraceable AR-15 'Ghost Gun' In My Office - And It Was Easy

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Very cool. Say, when you are removing the material in the mag well - does it use drill bits to save ware on the endmills?
    Just noticed you said "mag well". I was thinking of the FCG pocket. The magwell is already cut out on an 80% receiver. The only things left to do on an 80% are the FCG pocket, the selector hole, and the two FCG holes.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

All my spare uppers have a dedicated lower now. You know how spare AR parts have a way of somehow turning into another gun? This is going to accelerate that process.

Seriously, you guys have got to get one of these.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Though it is neat as hell I can't justify the machine given the cost. The Anderson stripped lowers I can get from Aim for $39.95 plus 18 shipping. The local transfer FFL charges 25 / receiver. So I get a complete ready to build on receiver for just under $85. I can't for see building enough 80% lowers which generally sell for $80 each anyway and getting a payback on the machine.

I get my 80% lowers for $29 each from TM in 3-packs, but I still see the point that it isn't economical. I don't think economics is what 80% lowers are really about though. At least for ARs, I have ceased being subject to the unconstitutional 1968 FFL scheme. If I want another one, I can order a paperweight online and stick it in the "oven" for three hours. I can also have completely unmarked ARs. I also have the satisfaction of simply having the capability.

ARs aren't all I'm going to do with this. It's a nice little CNC mill, aside from the plug-and-play factor for ARs. I'm planning to also do guitar parts and other firearm stuff. I have a GRBL controller program separate from the Ghost Gunner program that allows use with on screen controls acting as jog dials. I could stick a blank aluminum billet in the machine and cut on it manually today if I had a need. I'm also learning code and shopping for a CAD/CAM program to take full advantage. I already have a plan to adapt the existing code to .308 ARs. The way I look at it, I bought a fun little CNC mill that just happens to make ARs easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12