Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw Jurassic World Today!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    Bad guy is Vincent D'onofrio

The main character played by Chris Pratt carried a Marlin 1895G stainless steel guide gun in .45-70, I have the same one except blued and not scoped.
    Cool Gun... BUT .....

Black powder 45-70? Okay against Buffalo, but against a giant ARMORED dinosaur? I always wondered why they don't have Barrett M82A1s or any of the .338 Lapua Rifles to take down those big animals. Would you face off with a charging Bull Elephant with a lever action?

Also how hard is it to take down a Biologic? Animals are NOT BULLET PROOF. The Security SHOULD have had belt feds and Mini guns from the get go. Of course there wouldn't be a movie, I suppose if they solved the 'escaped animal' problem in 5 minutes, but I get frustrated when a BIG MONEY operation like this park and INGEN don't have any HEAVY weaponry available. No Helicopter pilots? No backup Helo pilots, so the CEO has to fly the rotorcraft himself? WTF? No matter how 'expensive' your animals are, you STILL have a security force ready to take them down if they go on a rampage.... period.

Sorry, Rant mode off LOL. I still enjoyed the movie, but all those little things did NAG at me

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

No, one of these bad boys. It makes no sense that I don't own one.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigbore/1895.asp
    Returns June 3rd.

45-70 with the right load can drop damn near anything.

there are different load ratings , BP, Ruger, Marlin.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    45-70 with the right load can drop damn near anything.

there are different load ratings , BP, Ruger, Marlin.
    If you're in North America, you're good. It'll drop brown bears, moose and bison.

Probably take out a Cummins engine block too.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Modern .45-70 rifles are not black powder or restricted to black powder pressure loads.
    I shoot buffalo bore 405 gr jfn .45-70 magnum rated loads, 2000fps and 3,597 ft/lbs.
    these loads should not be used in pre-1972 marlin lever actions.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    If you're in North America, you're good. It'll drop brown bears, moose and bison.

Probably take out a Cummins engine block too.
    Correct, but also irrelevant. It WON'T drop charging Bull Elephants and that's the standard you need to begin with when shooting at an Indominus Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    Modern .45-70 rifles are not black powder or restricted to black powder pressure loads.
    I shoot buffalo bore 405 gr jfn .45-70 magnum rated loads, 2000fps and 3,597 ft/lbs.
    these loads should not be used in pre-1972 marlin lever actions.
    Good warning to people who have vintage 45-70 rifles. Thanks. I don't have any MODERN 45-70 rifles, I do have a variety of original Trapdoor Springfields and I would only fire BP out of those.

new ammo/loading info usually has what it's safe for on the box,
    there black powder rated
    trapdoor
    Repro gun's based around black powder designs.
    Marlins ( excluding 1895 action)
    Ruger #1
    Thompson center
    Marlin 1955

any of the new reloading books these all are segregated.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Correct, but also irrelevant. It WON'T drop charging Bull Elephants and that's the standard you need to begin with when shooting at an Indominus Rex.
    Eh, I don't know.

Then there are the full power and +P loads from Garret, Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore. With these you can successfully hunt all CXP3 class game, and even Cape buffalo, water buffalo, bison, and elephant. The 405 grain flat point Penetrator load from Cor-Bon has taken Cape Buffalo, zebra, and eland. The 500 grain FMJ flat point from Buffalo Bore and the 540 grain Hammerhead bullets from Garret have taken game up to and including hippo, rhino, and elephant.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/45-70_big_game_hunter.htm
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidartha View Post
    He was also on one of the Law&Orders for a few years.

I also saw the movie and liked it.
    Slow to start, but then Thar Be Dinos
    Vincent was also in that cult classic Blood of Heroes/Salute to the Juggers

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Well done! I felt. There were Scenes in the Film that reminded me of the first Movie. I can't believe that Girl ran the Whole Film in High Heels! When will Women realize they cannot March, or Run in Heels! The Sad Scene to me was, when they found the Brontosaurus Heard. Yes I said Brontosaurus! I refuse to use that new Name they gave him in 1979! Please don't anyone Post it! They should have never allowed the Thunder Lizard to be Renamed! Great Movie! If you don't like this Film you don't like Dinosaurs! Brontosaurus will always be Brontosaurus! Paul
    If it bothers you that Brontosaurus was renamed, then the "saurus" suffix in general should bother you, since "saurus" (Greek "sauros") means "lizard" and Dino "saurs" were not "lizards".

A typical trait of lizards is that their limbs protrude straight from their sides (picture an alligator or crocodile). Dino "saurs" have limbs that point downward (or frontward).

Dino "saurs" had hollow bones, three clawed feet, a floating ribcage and a particular pelvic bone structure, all of which are found in today's BIRDS.

The earlier dino"saurs" had fairly large "arms", which became less and less useful over time. They almost evolved away (notice T-Rex) and then the arms began to evolve into wings, first skin-covered only then feather covered for better aerodynamics and thermal (body temperature) control.

Another big point is that lizards are "cold blooded" (i.e. their body temperature is controlled by the environment, not by their own metabolism). Dino "saurs" were warm blooded and in fact probably had higher normal body temperature than today's mammals.

Since flying animals need so much energy, they need to eat a lot (it's a joke when people say "she's so thin - she must eat like a bird" - if a person ate like a bird they would explode). Anyway it makes sense that the dino-birds would evolve smaller body sizes to conserve energy (heat loss from large surface area) and also to prevent themselves from eating all the food and dying out.

I wonder if the "saur" thing will ever be fixed? After all, they demoted Pluto from being a planet, they changed Brontosaurus to Apat (oops... forgot you don't want to see that - sorry)..
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    Vincent was also in that cult classic Blood of Heroes/Salute to the Juggers
    He's also a raving LIBERAL DEMOCRAT, who explodes at anyone who is a Republican. So he's an asshat.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Just got back from watching it. I thought it was very good and had enough action to keep anyone interested, even the "slower" beginning part.

However, when I go back and watch it again, there's one part I want to check out. I could have sworn that when Chris Pratt was shooting at the Indominus Rex with his Guide Gun, he shot twice, in rapid succession, without working the lever. (Wish mine would do the same...) Not sure about this, but will check closer the next time.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

My wife and I are planning on seeing it tomorrow in 3D at the Imax theater. Thought that might be a hoot!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Cool Info

But just in case, you had a hankering to see all the dinosaurs swapped out for dachshund puppies.....this is for you!

just watched this today..

What a shitload of fuck..............................
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

I guess you don't like Godzilla Neither.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12