Thread: Big bore AR: 50 beowulf, 458 socom, or 450 bushmaster?

Big bore AR: 50 beowulf, 458 socom, or 450 bushmaster?

I'm thinking about a big bore AR but don't know much about them. I'd most likely cast my own bullets so the expense of bullets is not a factor for me. Also, are all three proprietary brass? I'd like to be able to make my brass from existing stock - like the 300blk is made from .556.

Well, that's my thoughts so far. Any of you with knowledge on this and/or experience, it would be great if you'd share.

Thanks
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

I went .458 Socom. A rock island upper on a Polymer Lower. I get my new brass from Starline and used brass on gunbroker. Lots of casting possibilities for this load. No alterations needed for AR mags but some carve out a small bevel at mouth of mag to assist flat point bullets. To justify the build I took it boar hunting. SST tipped 300 grain bullets cause piggy to crash on impact. No tracking required.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I have no feed back on this topic. Thought about one a couple of times but never got serious enough to really dig in on the topic and investigate it. Personally I'd go with one of the .45 cal variants. I can't imagine needing heavier bullets for anything I'm ever going to see in North America.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

So have you made any decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    So have you made any decision?
    I'm leaning toward 458 Socom right now. There is a very good selection of bullet molds for it. I'm tending toward the heavier sub-sonic loadings for future silencer use.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization