Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back-to-Basic AR15A1 and AR15A2 builds (pic-heavy)

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Back-to-Basic AR15A1 and AR15A2 builds (pic-heavy)

I bought my first AR15 during the dark times of the '94 AWB - a DPMS A15. It was a hodge-podge of a rifle. An A1 upper receiver with a super-heavy barrel, .223 Remington chamber (not 5.56), interesting A2 handguards with a bipod stud, a pinned Wilson Combat compensator, an over-sized round forward assist, and, of course, no bayonet lug. The lower receiver was a standard lower with A2 furniture. To top things off, the rifle came with an "Ultralux" scope mounted to the carry handle.

Here she was not long after I purchased her next to the pre-ban mags I had for it:

The above rifle was a pig at about 10 pounds. It was accurate as long as the scope was kept on it - the rear iron sight could not be adjusted far enough to the right to compensate for the barrel's tendency to shoot way out to the left. Over time, the rifle sat and collected dust and I sold the complete lower receiver. Then the upper sat around collecting dust until I picked up a couple of stripped lowers and threw one together.

The rifle then began its morph into an A1 clone. I assembled the lower with an A1 pistol group and a standard parts kit with a single-stage trigger group. I located some A1 handguards and put them on the upper. I ditched the Ultralux scope for a cheap NC-Star Colt copy, since the iron sights were still useless. The rifle started looking better, but it still wasn't an accurate clone and it was still a heavy pig.

Here is the DPMS after stage-2 of evolution. It temporarily sported an A2 buttstock until I was able to find an M16 stock:

I kept the rifle with the annoyingly heavy barrel for while until I came across a website that sold reproduction M16 barrel assemblies. Score! For less than $200 I had a 20" M16A1 pencil barrel with a 1:9" twist and a 5.56 NATO chamber to replace the .223-chambered heavy barrel with unknown twist rate.

The new lightweight barrel above the original heavy barrel still mounted to the upper receiver:

The old heavy barrel removed compared to the new pencil barrel:

I installed the barrel, swapped over the A1 front sight post, sling swivel, and gas tube, screwed on an A1 flash suppressor, and inserted a new bolt carrier group. It came together nicely and I was impressed with the new weight - just over 6 and 1/2 pounds!

For the final touch, I removed the weird over-sized round forward assist and replaced it with the old teardrop-style forward assist:

Here is the weird oversized forward-assist next to a standard A2 FA:

Now the only original parts that remain from the original rifle are the ejection port cover assembly, the rear sight assembly, the upper receiver, and the charging handle. I sighted her in at 50 yards and test-fired 50 rounds through her the other day - she ran flawlessly and grouped nicely.
    Last edited by skorpion; 06-15-2015 at 09:12 AM.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Now time for the AR15A2 build.

I put together a lower receiver group using a CMMG parts kit with single-stage trigger (which I must say is quite smooth for a parts kit trigger) and standard A2 furniture.

A2 lower above and A1 lower below:

I then found a DPMS stripped A2 upper receiver on sale for $50 and installed an ejection port cover and forward assist:

Next on the to-do list is to order and install an A2 rear sight assembly, 20" government-profile barrel with 5.56 chamber and 1:7 twist, an A2 flash suppressor, a gas tube, delta ring assembly, and a bolt carrier group.

Completed A1 build on top, partially completed A2 below:

Last edited by skorpion; 06-15-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I can sympathize about the A2. I picked a Colt Sporter HB awhile back and that damn thing weighed more than my Fn Fal! It shot good but it was a workout to shoot freehand.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    I can sympathize about the A2. I picked a Colt Sporter HB awhile back and that damn thing weighed more than my Fn Fal! It shot good but it was a workout to shoot freehand.
    Yeah, I found that the HB-AR is only useful for prone and bench shooting.

Also, I was looking at the strange round hand guards that came with my DPMS A1 when I bought it and found they were made by Lonestar Ordnance in the 80s. They only fit on rifles made for the triangular hand guards.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Those will be a sweet pair when you're finished

I love that A1. Always wanted a real one.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Something just right about your rifle with the old style triangular handguards. Nice job!!

And if anyone thinks their AR-15 A2 is heavy you should pick up my daughter's competition AR-15. It weighs over 10 pounds and is guaranteed accurate to 1/4 MOA at 100 yards. My kid had amazing arms back in the days she played with that rifle! (and that was before installing the stock weight and handguard weights!!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice job skorp. I am in both camps on the AR15 rifle. I like a good heavy barrel rifle for serious long range shooting. On the other hand I like a light handy rifle that you can only get with the thin profile barrels. You give up accuracy but they are far more "practical" as a working weapon.

Thanks, fellas. Parts are on order for the A2 build, so some time this month I should be finishing that one.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

They grow on you. Once you get that A2 rifle built then you need to have a pencil barrel mid gas system carbine with telescoping stock. Once you do have that one the others will sit in the vault. Trust me, I know.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    They grow on you. Once you get that A2 rifle built then you need to have a pencil barrel mid gas system carbine with telescoping stock. Once you do have that one the others will sit in the vault. Trust me, I know.
    Sounds good to me.

PSA has one available with free shipping throgh fathers day. Barrel is cold hammer forged. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    That set-up is definitely in the works for when I build one for the ol' lady. I also have two carbine-length gas system ARs, one with the heavy SOCOM barrel and the other with the regular gov't profile. They are set up the same way and both handle very well. Plus I've got a .308 and a 9mm. The buggers multiply like rabbits!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Sounds good to me.

PSA has one available with free shipping throgh fathers day. Barrel is cold hammer forged. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html
    Not a bad price. Not much more than the cost of building a similar upper.

Very nice. Its not too late to make that second build into a 300AAC if you're so inclined. I have been wanting to add that to my fleet.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Very nice. Its not too late to make that second build into a 300AAC if you're so inclined. I have been wanting to add that to my fleet.
    I'll be sticking with 5.56/.223. I'm not ready to add yet another caliber to load and stock. I will save that for down the road when I start working on getting some suppressors.

The rear sight assembly and most of the other parts arrived. It was a breeze to install thanks to the Badger Ordnance rear sight tool to hold everything in place (otherwise it's a three-handed job). Now I'm just waiting on the barrel and the bolt carrier group to arrive so I can finish things up.

The packaged rear sight assembly (lots of little parts) and the rear sight assembly tool:

The upper as it sits now:

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Got the A2 about 95% done recently. I'm still waiting on the front sight post, detent, and spring for the front sight. I also ran into a problem with the gas tube - the holes for the roll pin were not drilled in the correct spot on the gas tube, making it useless. It was a DMPS product and was highly disappointed. I threw it into the trash and ordered a Yankee Hill Machine gas tube. Once those parts come in, this rifle will be complete!

The upper receiver, barrel, flash suppressor, hand guards, and delta ring assembly ready to be installed:

Here it is all assembled (minus the gas tube and front sight post):

Markings on the barrel:

A2 on top, A1 on bottom:

Very nice! I love the A1 and A2 configuraiton. I have an A2 HBAR, I need to throw a govt profile barrel on it to shave some weight.

Do you have any 20 rounders? The 30s just don't look right in an A1.

Thanks. The difference in weight is huge when you switch to a slimmer barrel. I got the barrels for these builds from http://www.AR15sport.com. I liked that they already had the gas blocks mounted and pinned. As far as 20-rounders, I've got a number of them floating around. They're great for bench shooting, naturally.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post

A2 on top, A1 on bottom:

Very cool builds. I started my thread recently about building a M4 clone, but the retro-looking M16A1 rifles are pretty righteous themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Very cool builds. I started my thread recently about building a M4 clone, but the retro-looking M16A1 rifles are pretty righteous themselves.
    Thanks. A1 and 60's era M16 clones are actually quite the challenge due to issues with finding parts. There are a lot of little minor details. For example, my A1 build has the tapered slip ring instead of the correct flat slip ring, the bolt catch is not correct, and the lower receiver is nowhere near correct other than the furniture it has mounted to it. Original parts are sort of pricey and some are impossible to find (like the flat slip rings). The A2 build is a much more accurate representation. The only discrepancies on that one are the markings on the receiver and the black (instead of chrome-colored) gas tube I installed.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Thanks. A1 and 60's era M16 clones are actually quite the challenge due to issues with finding parts. There are a lot of little minor details. For example, my A1 build has the tapered slip ring instead of the correct flat slip ring, the bolt catch is not correct, and the lower receiver is nowhere near correct other than the furniture it has mounted to it. Original parts are sort of pricey and some are impossible to find (like the flat slip rings). The A2 build is a much more accurate representation. The only discrepancies on that one are the markings on the receiver and the black (instead of chrome-colored) gas tube I installed.
    This guys got slip rings
    http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.co...tid=ARPART-115

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast