Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back-to-Basic AR15A1 and AR15A2 builds (pic-heavy)

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

All necessary parts are currently en-route for the A4 clone. In the mean time, I threw a CMMG lower parts kit into the lower this morning. Took about 30 mins. Whenever the receiver extension and stock come in I'll be able to slap them on and the lower receiver will be done.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yeah, these things are tinker toys, just totally easy to build if a person has any slight mechanical aptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Yeah, these things are tinker toys, just totally easy to build if a person has any slight mechanical aptitude.
    Yep. As you know, a monkey can transform a pile of parts into to a completed AR15 rifle in a matter of hours. Some guys assemble model airplanes, others assemble firearms.

I'm still waiting on parts for the A4 build...

In the mean time, I decided to use up some other AR parts I had lying around and put this together:

DPMS heavy barrel, .223 chamber, Spikes upper, Black Sheep Tactical billet lower, spikes parts kit, Seekins Precision bolt catch, vintage Lonestar Ordnance handguards, bipod, 2-stage trigger, Mapgul MOE rifle stock, Magpul MIAD grip, and 6x42 scope in Nikon one-piece mount.

What ... no bayonet lug? Totally useless! Gives it that PC Colt rifle look having no lug.

What ... no bayonet lug? Totally useless! Gives it that PC Colt rifle look having no lug.
    Who needs a bayo lug when one can muzzle-thump a thug with 200 pounds of AWB-era barrel?

The remaining parts for the A4 clone finally arrived!

The remaining parts for the lower:

The AR15A4 in the womb getting ready to birth:

The completed lower receiver assembly with an "exploded" view of the rest of the parts before I began assembling the upper:

Barrel assembly and gas tube mated to the upper receiver and sling swivel installed:

Next came the KAC RIS:

I then installed the KAC rail covers, the KAC forward vertical grip, the Lucid HD7 optic (can't afford to drop $1200 on an ACOG for a range toy), KAC micro BUIS, and fitted the upper and lower receiver assemblies together. An M16A4 clone was then born!

The evolution of the 20" M16/AR15:

Last edited by skorpion; 08-11-2015 at 07:50 AM.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Nice trio, now when you going to build a shorty?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

Very nice AR builds, all.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Nice trio, now when you going to build a shorty?
    Thanks. I wouldn't mind putting together an XM177-style carbine some day.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Very nice AR builds, all.
    Thanks, Mr. K.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Thanks for the link. They've got other small parts in "XM" grey. I didn't know where I'd find an original mag release button and trigger guard in XM grey. Now my M16A1 clone has all the correct parts!

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    Thanks for the link. They've got other small parts in "XM" grey. I didn't know where I'd find an original mag release button and trigger guard in XM grey. Now my M16A1 clone has all the correct parts!
    That website has been great to me - all of the barrels from the above builds are from that site.

How is that LUCID working out for you?
    The previous ones prior to the Gen 3 have 50% bad reviews with those who actually shot their guns.
    Even the new Gen 3s aren't waterproof as described.

I "found" them 2 weeks ago and really want one based on looks and options, but the bad reviews are making me want to spend $200-$250 more on real red dots.

BISHOP

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    How is that LUCID working out for you?
    The previous ones prior to the Gen 3 have 50% bad reviews with those who actually shot their guns.
    Even the new Gen 3s aren't waterproof as described.

I "found" them 2 weeks ago and really want one based on looks and options, but the bad reviews are making me want to spend $200-$250 more on real red dots.

BISHOP
    I read nothing but good about the Gen 3 before I purchased it last year, but this version was new then and probably didn't have a lot of real-world testing at the time. So far it has been solid. Before the A4, I had it on a 16" AR and had no issues there, either. Granted, I've never rough-housed it or put it through any real abuse other than using it at the range.

The A1 clone is finally complete and correct. I ordered the flat slip ring a while back and had it sitting around. I also found that Brownell's now carries A1 stripped lowers.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod88173.aspx

So I ordered up an A1 lower, transferred the parts over, and swapped out the A2 delta ring for the A1 slip ring. She finally looks "correct."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123